Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Forum Resident

Ok. So what would the balanced out do, same as pre-out, just balanced?

2. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Different connectors. Not every amp will have balanced connections. I'd just use the unbalanced RCA out.

Shangri-La likes this.
  3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Yes, and if it's similar to my P 7 preamp, the balanced outputs will also be high-pass filtered if that option is selected for the single ended RCA outputs. If your amp has balanced inputs, use those. Possibly it won't matter too much, but John Curl (Parasound amp designer, not sure if he's responsible for these amps per se) likes balanced connections. The ICs don't have to be expensive, Mogami Gold from Amazon, or Blue Jeans would be good. Possibly getting 'better' ones could be better, hard to say. Similar to RCAs, use something like Blue Jeans, at least spend more than $1 or something ... :D

Shangri-La likes this.
  4. Shangri-La

Awesome - thanks! Yeah I mostly use Blue Jeans cables and will place an order with them. The HINT is a pretty versatile unit.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

NOT certain, but maybe it's possible to bi-amp using the internal amp to drive say the woofers and an external amp to drive the mid/tweeters (if your speakers are capable). OR vice versa. The external amp would need variable gain/volume to match the internal amp ...

Shangri-La likes this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Hey, I could do that too … both my speakers are bi-ampable. But my 300B amps are only 8 Wpc likely on a good day … the A 21 puts out 400 Wpc into 4 ohms. The Silver 8s are pretty efficient though. Average 6 ohms above 650Hz, the woofer/mid transition.

Heck I might just try this. I can turn down the gain on the A 21.

Anyone else tried this? :D

PS: I don’t think I’ll try this on my Triangle Tituses, altho I could. Their mid/woofer runs up to 6kHz, so 300Bs would only be on the tweeter. The sound is so sweet already I don’t feel a need to experiment here.

7. Shangri-La

My setup is not so complicated heheh,, just need a preamp to connect amp and DAC. Thinking about getting the benchmark LA4..

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you look at page 13 of the HINT 6 manual it gives detailed information about the preouts both balanced and unbalanced.

Left and Right Preamp Output Jacks (Balanced and Unbalanced) The HINT 6 Preamp Output jacks have the same preamp line level audio signal that goes to its power amp stage. The Preamp Output jacks are used for connecting an external power amplifier. An external amp could be used for bi-amping your speakers or for driving speakers in another room. Both RCA (unbalanced) and XLR (balanced) outputs are provided and both types may be used at the same time. If you are using two subwoofers in your system and wish them to be stereo (rather than mono) you could also use the Left and Right Preamp Output jacks, rather than the Sub Out jacks for this purpose. If you are using stereo subs in this way, you would need the HINT 6 High Pass Crossover switch to be set to Off.

The Balanced XLR Left and Right Outputs have the same signal as the Left and Right RCA Output jacks. Balanced outputs have 6dB higher gain. Both RCA and XLR outputs can be connected at the same time. The high pass crossover switch effects both the RCA, XLR and speaker outputs.

https://parasound.com/pdfs/hint6-manual.pdf

Shangri-La likes this.
  9. Shangri-La

Thank you! Apparently I forgot there's a wonderful thing called manual ; )

timind and Bill Mac like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Been there done that :winkgrin:.

Shangri-La likes this.
  11. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Parasound 2125v2 and 200pre getting broken in now, and I can hear their strengths and weaknesses.

Listening to some jazz via CD and vinyl earlier tonite. Parasound performs well EXCEPT where tasked with complicated passages and at volume. There I hear graininess and harshness.

On some Clark Terry big band vinyl tonite I heard none of that. PS was superb playing some pieces featuring sax.

But last nite listening to some hard bop jazz and some with more of an electronic sound the 2125v2 and 200pre were at times just awful sounding.

12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, hopefully things might get better with some more hours? Not sure how the 2125 does into <4 ohms, which the Lintons reach at some bass frequencies.

AHA (maybe try the switch):
    • 225 watts x 2 into 4 ohms (2-ohm stable with load selector switch)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

You might try the 20Hz high pass filter as well, the Lintons can’t go that low anyway. Don’t know if these settings could help your issues, hopefully.

14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I am now using my Parasound P6 phono stage to power a Shure V15 type III/Jico SAS-B cartridge. The sound tone/character is best described as nuanced and airy with black as coal background. In other words, it just sounds spectacular. Now wondering if the Halo JC 3 Jr. would deliver a better result, in any manner better could be appraised?

15. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I am pretty sure it will! All my external phono stages (€500 max) do a much better job than the P5 phono stage (to my ears).

16. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

Is the P6 phono stage similar to the P5?

17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I wouldn't know. Maybe the P6 phono stage is miles better (which would surprise me but it's possible). I'm just sharing my experience with the P5 phono stage.

18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes, I understand. I have been thinking about purchasing the Halo JC3 Jr. but its feature/adjustment set does not appear to support the two carts which my P6 also does not seem to properly support: AT-VM540ML (brightness) and AT-Art9XA (gain). At any rate, at $1499 it's too expensive to not get the job done so I have not pulled the trigger for it yet. My Shure V15 type III/Jico SAS-B however does seem to be properly supported by the P6 phono stage so I question the value of the JC3 Jr. for it when it seems I already have perfection?

bever70 likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Anyone looking for a pristine silver a21+ check the FS forum.

Audiofan1 and Rick58 like this.
  20. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Is this preamp a 150pf capacitance spec. Are all of the Parasounds 150pf?

21. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Not quite sure why it wouldn’t be a good match for either of those carts? 47k input impedance and 66db of gain when you use the balanced output.
    [​IMG]

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Don't see an input capacitance spec in this. That's the key to the AT vm540ml. Needs to be under 200pf with cables or you get a brighter sounding cart as the post noted. And of course the 540ml is MM so 40-45 db of gain is all you need.

C.Ludwig and bever70 like this.
  23. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I stand corrected.

24. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

Don’t know Parasound has no spec for it.

25. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

This guy claims to have asked Parasound directly and received an answer of 150pf.