Parasound Halo A 21(+), Audio Research Ref 75 or Carver Crimson 275

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

I sometimes grimace when I see threads just like this one; but, I see why they would be useful.

To save you the trip, my associated equipment is as follows:

Front end (comprises both higher res digital and analog). I like it all (detail, fullness and grip)

Audio Research SP17 preamp
    Parasound Halo A23 power amp (to be replaced)
    JBL L112 loudspeakers

2. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I would say go with the AR Ref 75. With your existing Pre, I think it would be the ideal choice.

56GoldTop likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why does it have to be between those 3 specific models?

Standingstones and 56GoldTop like this.
  4. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I vote Ref 75.

I had the pleasure of having the Ref 150 in my system for a while. Just perfect sound: neutral, great resolution, with a little tube magic.

Be aware though that these things get hot (especially the 150 with its 8 kt120s), and that the fan is not dead silent.

Enjoy!

56GoldTop likes this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I own the A21 (250 watts) --- the A21+ ups it to 300 watts --- you own the A23 so you know that the A series of Parasound amps is pretty good and why you are probably thinking of A21+.

But is 300 watts a overkill for your speakers --- or do you see yourself upgrading those some day maybe and future-proofing? If you get the A21+ you can rule out overly efficient speakers in the future!!

The Ref 75 is an interesting choice too and a whole new direction from Parasound......

6. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I voted for the Ref 75 because it is the only one of the three I have experience with. I had a Ref 75 for a year and enjoyed it enough that I recently sold it to buy a used Ref 75 SE. Initially I used an LS 27 line stage then a Ref 5 SE.

The Ref 75 is very neutral and seems more powerful than 75 watts. While it runs a little warm, with a single pair of power tubes per channel it shouldn't double as a space heater and there is no fan with the 75/SE.

One nice thing with buying used gear, especially Audio Research, is that you can flip it without losing half of what you paid if it turns out to not be your thing.

Uglyversal and Scott in DC like this.
  7. 56GoldTop

Ultimately, I suppose it doesn't. However, in order to actually purchase something, you have to narrow down your search sooner or later.
    It would be easier to tell you why they have made my list rather than why others haven't:

A 21(+): I like the sound of my A 23 and from what I've heard the A 21(+) is a step up in more than one way

Ref 75: I haven't heard one of these with all types of music; but, I've had a mouth-dropping moment with one of these. Nice, nice sound. I'm a little concerned about tube life. On the other hand when I thought I might have an issue with the new to me SP17 and called to see if AR would be willing to look at/work on a very much out of production/out of warranty, second hand unit, they still said, "Yes."

Carver Crimson 275: This one intrigues me as it's a tube amp; but, supposed to go sparingly on the power tubes and have noticeable finesse and bass slam... ...in a tube amp. Could this possibly be the best of both worlds? Sweet looking amp, too... ...a tube way.

I have familiarity with the sonic attributes of some others (for instance, a selection or two from Krell, etc.) but they were not enough to sway me and ruled out others for issues not related to the way they sound (for instance, Mark Levinson); but, I'd rather not rumple anyone's feathers. And, Class D Jeff Rowland's... ...well, I'd be divorced for having sold the children and depleted the equity in our home.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. 56GoldTop

Fan noise would be a problem for me. I've ruled out a few possibilities because they had fans. From what I could tell, the Ref 75 does not appear to have fans...?

9. 56GoldTop

Agreed on your assessment of the A series.

The L112's sensitivity is listed as 89dB with max amp power of 300W; so, that seems right about in line. I don't have Harbeth funds for speaker at this time; so, until I do I am really, really happy with the L112's. If I do get something else in the future, I doubt I would part with them.

Agree, too, the Ref 75 is certainly a different direction.

10. 56GoldTop

Only thing I'm concerned about is LF control, I've become accustomed to it and wonder if over time I'll miss it.

11. Strat-Mangler

@TommyTunes bought one. He liked it so much that he upgraded it to the SE version about 1.5 years later. The difference is the SE uses KT-150 instead of KT-120 tubes and apparently is a big upgrade in SQ.

Back to Tubes, ARC's REF 75

Maybe ask him about tube life?

56GoldTop likes this.
  12. 56GoldTop

Time to read that thread. Thanks!

