Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You're right, bad is too harsh lol. Compared to my Dynaco stage though, there's absolutely no comparison. The Dynaco is sweet and detailed, and has great synergy with my Thorens TD 145/AT440MLA. I've had no desire to upgrade since using it.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Whoops, posted in the wrong thread. I was probably going for this.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

The Puffin even floats on air...

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Photoshopped? :)

6. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Is it "airy"?

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  7. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

It is elevated by the music of Little Jimmy Martin.

8. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Just saw a Facebook post by Shannon that he's shipping out a Puffin with a bunch of settings for tape decks. Said he might be adding it to all of the units.

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. doug527

doug527 Active Member

Seems Shannon is getting away from tube circuitry for some reason…For my second system I have the Budgie, purchased 6/2016 and a Vincent Pho-8…Will be selling one of them soon, just not sure which…Honestly both work great and don't hear much of a difference between the two.

10. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

Yep, saw that too, he's doing it for a special Canadian buyer. Upgrading this new model is a snap, you pop the lid, plug in a usb cable, and send the firmware to it. That'll help future proof it.

Kristofa likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

12. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Has anyone tried a Puffin, and been disappointed with the sound it produces, in comparison to a Budgie?

I think I'm going to have to try one of these, I love tweaking things. My main concern is if it will sound sterile or flat compared to his tube design, which I love.

13. Dr Jackson

It's safe to say it won't match a tubed pre thanks to all the variables they introduce which colors the sound, but if you're looking for consistency regardless of hours on the tubes, temperature, moon position, etc. then I'd say go for it. Lots of good reviews if you look around. If I picked one up I'd still hang on to my Budgie though, because I've come across a combo with my components that I like.

PoeRaider likes this.
  14. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I went ahead and ordered a Puffin. Should be here tomorrow. You're right about the reviews, I have yet to see a bad one. Yeah, I would never sell my Budgie either.

Looks like a cool gadget to have on hand, even if I only use it once in awhile as a phono stage. I'm tempted to hook it up after my dac when I'm playing my digital collection, for the occasional poor mastering or just to have some fun.

I was watching the Amazon stock numbers on the weekend, and he sold 7 or 8 of them there just on Saturday and Sunday. So I guess these units are moving pretty well for Shannon.

Dr Jackson likes this.
  15. I am interested in either if you decide to sell. Please PM me if you go that route

16. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Early days with my Puffin. I do like it and the flexibility it offers, but I don't feel it's a threat to the Budgie (w/ 7308 amperex) and SUT. It lacks the depth of soundstage and fine decay of instruments that the tube stage offers. A wee bit sterile sounding, only really revealed in direct A/B with the Budgie, as most would expect. The Budgie leaves you swimming in sound, whereas you float on the surface with the Puffin. But it's a very lovely surface.

The tonality is pretty spot on with the Puffin. Nothing peaky or annoying going on, using the 'MC' preset. And my MC's do sound pretty darn good, considering no SUT or headamp is needed.

**** out of 5. My review.

I should probably try the SUT with the Puffin in MM mode, maybe tonight.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    ersel, bluemooze, Dr Jackson and 2 others like this.
  17. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

For anyone that's still interested in the Puffin, here is a reply from a Puffin owner in one of my FB groups. Take it for what it's worth.

"I’ll be honest with ya,, I went into picking up the Puffin with some skepticism. I’m running a hotrodded Systemdek with an Ortofon 2m Black and I have been a tube phono stage advocate for years. I actually have a Budgie too along with several other phono stages. As much as I hate to admit it, this Puffin is beating them all right now and I have a hard time understanding how that’s possible. Shannon definitely knows what he’s doing that’s for sure! It’s way more natural sounding that I expected."

ersel, Crazyhorse11, H8SLKC and 3 others like this.
  18. Dr Jackson

Shannon also announced an updated testing firmware is available that allows you to use the Puffin in-line with other components, or a list of settings to configure via the menus which does the same thing. This thing is crazy. With those settings you can still run it along with your Budgie or another preamp.

19. hfarrior3

I'm not sure I understand, what would be the point? Just to have something to tweak?

20. Dr Jackson

Exactly, all the DSP magic gets added to the chain, plus if you have a tubed pre you don't lose that.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  21. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You are correct. It doesn’t “match a tubed pre” - I think the Puffin is better than the Budgie and several other more expensive tube phono preamps, which is saying a lot. Right now, I’m using a Puffin in place of the solid state Simaudio Moon 310LP and I’m trying to figure exactly where the 3.5X more expensive is notably better than the superb Simaudio product. I’ve found a few things that the 310LP does better, but it’s a disturbingly short list.

I think Shannon Parks has hit a home run with the Puffin.

22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Just having something to tweak is a great idea, especially when I dig out an early 1950s LP with non-RIAA EQ. The Puffin - with it’s excellent audio quality - let’s me choose the correct EQ. I can do the same thing with the US$1500 Graham Slee Revelation M (or C). But the Puffin has almost all of the Revelation’s wonderful audio quality and even more versatility for only US$399.

I didn’t believe any of the quality claims until the Puffin arrived on my doorstep a week and a half ago.

23. hfarrior3

Do you own a Budgie to compare it to?

24. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Nope. I’ve got a Lehmann Silvercube, Trichord Diablo, Simaudio Moon 310 LP, Graham Slee Revelation M, an EAR 834P, and a Lehmann Black Cube SE II. Plenty of comparisons to make.

I might try a used Budgie if one comes along, but I get plenty of tube fix with the EAR if I want it.

SandAndGlass and Blumagnet like this.
  25. hfarrior3

I asked about the Budgie because I was looking for a specific comparison due to the fact that they are made by the same guy and the Puffin has replaced it.