Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

I think even Paul might have forgotten about it.

2. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

This might not be all that useful an exercise, but just to sum up, here's a quick list of (non-classical) albums, with those that have received deluxe boxes in bold and italics, and those that have received vanilla LP or CD reissues underlined. Am I missing anything? Was it really just "Off the Ground," "Run Devil Run" and "Driving Rain" that got the quiet CD reissues on Concord? I'm not noting it on this list, but "Electric Arguments" did get an LP reissue outside of the "program" in 2016.

McCartney
    RAM
    Wild Life
    Red Rose Speedway
    Band on the Run
    Venus and Mars
    At the Speed of Sound
    Wings Over America

Thrillington (also included in RAM box)
    London Town
    Back to the Egg
    McCartney II
    Tug of War
    Pipes of Peace

Give My Regards to Broad Street
    Press to Play
    CHOBA B CCCP
    Flowers in the Dirt
    Tripping the Live Fantastic
    Unplugged
    Off the Ground
    Paul is Live
    Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest
    Flaming Pie
    Rushes
    Run Devil Run
    Liverpool Sound Collage
    Driving Rain
    Back in the U.S./World
    Twin Freaks
    Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
    Memory Almost Full
    Electric Arguments
    Good Evening New York
    Kisses on the Bottom
    New
    Egypt Station

3. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

The McCartney Interview (which we won't get) and Tripping Highlights (which had all my trials) but I figure that'll be lumped lumped with tripping.

4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

As much as I want the last two Wings albums, I think I'm ready for a Press to Play box. Disc 1, the 13 track album. Disc 2, Spies Like Us, Hanglide, Simple As That, and all the remixes (which will fit perfectly on a disc at under 73, or just over 74 if they use the unedited Spies Like Us remix that got released in 2012.) Disc 3, rough mixes (they are wonderful!) and outtakes (like Yvonne, and maybe the full Angry jam that we got a minute of from the Oobu Joobu radio show). Plenty of content for the DVD (music videos, contemporary interviews, performances of Only Love Remains).

I'm not holding my breath.

planckera, jacden and omikron like this.
  5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'd take that in a second, but I have a good sounding version of PtP and not so much Back to the Egg so I selfishly want that first.

But the idea of everyone spending big money on a PtP box and then gushing on here for a few weeks how it's the masterpiece I already think it is is appealing, too.

sean4554, mrjinks, planckera and 4 others like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Deluxe editions of London Town and Back To The Egg will most definitely come.
    But afterwards? Who knows... I hope for Archive editions of Flaming Pie and Chaos And Creation In The Backyard.

Sean, Who Cares, Galaga King and 2 others like this.
  7. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I understand everybody has a different want list, but I really think the Wings stuff all needs to be finished up first before diving in to the 80's and beyond.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Only with better mastering.

Sean, supermd, vitorbastos123 and 4 others like this.
  9. You haven’t missed much. There are s9me fine songs along with crap songs.

10. Both on my list as well. I’d love for both to be next after the last two Wings albums.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. I can wait. Unless we get some of Stewart’s work on the album.

12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

The 80s have already been dived-into (dove-into?) except two. Same as the 70s.

13. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I am aware of that but McCartney II, Tug Of War, Pipes Of Peace and Flowers In The Dirt should have waited until the 70's stuff was completed. Just my humble opinion.

14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I am 100% ready for this next. This album has been way up there on my best Paul album list since first listen over 20 years ago.

905 and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The other issue, though, is that BOTR was issued as a 3 disc set, with the bonus CD and DVD. Aside from the book, the deluxe set only added the CD from the 25th anniversary set.

Regardless, I still had to have the book set.

None of the subsequent Archive releases offered a 3 disc version, so it’s not just a case of do you really need a 60 page book. If you don’t buy the deluxe sets, you’re missing out on extra audio and video.

Personally, I want everything so have to go for the super deluxes, but I understand why some wouldn’t.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I don’t wish to be morbid, but do we think McCartney has put a long term reissue plan in place for after he’s gone?

8 years into the Archive campaign, there’s still several albums to be covered.

As he turns 77 in 6 months time, I have to wonder what will happen when he’s no longer around. Especially as we know these releases are worked on a case by case basis, as evidenced by the 2018 copyrights on the WL and RRS sets.

17. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I would have put Tripping The Live Fantastic as an 80s release, just because part of it was recorded on the 1989 legs of the tour — and then there's the Russian album. But, yes, I agree that the two decades basically mirror each other.

My guess is that they will continue. It's working for the Bowie estate at the moment, and given Mary's contribution to the Pipes Of Peace set, it wouldn't be out of line for the kids to work on the albums they remember the production of too.

18. Wiserforthetime

What is the unedited spies like us 2012 and what is it on? I feel like I missed something.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

20. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

Pretty sure they just slap the release year on the copyright dates.

From the books, we know the remastering and interview for Wild Life and RRS was done in 2017.

21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Chaos is maybe the best Paul album ever. Bring it on.

MisterPleasant and FKA002 like this.
  22. Wiserforthetime

23. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Chaos:
    [​IMG]

24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The DVD footage always has a copyright date of the current year eg 2018 for the WL and RRS DVDs. I once thought maybe all the albums were remastered and ready to go, with MPL deciding on a schedule, but it’s obvious now that’s not the case.

25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

For years, bootleggers have stuck the Rupert album with London Town, despite it being recorded with the Back To The Egg line-up. I hope MPL puts it where it really belongs.... (assuming they release it, that is)

Boognish likes this.