Past Four Seasons Sessions And Masters..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I only skimmed this but it looks like it's right up you SH Forums members alley.
    Click here for the same article with pictures:
    http://thatfourseasonssound.typepad...3/past-four-seasons-sessions-and-masters.html

----------------
    03/08/2011
    Past Four Seasons Sessions and Masters
    The Four Seasons catalogue is a mess. Yes it has to be said. Despite years of re-issues on CD there is still no comprehensive record of what they recorded and no satisfactory collection of the mono and stereo tracks for us to play…and still dozens of unreleased supposedly unsatisfactory tracks in the vaults.

This week we have news of more unreleased tracks with BACK IN ACTION...CAN’T BE TOO MUCH MUSIC...STAGGER LEE being left in the Warner Archive as left over tracks from the ‘Frankie Valli Is The Word’ album sessions…and at least 7 tracks from the Helicon album sessions intended for a follow on album. But even more shocking was news of lost masters.

In the ‘Both Sides Now’ sound forum TallPaul said of the catalogue.. “Bill Inglot has stated the Partnership does not have a mono single master of ‘Sherry’, and this could be true with other early Four Seasons hits. The mono single of Sherry contains echo on certain parts not on the dryer sounding stereo version. The mono single is also slightly longer. Bill told me all the Partnership has is basically singles and album masters so anything issued today is what was originally out in the 60s. He couldn’t remix much of anything..no multi’s of the early stuff. But obviously also not a complete set of singles masters.”

There is also lots of evidence that several stereo masters now exist only on old 1960s vinyl.

But apart from bad housekeeping by Philips and the Four Seasons Partnership, are there other contributing factors that make it difficult to find the original mono and stereo versions in decent sound in an anthology.? The latest set in Jersey Beat’s 3 CD box was very unsatisfactory and even the Rhino Anthology CD Box set back in 1987 was criticized by the sound engineer George Schowerer. But that was with regard to his late 60s recordings which had not been re-mastered satisfactorily. And, it seems, our expectations of getting the original masters in good stereo is a pipe dream……as he told us.

“The older hits were never made with anything but mono in mind.

First of all, the smaller studios did not have multiple multitrack machines. Stea Phillips began with two stereo machines in their hotel studios. Mirasound initially had only two stereo machines for recording. They later added a 300 mono, and a three track ½” Ampex 300 with sel-sync. Even when we got an eight track Ampex AG-300-8, does anyone today have any idea how many tracks Bob Crewe needed on his sessions ??

Even with eight tracks, Bob used more channels than the orchestra. When the genius engineers who would do the mastering tried to make stereo out of the final eight tracks, they were limited in what it could sound like.

So, that’s where we get the orchestra on one track and the vocals on the other....because the orchestra was never given enough tracks to be able to spread in the mix. In fact, in those days, no one ever thought about stereo.

Mirasound had a twelve input console with four buses. When we got the eight track recorder, I would use eight inputs to monitor the mix and use the last four to input all the overdubs...and I do mean ALL the overdubs!

(George Schowerer at the Mirasound console)

The idea was to leave one or two tracks open for vocal takes. On top of those problems, the sync response on the AG-300-8 recorder was terrible. It was so poor, that I would bounce each group of tracks using the normal playback preamps in order to retain the original quality. (this method placed the new mix track out of sync with the other channels...so eventually, I had to bounce each additional track using the same method, until I had those six tracks in sync. The last one or two tracks used for vocal were monitored using the sel-sync, since Frankie’s track never needed to be bounced. That’s why the quality on Beggin, My Mother’s Eyes, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,. Marianne, and all that group of songs sound as good as they do, so long as Rhino didn’t ‘bum them up’. However Crewe always went to Bell Sound for mastering to disc, and Bob would often add Bell’s live chamber to what I had used via the stereo EMT at Mira. This often caused the different amounts or type of echo to be so obvious. He would drive me crazy because I didn’t like Bell’s chamber...it’s bad enough that I can tell a record made at Bell because of the room leakage and the sound of their echo...I didn’t want that for mixes I made at Mira. I do believe we had a better sound at Mira. I used a modified RCA limiter which had the Columbia records mods, and at times used low frequency cut-offs to shape what leakage was inevitable at Mira. The problem in those days was simply that you had to have a good picture in your mind as to what the final mix would sound like. In the mono to mono overdubbing during the early days of mixing, it was imperative that you had a clear understanding of what the final product would sound like...you couldn’t always go back to correct the mix. So when Bob came up with all the overdubs (sometimes using three horns, - three or four times - you had to understand what was being asked for and make sure it sounded like a single group at one sitting.

