Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New 'Star Trek Picard' Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 4, 2018.

1. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

My wife and I have been watching and greatly enjoying S3 of Picard, and we're both wondering what's next.

There was a lot of soul searching in episode 4 but, fortunately, it was reined in enough not to turn the show into Discovery. (Skilful avoidance of a split infinitive there! One up on Captain Kirk. :) )

After watching episode one, we were planning to watch the series in two-episode mini-binges, but we had to watch S4 by itself because it called to us.

Lovely stuff.

2. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Just started watching Picard (up to episode 8, Season 1 at the moment) and am enjoying it so far and am trying not to read any comments of later seasons and episodes. It only became available to me a few weeks ago so hopefully I'll get through the seasons in the next few weeks. Could probably have done without the swearing that seems a bit excessive and unnecessary.

Steven

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

If you're worried about swearing, watch old episodes of 24. There's excessive violence, torture, shootings, blood etc. but no swearing.

TV is a strange world.

wayneklein, sunspot42 and sbeck201 like this.
  4. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Only 3 episodes in and I'm really enjoying this season thus far. Truly despised S1 and I actually skipped on S2. After Robert Meyer Burnett and Dave Cullen's recommendations - both of whom have been very critical of Trek post-2009, they've already watched the entire season and both gave it high praise, and that's all thanks to Terry Matalas. Hoping that this will be the definitive TNG sendoff that Nemesis failed to do... :)

GentleSenator and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I found S3 very uneven. Some parts are good, some are not.
    Easily the best this show will ever get it feels like.

That said, I don't get the praise from the old fans.

Drew likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Bingo. It's a step up from previous seasons and it's great seeing the band getting back together. But there are very few original ideas and sometimes the dialog reminds me of a couple of children arguing.

8. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I have a sneaking suspicion (maybe it is nostalgia-driven) that some DS9 and Voyager elements might show up before this season is over.

The rehash of Dominion ideas leaves the door open.

If your comment about old ideas is a reference to old cat and mouse submarine movies ... I am totally fine with season 3 rehashing those old ideas too.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Y'all need to take that up with the same "old fans" that refused to accept anything new from Disco or Picard S1/S2, and the only thing they latched onto from Discovery were...get this...characters they (we) already knew. :) Imagine that. :)

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Uneven? It's not even close to being finished yet.

sunspot42 and GentleSenator like this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

This season keeps getting better and better!

sunspot42, RockNRod and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. RockNRod and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. Well because those of us who enjoy it have not felt it was uneven but increasingly more involving with each episode.

RockNRod likes this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Best. Guest. Star. Ever.

15. I was surprised.

Curveboy and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

My wife and I are loving this season. Was anxiously awaiting who was coming over in the shuttle from the Intrepid, and wasn't disappointed. Good stuff.

Curveboy, Playloud and sunspot42 like this.
  17. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Good episode this week.

Ro deserved more screen time. I really did not appreciate the pacing of this episode. Another 20 minutes was needed. I know she was a minor character in the grand scheme of things but c'mon. She deserves more than a wham bam thank you ma'am. The story felt rushed.

Is Jack possessed by a Pah Wraith? Let's go to Bejor and DS9, connect up with Kira and Prophet Sisko and find out!

They keep mentioning Janeway. I expect a cameo. Snore.

The Founders kept recreating Weyoun every time he died.

It would be hilarious if Jeffrey Combs shows up as Weyoun to parlay with the Federation after all these years.

Please!
    [​IMG]

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. Great episode. Season 3 is by a wide margin, my favorite so far.

MikeInFla and TheAbsentMind like this.
  19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

She was the best actor on Voyager, even stuffed into a catsuit where she could hardly breathe.

Can we just talk about the performance Jonathan Frakes has been putting in as Riker? Because he's more than held his own even up against Pat Stew and Jeri Ryan. If anything, Riker got more drama and more development than anyone else so far in S3 of Picard.

Also, Gates McFadden has been doing some great work, and I'm pleased to see the writers remembered that she was always TNG's hardcore science detective and capable of figuring crazy sheet out.

This week's episode with

Ro Laren was really spectacular, and Michelle Forbes also - as usual - delivered an intense performance. This is the best acting we've ever seen on Trek. It was also great to see the sanctimonious Picard of TNG make a return. While I agree I'd have liked to have seen two episodes with Ro, I know Forbes isn't into repeating herself so it probably took some arm twisting to get her to do a single episode...and it was worth it. Also, the pacing in the first two seasons was horrifically cumbersome - I'm glad to see they're keeping S3 moving along at a respectable clip. You could see her weighing her options and deciding to give the Titan and Picard time to get away and try to find some means of saving Starfleet from the infiltration.

20. see above.

21. My theory is that she agreed to return if her character died. I would have liked them to expand the episode to an hour and a half.

22. The pacing on this episode was perfect! For me the weakness of the first two seasons often boiled down to slow pacing and padded stories -not this year.

wayneklein likes this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

before the season aired i read a review entitled “you are not ready for season 3 of picard”. they were so right.

this is how you do fan service right.

24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched the sixth episode, which was excellent just like the whole of the current third season.

Curveboy likes this.
  25. Yeah, Season 3 has been excellent! I wish there were 10 episodes left as I can’t see how they’ll wrap this up in four more.