Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Just keep on top of supply. There were a lot of folks who wanted a budgie by the time the news of how good they were went mainstream. Then there were none. I have not seen one Puffin on the used market as of a couple days ago....that's unheard of for similarly priced hifi gear as far as I know. Maybe check in on the Parks audio website or set the Parks audio facebook page for notifications after joining the page.....dont find yourself one of those "I missed out, crap!" folks.

I believe you will dig your Puffin once you own one.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  2. Castor

Castor Active Member

Hi all,

My name is Tom and I am newbie here. Few minutes ago I ordered Puffin. I did it because Lounge audio do not ship anymore to EU and second option VALAB LCR is at the momment out of my budget.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Hi Tom, and welcome to the board, though there are more than just 3 phono preamps available in the audio world :)

The VALAB is an amazing deal based on what you get, but a little scary how complex the discrete circuitry is with all the adjustment pots, presumably to avoid using signal capacitors between stages and to set bias levels. One of the people here didn't like it quite as much as some of the other glowing reports around the net, and no way to try before you buy. But if I was in the under $1000 new phono preamp market, it may be one that I would take a chance on.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

How did you find it compared to the puffin?

5. Davey

It's bigger and heavier, though I'm just going by the pictures.

:)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Jelloalien and honestabe316 like this.
  6. honestabe316

But seriously.... ?

Castor likes this.
  7. Castor

Castor Active Member

I was just looking for decent phono pre. Last two in my rig were Jasmin lpII (sold), and borrowed ESE lab Nubiru. Two days ago I want to order Lounge LCR and find out, they do not ship to EU anymore. Little googling and Iam here.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think this thread gives a very good overview of whats going on with it. As time has gone on and more people have actually heard it, the concerns about DSP have largely been dismissed. People still have an issue with that but not anyone who owns it. I just moved some equipment around and put my Puffin back into service. I have it in a vintage system and it is much better than the internal in the McIntosh MAC 4100 it is connected to.

9. Castor

Castor Active Member

I try to buy today, tomorow vintage. :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. honestabe316

I did initially have concerns about the DSP but once in my system (couple of months now) i could not be happier....i spend more time focused on how good this amazingly priced phono pre makes my vinyl collection sound in my system which is made up of components that are at a higher price point

11. Davey

In your profile you list the Budgie as your phono preamp, is that what you are comparing the Puffin to? Just curious what you've put it up against. Not meaning to put you on the spot, but it's helpful to others to know how these lower cost options compare.

bever70 likes this.
  12. honestabe316

Yes, i guess i havent added the puffin. I compare it to the budgie and the phono stage in my Cronus Magnum 2 Integrated. I also used the phonostage on my Yamaha CX-2 preamp initially.

The Puffin has been in the system since i got it a couple months ago. I prefer it over the other phono pres ive used. It is true that if i were to try more of the phono pres in the price range my opinions could change but as it stands, the puffin leads the pack. Its deqd quiet and brings out the most detail ive heard as well as realistic presentaion of the instruments and vocals.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  13. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I agree with everything you say about the Puffin. My albums have never sounded better since I added the Puffin to my setup.

CBackley, Bill Why Man and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. honestabe316

I have had a chinook, allnic, or rogue ares in the back of my mind for a while but since getting the Puffin, ive kind of put those thoughts way back on the burner

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  15. I’ve also recently acquired a Puffin, running it as an outboard phono pre on my McIntosh MA5100 amp/pre-amp. It also blows away the internal McIntosh phono pre.

I really dug my McIntosh phono pre, but the Puffin just smokes it from every angle: detail, soundstage, dimensionality, tone controls, gain/load flexibility, mids, bass, treble, LOMC options, you name it.

With the LOMC option, I’ve moved from a Denon DL-110 to a Denon DL-103 earlier this week. The sound quality on my vinyl collection has entered light-speed thanks to the Puffin. I’ve stopped watching television altogether.

Huffin and Puffin,

Bill

16. honestabe316

Just last night i threw on my Vertigo U.K. copy of Communique' by the Dire Straits...i always preferred it to my U.S. 33 1/3 and i was floored by how much better it sounded last night going through the Puffin...Theres is no question about it...and im playing more vinyl since i got my Puffin...