The musicians often came back in an hour later, in order to avoid the union rep who might show up during the session (since overdubbing wasn’t in the union’s vocabulary).

So now , when people are looking for the original multi-tracks in order to make stereo, they don't understand that the very thing they are looking for may not exist in the form they think-of as multi-track.... and if it did, it wouldn't be in matched pairs of tracks. Crewe even challenged sixteen tracks with all the ‘chachkas’ he would add. In many cases, I mixed live stereo two tracks during the session...most however, were quick mix-downs upon playback to the orchestra.

You can be certain that Crewe never thought of releasing in stereo on the early stuff at all. It wasn't until he rushed in one day to do ‘Girl Watchers’ as a cover record that he asked me for stereo because it was a live large orchestra session with very few overdubs. "What Now My Love" with Mitch Ryder was done for stereo during that time period. Don't forget that only the large studios like RCA and Columbia had deep pockets for multi-track machines...and even then, Columbia’s first eight track recorder was built with four model 354 electronics and a 300 deck...see my photos of that machine on my photo disc. Smaller studios couldn't afford the cost.

We got the first sixteen track recorder at Mirasound only because we were going to use a 2" video deck with AG-350 electronics which we already owned. We then asked Ampex to make us 16 track heads for it. They came back, saying that since it was going to have the ‘name’ Ampex on it...they wanted to build it and lease it to us. They gave us a good deal and we could then afford to purchase it without all of our own work in building it. The rest is history. The day we received the unit at 10 am., I did the very first 16 track session of "With This Ring" by the Platters at 7pm with Luther Dixon producing. Amongst the other first 16 track recordings was ‘I’ve Got You Under My Skin’ with the Four Seasons"

( The new 16 track Ampex AG 1000 arrives June 1966)

What we have now on vinyl and CD is as good as it gets it seems, but as a starting point we believe that we need to collate all we know re the groups recordings and so our NEW WEB PAGE will do this and hopefully lead to a comprehensive library of masters in mono and stereo.

We’ve gathered the work of several people to create what we hope is the definitive list from 1953 when Frankie Valley first recorded to 1974 when he and the Four Seasons left Motown to forge supposedly separate careers.

As we edit the 5 Parts we’ll check to ensure all known masters are listed. But with around 50 unreleased tracks in the Motown vaults and a dozen or so in the Philips archive it will be a case of we will publish as much as we have when we get it.

But for now we can present Part 1 which features all of the early years work from 1953 to 1961 as Frankie formed the Variatones and The Four Lovers.

Check out our web page here of The Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Sessionography 1953 to 1974 and review and download the Introduction and Part 1. We will add more Parts as we complete them and update these pdf files as more information arises.

Maybe someone will gather the singles and stereo masters into a database and we will someday be able to acquire the ‘Official’ recovered Masters in mono and stereo on CD……or will someone re-mix them with today’s technology to give us something like an acceptable NEW stereo remix.?

kevinsinnott likes this.
  2. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

If only they had worked somewhere other than MIRASOUND.....

3. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Interesting, thanks.
    Still leaves everything up in the air though.

4. Steve Hoffman

I would surely question that 1966 16 track delivery date. Also, MiraSound had a four track machine as early as 1964.. Place is a friggin' parking lot now which is a bummer..

5. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This is amazing stuff. It is one of the main reasons I'm here to begin with. I could read things like this all day long and pull out the records and CDs as I went along.

Thanks so much for the info Steve!

6. GroovinGarrett

Considering Ampex didn't build the MM-1000 until 1968. I read somewhere that Ampex built a prototype 16 for MiraSound prior to introducing the consumer MM-1000 and installing one at CBS New York, but even this was much later than June '66.

7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The 45s as released over here sound superb and are well worth seeking out.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

50 unreleased tracks in the Motown vaults?

50?

How could there be so many?

And if there are anywhere near that many, why hasn't Motown/Hip-O ever done anything with them? They seem to have mined the vaults for everyone else.

9. Steve Hoffman

Don't get why they are saying that RHINO ruined the Four Seasons songs. Makes no sense.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Would love to see a mono singles comp., but I'm probably dreaming.

Darryl

kevinsinnott likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I love the 45 singles, but finding Philips originals not on styrene is a feat of magic. And the ones I find are often knackered condition. I have heard the mono single master of "Sherry" has gone missing or never left Vee-Jay after the court settlement. According to that UK site Steve mentions.

12. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Only thing I can think of is the possibility of extra EQ on the high end when mastered to CD. I wouldn't call it "ruined" though.

13. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

might have to build it yourself from vinyl. I've managed to acquire about 24 mono songs from 45s and some mono best of albums and really my needledrop comp sounds pretty fine overall.

a great read Steve, thanks for posting that...

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

June 1968 makes more sense.

15. GroovinGarrett

Correct.

The ACE (UK) CD edition of Edizione d'Oro with the mono versions used a fold-down of the stereo mix. It's still a nice CD to have for some of the mono mixes and alternate stereo mixes.

SBC likes this.
  16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Nice post Steve, thanks!

I also have that ACE CD "Edizione d'Oro", with many mono single mixes and it is a must-have (that is, if you can get lucky enough to now find one).

Chris C

17. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Here's what's written in the 1988 Rhino 25th Anniversary 3 cd Collection booklet:

"All of the tracks on this compact disc were taken from absolute first generation master tapes. The tape hiss is at a minimum in most cases, and has
    not been filtered out at the expense of ambience or transient response. Analog-to-digital transfer was made at K-Disc Mastering in Los Angeles using Sony 1630 formatting. All tracks are in their original state, true mono or stereo with equalization added only to enhance the reproduction of the performances. Extensive tape library research and exhaustive care have gone into the preparation of this disc. Crank it!

Produced by Bill Inglot

This collection and the Editizione D'Oro are my two favourite comps at the moment.

18. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

The Frankie Valli boxed set that came out two or three years ago has all the singles in mono up to "Girl Come Running." I think Edizione d'Oro has a couple others in mono that aren't on that one.

Interesting info about "Sherry." I'd always known that song didn't sound like the 45 on the above mentioned mono comps, but now I know why. But surely there is a mono "Sherry" single master in the UK or SOMEWHERE. It may not be the first generation master, but a tape has got to exist somewhere.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Considering the description George gave for how MiraSound got its 16 track AG 1000, where Ampex offered to build them a whole deck instead of providing heads only to them, 1966 is very likely possible, especially considering it was custom made for them before a 16 track was available for sale, and this model pre-dated the MM 1000.

George stated the first song recorded on the AG 1000 was The Platters' "With This Ring". Wikipedia notes that the song to was released in February 1967. It first appeared on WABC's chart for the week ending April 4, 1967. I find it a little odd that a song recorded back then wouldn't have been released until 7-8 months later, but I don't know enough of the group's history to confirm or deny June '66 as the recording date. What's interesting (to me) is that its stereo mix is not very sophisticated for a 16 track recording, but I guess its possible the console/mixer/etc. there couldn't really pan the tracks in a way to really take advantage of so many individual tracks, at least without hooking up a bunch of outboard panners. The mono mix sounds better to my ear. George stated their console was 12 input, and he didn't say that changed when the AG 1000 first arrived. A new stereo mix, if done well, might sound good (if the multitracks for the song still exist). I wonder if, when MiraSound moved in 1967, their new location was built from the outset to make better use of so many tracks (for the time) on the multis when making stereo mixes?

A few related items :

http://www.davidmileshuber.com/hrs.html
    http://recordist.com/ampex/docs/histapx/ampchrn.txt
    http://www.billvermillion.com/wlof/adv1967/playlist-036.pdf
    http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/archive/index.php/t-15513.html

20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

That was Rhino's standard write-up which appeared more or less verbatim on a lot of their early CDs. At least certain parts of it seem very familiar to me, and I never had the Four Seasons comp.

21. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

+1 :righton:

22. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Curb Records put out a bunch of Four Seasons CDs in the early 1990s. I have one best-of and it sounds way better than the Rhino CD. I have no reason to think their other ones don't sound as good.
    When Curb released the original songs they also seemed to have used the original tapes. Curb was tops. :righton:

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks for that, Martin. Interesting if it was in fact that early.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sean, the main issue that I had with those CURB CD's, is that they screwed up the running order of certain albums (the "Who Loves You" album, for sure) and they interchanged some songs on some of the other titles as well. CURB as usual had good sound on those CD's, but it's in the way that they packaged all of those Four Seasons albums, that screwed things up. I guess, for the casual fan, who doesn't mind the changes, those CURB discs are fine, but for diehard fans like me, they just made no sense. Bill Inglot mastered almost all of the RHINO and the ACE CD's, but I'm not sure if he remastered them a second time, when ACE released their now, out of print discs? For all I know, the CURB discs may also use a Bill Inglot remastering, but I'm not sure?

Chris C

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I hate CDs of albums that do not have the songs in the correct order.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.