Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Please share!

Audiofan1 and pdxway like this.
  2. n'joymusic

n'joymusic Forum Resident

Hey Slippers-on...would like to as well....
    Would like for a couple more residents to chime in...
    who care to hear without flame wars...

Would there be a way to discuss by way of a private chat?

Kinda of new here so don't really don't know if possible... to private chat ..

Best wishes...

avanti1960 likes this.
  3. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please go ahead and share publicly.

Audiofan1, Slippers-on and avanti1960 like this.
  4. n'joymusic

Okay then ....please everyone no flaming....

The tweak I refer to are fuses....some of you may already be using them Idk....
    With my system have been down the proverbial rabbit hole....the current rage
    over at PSAudio..is the debate of Synergistics Purple fuse and Audio Magics new
    M1 fuses.

Have been through the various color fuse types including the new Purple.
    Some have compared Purple to the new M1 Audio Magic....

So the sq of the M1 brings forth a much fuller bass. mid bass, along with rich
    fuller midranges while maintaining beautiful well defined delicately nuanced highs.
    All this with great room filling blossom and swells....just beautiful..
    Burn in time required....

Just the one fuse replacing the stock JC5 fuse of same value will go a long way
    to providing these changes....

While the price of admission is high certainly cheaper than many speaker cables
    or ics.

Please please remember this is my own experience and ymmv please lets
    keep civil...

If there were a section for tweaks I would have gone there...

Thanks everyone for your patience..

Best wishes

Audiofan1, avanti1960 and pdxway like this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i havent found a need to level match. I basically know how loud i listen with certain music.
    the pass is very under rated fyi, 25 watts nominal. stereophile tested it at 80 watts 8ohms and 130 watts at 4ohms 1% thd, 2 ohm stable.

the jc5 will get another chance but in my notes it does not have my favorite feature of the pass' sound, a soaring midrange that is slightly forward and in its own air space yet sweet with zero forward harshness.
    amazing sounding jazz instrumentals and female vocals.

Rick58, Audiofan1 and pdxway like this.
  6. avanti1960

bad fuses can definitely cause flaming..... :)

Audiofan1, richsto and n'joymusic like this.
  7. avanti1960

the jc5 is actually warmer sounding than the xa25.

n'joymusic likes this.
  8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident Thread Starter

You got to go with what you like.

Anyway, I am sure you have seen this video.... ;)

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  9. n'joymusic

Now that's a hoot ...
    Just one leetle eeeety biiiity problemo....a bad fuse cause flaming... hmmmm...:D

Thanks for this good piece of information....appreciate my JC5 more now:righton:

Thanks Avanti 1960

Best wishes all

10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Oh yeah...I'm upon after market fuses...no flame wars here.

Audiofan1 and n'joymusic like this.
  11. n'joymusic

They do make a positive difference

Thanks
    Best wishes

Slippers-on likes this.
  12. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

I use an HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse on my Jc5

n'joymusic and Rick58 like this.
  13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I have one in my A 21 … can’t say I did before/after/blind whatever, but after doing swaps back and forth I liked what one did in a previous amp, so went for it right away when I got it a couple years ago.

Dang just realized I should get one for my new to me McIntosh C2300 preamp. :D

I have to admit, the previous “amp” was actually a Mc C220 preamp … the silver fuse gave it a little kick in the clarity department.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Audiofan1 likes this.
  14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Yeah but before that it’s … OK it’s on the steep slope toward 1%. Technically (sorry couldn’t resist !!! forgive me!) it’s only 0.1% at like 67W/105W or something into 8/4 ohms. Anyway, well over rating. But still no match on paper power wise to the JC5.

Seems like most/nearly all of the time there’s no sign of strain with the XA-25. Sounds nice to be able to compare both long term as our friend is doing.

mreeter and pdxway like this.
  15. n'joymusic

Good to some of you are using specialty fuses...
    Hi-Fi tuning Supremes are fuller sounding airier than stock....Purple has much more
    of everything over the Supremes, but the M1 Audio Magic has a fuller more rounded but well
    defined bass, mid bass, mids, air hf is really good...yet in upper mid hf the Purple has more resolution.