17. How does the Puffin compare to the Cronus Magnum 2’s phono pre? Now that the Puffin has freed me up to look at all-tube integrated amps with or without phono inputs, I’ve been curious about the Rogue, PrimaLuna, and Line Magnetic integrated models in the sub-$2,000 range. I like the idea of the Puffin powered by the tube-amp stage.

18. It’s stunning how much better some of my best LPs sound. I’ve been taking a stroll through my Robert Ludwig-cut albums (Tattoo You, Led Zeppelin II, and Jailbreak, so far). These records are just jumping out of my speakers like never before with detail and dimensionality adding to the hot-cut power. I’d swear Mick and Keith were sharing a mike right in my living room during “Worried About You.”

It makes this grown man cry,

Bill

GKH and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. honestabe316

My thoughts are this: if i was primarily listening to digital and dabbled in vinyl, the Cronus Magnums phonostage is more than adequate. They made huge improvements from the CM 1 to the CM2 in the phonostage according to every review or comments ive seen.

It was as good as my Yamaha CX-2's phonostage which i felt was really good. The budgie took it toa different level as far as adding more warmth and allowing some tube rolling to fine tune the sound.

The puffin took it up 2 notches as far as being able to create the warmth while still having the dead silence of a SS unit.

As far as tube integrateds ive heard nothing but good about Prima Luna and Rogue with the exception of the rogue being touted the best bang for the buck........i dont see myself ever parting with my Cronus Magnum unless i decide to go the mono-block direction one day and even then i would be hard pressed to dump the Rogue....

Bill Why Man likes this.
  20. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I think the CM3 is the one with the good phono stage.

21. honestabe316

The Cm1 was not good...everyone despised it. The CM 2 got much better reviews....i belive the 3 added MC if i recall correctly. It also can now can be switched to triode mode as well. I think the caps and resistors were upgraded as well....i got the cap upgrade on my CM2 half a year ago which made a nice difference. Since i got the upgrade and have a seperate headphone amp and phonostage, i felt the upgrade to a 3 isnt important as im not overly in need of triode mode.

22. honestabe316

I have several RL pressings, ACDC, Donald Fagan, Foghat, Rush, etc as well as the non RL pressings of the same albums and the man has a special touch for sure.....

With the right mastering, and a synergistic Cartridge, table, amp and phone pre in the system, its a no brainer to go vinyl....id be lying if i said i didnt have some digital that betters the vinyl i have of the same album.....but when all in the analog chain is good, vinyl just cant be beat.....
    I may be naive and a novice in some areas but i readily agree that analog sound and the human ear have a better, more natual relationship than digital sound and the human ear.....music that is dead quiet does not make it better than a noisy analog pressing....the annoyance factor might be lower With digital but i feel closer to the real wood, brass, ivory, strings, and human voice with well replayed analog music.

I will go out on a limb and say that digital music is great for the vast majority of people....but there are some of us who maybe are just more sensitive to the digital presentation and what were listening for is is the sound of analog.
    Id like to believe i wouldnt pay almost 5k for a turntable/ tonearm/cart/ phone pre setup if i thought a say 2k cd player or streamer gave me a superior sound

Bill Why Man likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Then you have no business posting about it, do you?

24. honestabe316

I Think in the "old days" when independent folks would make a really great piece of gear in thier home workshop, thats where it would stay...unless someone or company with mega funds latched onto it, marked it up 5 to 10 x and sold it on the mass market under thier name.

Today, with the advent of the internet and the ease of manf, marketing, shipping, etc, these small guys can sell thier great product at a fair price without the costs going through the roof.

I think people are still skeptical that quality can be affordable....the budgie and Puffin are great examples

25. Davey

I don't really know what this is about, sorry if I offended someone, the person I responded to mentioned he considered the Puffin and Lounge and VALAB LCR preamps before buying the Puffin, and since I was familiar with the VALAB, having read some about it and probably having posted about it here in the past, I said that I thought it was a pretty amazing deal based on all you get for the price, but the complexity scares me a bit. I didn't compare it to anything or comment on the sound since, as I said in the post, I don't have one. Hardly seems enough to offend someone, but point taken, moving on ...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    bajaed likes this.