Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New 'Star Trek Picard' Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 4, 2018.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Good article about how Picard finally gave Deanna Troi a great episode. While she did have a few decent outings on the original series ("Face Of The Enemy" being especially delicious), Picard's "Nepenthe" is probably the best material Sirtis was ever given for Star Trek, and she really runs with it.

Star Trek: Picard finally gave Deanna Troi the love she's always deserved

ggergm, wayne66, DeeThomaz and 2 others like this.
  2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

To me, it could have been an opportunity for a new actor to take on the role of Picard in his new body. However, one thing that works against that is the TNG episode "Rascals" where Picard is deaged to be a teen. At that point, he could have just remained young, would age normally, and it would have extended his life by 50 to 60 years. But he passed on it.

The Pinhead and Ginger Ale like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got the dvd.
    Liking it ( just ).
    Love Patrick Stewart‘s perfect English dictation.

I remember him in Extras, so good!!!!

4. I think it’s a good series and there is a tie in to the second season of Discovery as well at some point.

Dr. Pepper, alexpop and melstapler like this.
  5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Third season, you mean?

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yes, would watch Picard before season 3 of Discovery.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

This one's going to be crazy, folks. Picard season 2 trailer from today's Star Trek Day presentation on Paramount Plus:

Yes, that's Q. Yes, that's the Borg Queen. Yes, that's the 21st century.

sunspot42, SJP, JohnBeas and 2 others like this.
  8. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Haha, let's mash up a bunch of great ST stories and characters and see what happens. Could be amazing or a big train wreck. I'm in for it though to see it all happen.

Shawn, Dubmart, GentleSenator and 3 others like this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yes, I'm on board!

sunspot42 and MikeInFla like this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i guess i need to try and finish the first season then!

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Picard: The Voyage Homendgame?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

is this on blu ray /dvd ?

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Only the episode Nepenthe is worth watching. Why? Because Troi and Ricker are there and provide the series with the most grounded and natural acting and well developed scenes. It's such a jarring style of acting that it truly makes the other other actors all look like high-school students putting on a play in contrast. They're subpar and/or their characters are laughably strange or comically out of place. There's a dude who looks and acts like a samurai, for instance. Even carries a sword for crying out loud! Unfortunately, the lines given to most characters are idiotic. The only interesting character was the girl in the beginning but she gets almost immediately killed.

There's pretty much next to nothing I enjoyed from this series except for the Nepenthe episode. This Picard has very little in common to the TNG's character. While I understand how everyone changes over time, Picard's actions and motivations are difficult to understand. The CGI sets are ridiculous as are the sound effects, nevermind the extreme color manipulation and its love of lens flare effects in as many scenes as possible (even indoor ones!!) gives it an amateurish look.

The Nepenthe episode is on an earth-like planet with on-location sets which are natural looking (because they are!), they pace of the scenes is more natural, the dialogue is infinitely richer, and it's obvious much more care went into that one. Afterward, it's back to comic book/screwed up world where the Federation is a corrupt organization that renounces one of its most decorated officer, people curse, smoke, and drink, ships don't need personnel to work even though they're huge and impersonal-looking, are flown by waving a hand in the air, etc.

Honestly, just watch that aforementioned episode. The story arc doesn't even matter - the scenes are that well done... even if Patrick Stewart messes up the name of Troi's child in one scene and refers to it in the wrong gender in the same scene. Strange that no one caught that on shooting day.

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Are you sure they were not speaking about
    their first child

16. Strat-Mangler

Only in the 2nd instance.

Rewatch the scene with Troi and Picard in Thad's bedroom. Pay attention to the pronunciation of Kestra's name (or however it's spelled). Stewart says "The language that KestrO was speaking..."

Then, he speaks of Thad who was a prodigy with languages and says "You know,... the first time that I met Thad, HE was speaking some sort of invented language. SHE couldn't have been more than five!"

Minor goofs, both of them... but still something I caught on the 1st viewing. That's why I stated I was surprised.

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you're describing how i felt about the first 4-5 episodes i actually watched. it felt so... cheap. i didn't continue. i felt it was a disservice to stewart and the picard character.

Strat-Mangler and sharedon like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Agreed completely. But compare what you've watched so far to this scene.

COMPLETELY different show, there! In every conceivable way. Why wasn't the *rest* of the show written, shot, and played like THIS!!?

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

did frakes direct that one by chance?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

Matthew Tate and GentleSenator like this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

No but he did a hell of an acting job here.

The other scenes in chronological order.

22. Strat-Mangler

23. BeatleJWOL

Even as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the rest of Picard and is hyped for season 2, it's damn near impossible to not see this episode as an absolute highlight of the series.

boyjohn and SJP like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

25. Strat-Mangler

This scene follows the one I initial posted.