Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Sep 16, 2019.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I picked up a used copy and didn't play it for a while. A musician/teacher suggested it was worth a listen. While I have only listened to it once, the album actually made a bit of sense to me.

Not everyone is going to enjoy Schoenberg, but it can be ear opening (hopefully not ear closing).

2. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

And the punchline is that there’s no feedback on the record, despite everyone saying that.

hkm3 likes this.
  3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I bought the Steve Tibbetts 3 CD ECM compilation from that store. The only place in the world that sells it. Great set for 16 bucks.

4. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

actually, I'm reminded of "There's Something Dead in Here" that Steve Vai did from the Flex-Able album('84). An exercise in dissonance and a hard listen to as I remember.When I first heard ZTFS (when released)that was my first song that came to mind as being in this category with Pat's album here.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember Down Beat or a similar magazine quipped that ZTFS was like "Lynyrd Skynyrd trapped in a hall of mirrors" which didn't seem inaccurate based on the excerpt of it that I heard back then. I should try to hear it again.

6. Natvecal.

Anyone buy/have those 2002 Japan GOLD CD reissues?

Curious as to mastering/SQ compared to WG CDs of PM & PMG releases. I'm aware of the Hybrid SACDs out and apparently the redbook layer is same mastering as WG cd if I'm correct on what info I've read from comments?

7. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

As far as CDs are concerned the forum consensus is that there's only 1 master of each ECM CD. I'm not 100% convinced this is true as many years ago I owned a Japanese Travels made by JVC which sounded quite different, & not as good, as the standard ECM CD. Unfortunately I no longer have this CD so I'm relying on my aural memory for this information. There's also no reference to this in Discogs which makes me even more unsure about my memory!

As well as gold CDs there have been SHM-CDs & UHQCDs of some ECM Pat Metheny discs. For the ones I tried the differences between these & the standard ECM discs were very small & it wasn't clear to me which I preferred.

8. StarThrower62

Most of the ECMs sound fine to me but the s/t PMG is a bit murky with some obnoxious cymbal sounds on San Lorenzo.

9. Natvecal.

Thanks for the replies.Appreciated. I have most of the catalogue on EMC original US & a few WG CDs personally. I like them. That said, to have a "better" if just slightly better sonic version is a very seductive thought here for me. There is not much if any info on the forum here(I searched here & googled PM Gold 2002 cd Hoffman even) & I used variant keywords too to "pop-up" some sort of a thread relevant to my queries. No luck. IF(when that is...) I get an SACD player the Hybrid SACDs "sound" like the call to have on the SACD layer as I've gathered so far on the forum. The redbook layer is the same as the WG CD if I understand this correctly? Hence my thoughts towards these GOLD CDs sound-wise(mastering):)

10. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Been Listening to the PM Unity Band, Unity Group, and Unity Sessions Albums on CD. Can't wait for the New Album, From This Place.

11. StarThrower62

The Unity Band DVD is great too! Bought it at the show last year.

12. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Ordered the Blu Ray a few days ago. Amazon claims it will arrive by Saturday. Saw the Unity Band and the Unity Group. Two great Concerts.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  13. I bought that 3 CD set at Concerto at Gibert Joseph in Paris.

14. StarThrower62

Cool! But in the States Steve sells it through his local record store exclusively.

15. It is a fantastic store. We checked it out last summer when it was necessary to take oldest son to Mayo Clinic. (is all good for him now)

16. StarThrower62

I love the name too. The Electric Fetus.

17. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Another track from the upcoming album, I think very much the sound of Still Life (Talking) and a solo of pianist Gwilym Simcock very much (strangely enough?) in the style and feel of Lyle Mays, I think. So far in these new tracks I miss the surefire, almost hummable melodies, it may take a few listens to 'get' the album....

18. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Getting to see Pat Metheny in New Zealand in March. I would have killed to see him at the height of my fandom 10-15 years ago, but i'm still pretty excited.

19. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Gotta say I am really enjoying the songs from this new album. Really looking forward to it.

Jimbino likes this.
  20. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Agreed. Ordered my copy yesterday (finally!).

21. StarThrower62

It's a great time to see Pat if you're a long time fan. He is playing loads of great material from his entire career. I was almost in tears by the time he finished up with his acoustic guitar medley for the encore.

xybert likes this.
  22. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Yeah i'm getting more and more excited. Just to be clear, living outside of the usual big 'tour-zones' (the US, Europe and i guess Japan and maybe Australia), this is an extremely rare opportunity to see Pat (and band!) perform live. Practically once in a lifetime.

23. StarThrower62

What group is he performing with in New Zealand? I saw him last year on the Wide Eye Tour which is a trio with a different group for each leg of the tour. They didn't play any new music. It was all from previous albums but very diverse.

xybert likes this.
  24. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

The thing about Pat is, he goes all over the place.
    Sometimes I follow, sometimes I don't.

Jimbino likes this.
  25. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Just ordered the new album From This Place. The new songs sound really good.

Jimbino likes this.