Understanding this is in my system and your results may vary ymmv.

Interesting...my JC5's mids soar all in it's own airspace is sweet with zero harshness...Seems my JC5
    excells in all the aspects you mention.

You mention slight forwardness of your Pass's midrange....wonder if this could be compression taking
    place with the Pass....as the increased power and dynamic range of the JC5 places certain parts
    of music ..whether vocals or instruments further back in the soundstage giving a greater sense
    of depth of stage, width and verticality....

I once demoed a Parasound P7 preamp that placed me front row center...seemingly sitting in the
    midst of the musicians themselves.....Didn't really like front row ...
    Sow now using Wyred4Sound Stage 2 that gives me about row 14 perspective...a more panoramic
    view of the soundstage which is my preference...

Each one of us has differing preferences ....

Thank you all
    And Best Wishes!!

avanti1960 and Rick58 like this.
  16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Agreed about preferences. Unlike you I get a kick out of sitting 'front row' seemingly surrounded by the musicians, with their instruments floating just a touch away.
    I use an older P5 preamp.

17. avanti1960

jc5 back in.

18. n'joymusic

Give it some warm up time...with my JC5 about an hour to come full bloom..

Best wishes

Audiofan1, avanti1960 and mreeter like this.
  19. SoCalUser

SoCalUser Forum Resident

Approaching 1 week listening to my JC5, liking it a lot. I’ve managed to place it on the top shelf of my rack and it’s running much cooler.

Classical music has tremendous depth, huge soundstage, seems like endless resolving power for the peaks, and no distortion. Listening to Aaron Copeland and the Minnesota Orchestra. This in comparison to my Parsound Hint which was operating as standalone amp, I had the speakers fairly close together, and it still didn’t sound as full. Not saying it sounded bad, but the JC5 is in a completely different league.

A major contributing factor to the sound, I’ve managed to place my speakers pretty far apart, which contributes to the sound stage.

20. avanti1960

The JC5 definitely sounds better than the a21+ and I liked that one a lot too. The music is faster and better timed / knitted together.
    It is kind of an enigma where it will sound dark and opaque on certain music and then open up with a burst of midrange and lower treble.

21. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

I think the late Harry Pearson referred to this as "continuousness" ! The Jc5 has it in spades and it's positively addictive:uhhuh:

n'joymusic, pdxway and SoCalUser like this.
  22. n'joymusic

Avanti 1960

You may be experiencing the greater dynamic range capability of the JC5 over the Pass XA25,
    given the much greater power and current available with the JC5 enabling the JC5 to better
    complete the acoustic depth of image in the soundstage...(How dare I speak such
    sacrilledge:D)

Continuosness is a spot on description of the JC5....and mine has this in spades....Yep it is both addictive and spoils me rotten...:goodie:
    Audiofan 1 Seems you might have my JC5 ...perhaps I might have yours...:wiggle: Great description!!

Yes indeed the JC5 is that good!!!

Hey ya'll have good afternoon..

Best wishes

Audiofan1 and SoCalUser like this.
  23. avanti1960

Sorry guys but the JC5 is going bye bye. It did have some stunning moments and excellent bass but my other amp has better synergy with my system. It is an excellent amplifier and very good value.

Catcher10, Audiofan1, Rick58 and 3 others like this.
  24. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Good stuff...glad you found a winner bud.I think amps are a tough one...not as cut'n dried as some other equipment decisions.

Audiofan1, Rick58 and avanti1960 like this.
  25. avanti1960

thanks. it wasn't that difficult once I put the pass back in and heard what i thought was missing. the pass are the real deal.

Audiofan1, Helom, Rick58 and 2 others like this.