Patricia Barber Cafe Blue remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrokenByAudio, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the remix of Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue on Premonition. I was not familiar with her work and decided to check out CB after checking some sound samples. I'd read a number of opinions indicating that the recording was outstanding sonically and found several high priced offerings on EBay so I was surprised to see new vinyl offered at Acoustic Sounds for $49.

It arrived yesterday and there on the outer wrapper is a sticker saying it is a remastered and remixed version. Didn't know what to think about that but cracked it open hoping for the best. Hmm...two 12" platters, each one abbreviated on both sides...put it on the TT. Holy smokes! I think I have a new "best" recording (in terms of how great the sound is). The music itself is incredible--almost defies categorization, moving from one artistic expression to another abetted by killer musicianship. But I can't help but get the sense that the remix must have been rather extreme.

So I'm asking if anyone has heard both. If the remix is as extreme as I suspect it may have been, and the original had such a stellar reputation to begin with, I'm going to have to track down one of the original versions, even if it's only a/the redbook CD version.

And it goes without saying that I have to get deeper into the Patricia Barber catalogue! :D

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Patricia Barber and Cafe' Blue is one fine sounding album. I have the SACD which sounds incredible. I also had the Gold HDCD which also sounds very good. If you are looking for further PB titles check out importcds as they have other Gold HDCDs for $21.83. If you have a Bluray player I would highly recommend the Modern Cool BR as it sounds outstanding. The BR has a 24/192k stereo track and a 24/96k 5.1 track.

Bill

3. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, but look at the prices of those MoFi SACDs! Yikes. Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had HDCD and Blu-Ray capability--eventually. I take it you can take advantage of the HDCD encoding? Or are you just reading the redbook layer?

4. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have the LP and the MoFI SACD.
    The vinyl sounds great.
    The SACD sounds incredible!!
    Glen

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes the SACD prices are quite steep. I only had Gold HDCD of Cafe' Blue and gave it to a friend when I bought the SACD. I was fortunate to get all the PB SACDs at very fair prices. Due to the kindness of a fellow SH member I was able to get the Cafe' Blue SACD at a very fair price :).

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.