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Great amp, if you don’t need lots of power it’s nearly perfect. After the upgrade I only kept it about 2 months before moving to a GS 150 which was a wonderful amp, very similar to the 75 but the power added a lot to the lower end. Unfortunately when I upgrade my speakers to Wilson Alexia 2’s they required significantly more power so now I’m running Pass Lab XA100’s

14. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I would be shocked if the Ref 75 isn’t by far the best amp. Only question is how they would handle those 12 inch vintage JBL woofers. 112’s are pretty good, they are far more accurate than original 100’s. For rocking out to Zep, they would cream Harbeths.

15. 56GoldTop

That's my concern as well, how the Ref 75 would handle the 128H's.

I've never heard the Harbeth 40's in person; so, no verdict from me on that. I take it you have?

16. Strat-Mangler

I heard the 40.2s. No joke, very best speaker I've ever heard. Alluring, fantastic presentation, musical, and spooky presence. Even if I had the money, I don't have the room for them, but wouldn't hesitate if I had both. Maybe one day. :D

17. 56GoldTop

That's more in line with everything I've ever heard or read about them.

18. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

No audiophile approved speaker will outrock 12 inch jbl’s on Zep. Like peanut butter and jelly.

19. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I plan on trying to get my hands on a crimson 275. Supposedly they're tough to get ahold of as they're having trouble keeping up with demand.

20. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've heard the Ref 75. Absolutely superb sounding amp. It was all I could do from keeping myself from buying it, even though I can't afford one.

But the fact of the matter is that how well it matches with your speakers is more important. The best sounding amp in the world which doesn't have synergy with your speakers is not going to sound its best.

ellingtonic likes this.
  21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I bought a Ref75 and the SE came out just a week or so later. Mine immediately had an issue and blew a fuse and when I brought it back to the dealer I swapped it for an SE for the difference (discounted a bit). The Ref75 is just a stunning amp and the SE jut does everything a bit better, including somewhat better tube life due to the KT-150's. It has a holographic quality that I have not really heard on lesser amps. It is actually better than my speakers or inputs and I expected it to be my last power amp.

As to heat, yes it gets warm, but I would not call it hot. I keep it in a wooden cabinet that is well ventilated and keep a cooling unit on top of it. Never gets over about 95degrees. That bay in the cabinet also has my LS27 preamp. I have never found the 75W to be limiting in any way.

I am probably going to be parting with both amp and preamp at some point, but it will certainly not be because I don't absolutely love them, I just am crazy limited for space. I had a really good year and kinda went a little nuts open that purchase :laugh: , but unlike Tarnished above, I was not able to resist it!

For the OP, Please note that the Ref75 is Balanced in only, It can not be fed directly from the SP17

56GoldTop likes this.
  22. 56GoldTop

Yup, but there are ways around that.

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I replaced my A 23 with the A 23+ amp that provides 160 WPC and it was a big upgrade. It exceeded my expectations greatly!

24. 56GoldTop

Good to hear!

Now, don't take this personally...

As an owner of the A 23, the aesthetics of the A 23 / A 23+ aren't doing it for me. I originally thought I was going to get a P 5. Then, they discontinued it. I thought I was going to get a P 6 after that; but, I ended up going for the SP17. The SP17 makes the A 23 / A 23+ look... ...small. In my narrow world view, power amps should be larger, at least as wide and taller, than preamps. (I fully admit to vanity.) Nope, nothing to do with sound and/or performance. If I had gone for the P 6, there would be no problem; but, it just doesn't look right with the SP17. I know... first world problem. My A 23 has the not "silver" finish. Parasound's "silver" does not match what is generally thought of as "silver-face", a sore spot with me. So, if I do go with the A 21 / A 21+ it will have to be the black version. At least then, the handles will match. As for wattage, I have no problem with the power rating of the A 23 as it is without the "+" and the "lower" wattage of the Ref 75 and Crimson 275 (in real world use in my room) likely won't matter much. The Crimson 275, being an exposed tube type power amp, with a crimson base is an eye-catcher that won't match anything... which is better than looking like it should, but doesn't. My 2 cents, there.

25. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

If you like your current sound stay with Parasound. If you want change go with the Carver. If you want to make the audiophile choice go with the AR. I don't think you'll be disappointed in any of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.