Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...so Egypt Station is the "surprise" deluxe set, for sure??? To be honest, I was hoping for Revolver.

2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Lol!!! I wouldn’t expect revolver for quite awhile if at all

Paul H and FKA002 like this.
  3. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

It's grown on me and I've told Paul.

angelees likes this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Yes...

[​IMG]
    EGYPT STATION - SUPER DELUXE BOX SET
    PAUL MCCARTNEY
    EMAIL ME

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yep...I got one and stuck it in a frame.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Prints of the original painting or of the ES album cover? :eek:

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Actually, an album sized print of the ES cover.

beatleroadie likes this.
  8. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

It was just the cover, not the original painting.

beatleroadie likes this.
  9. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I got two. I have one inserted in the deluxe album I bought it with. The other I have ready to be framed.

Darrin L. likes this.
  10. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Lyrics are usually second (or more like fifth) nature to me, the voice an instrument just as a guitar and the lyrics and vocals are just like the sounds that instrument makes. So bad lyrics don't tend to phase me, but bad overall music will. Sometimes bad lyrics sound phonetically better with a song than good lyrics. Good lyrics don't mean anything to me either, honestly. I'm weird, okay? For me, it's all about how the song SOUNDS overall and not about the irrelevant meaning externally tacked on to it by the artist.

That said, Listening to New.... I'm sorry, but for me, Egypt Station doesn't stand a chance compared to New. I love how comparatively dynamic New is, each song so fleshed out and complete. "Road" concludes the album and to me is a bit epic within the context of the album. The tracks on New seem bursting with energy, even slower tracks like "Hosanna" (one of my all-time absolute favorite songs by Paul) are very deep sounding. Hardly anything is going on on the Egypt Station tracks and actually sounds mono to me a lot- like hardly any production was done at all on some tracks. More like some of these tracks were recorded and left as is, barely stereo mixed. There's not much sonic depth there with E.S. to my ears.

With Egypt Station... much of it seems average, or not fleshed out. The songs are incomplete to me. I've gotten used to the abrupt endings but it just isn't right. The album is still remarkably diverse, which I admittedly sometimes take for granted with Paul.

I Don't Know is good, I like it. Not top tier in my rankings of Paul songs.... Pretty melody. One of my favorites on the album for sure.

Come On To Me- I like it, enjoy it and have no problem with it but there's nothing special about it, really.

Happy With You- nice, but it's just an okay talk-singing tune. I prefer Put It There.... I like the bridge. I guess he the fact can't really carry a melody any more is the reason for the talk-sing.

Who Cares- eh, nothing special, a nice blues rocker. I like the "But you're worth much more" section.

Fuh You- okay? it's a generic pop song. I find it one of the more enjoyable tunes on the album. Hey, at least it IS produced! The bridge with the strings is very nice. That said.... it's still a piece of trash. An enjoyable piece of trash, yes , but still a piece of trash. :agree:

Confidante- nice, grew on me just a tad bit. I like it. But nothing that struck me as overly special. Now, I love a good acoustic track, don't get me wrong. But lyrics usually mean nothing to me, so a good melody or sound. I love the likes of Blackbird, Jenny Wren and Working Class Hero. The melody to this isn't really anything special to me. Sounds like a Ringo song- not a complaint or anything, just an observation.

People Want Peace- I like the "nothing in life is as sad as a lonely soul" section. The rest, eh. Nice. Not overly interesting, much like a lot of this album.

Hand In Hand
    - doesn't do much for me at all. Don't dislike it, but it's more so just eh to me.

Dominoes- nice, very empty to me like a lot of the album. But I like it, one of my favorites. Don't like it nearly as much as I did.

Back In Brazil- "Itchy Butt" (I know, I know...) is very cheesy, but I admit I like it. Fun track and well-recorded, but the main part is kind of eh to me.

Do It Now- I like it. Probably my favorite on the album now other than the ending melody. One of the better productions on the album to my ears. Like the Beach Boys-esque vocals.

Caesar Rock- fun, but eh. Love the intro. I can see why it's liked, and it *almost* clicks with me.... I wish it did. But, hey! At least she's got matchin' teeth. That's always good.

Despite Repeated Warnings, I love it but it seems a bit too slow, a minor complaint with it.

Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link- I love the first two sections a LOT. I don't dislike C-Link, but it seems rather anticlimactic.

Also, for the bonus tracks.

Get Started - It grew on me. I really, really like this one! The ooh-ooh part sounds like mall music to me, lol. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Nothing For Free - hmmmm.... just, hmmm... I like it, but there are some cringe-worthy aspects to it. Fun song....

If you're still here, congratulations!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Finally a new Frank! I was tired of being him. Enjoy the incoming accolades and appreciation for your thoughtful commentary.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    theMess, omikron, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  12. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

:laughup::biglaugh:
    I heard there's a new Dr. Pepper on the way, too.

theMess, omikron and Frank like this.
  13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Maybe I'm him now. I suddenly feel like making an alternate running order playlist and posting it in every tangentially related active thread. Is that normal?

14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I took some time away from this album to get a new perspective of it and I must say this album was a home run. I love it more and more with each listen and I can't wait for the deluxe. The one in quotes is my original review; see how my opinions have slightly changed:

Opening Station & Station II: Great little bits of instrumentals to put us on the cosmic train. I LOVE how Hunt You Down starts in Station II. 10/10

I Don't Know & Come On To Me: These songs have both grown on me. I originally called these "double B-sides" but I couldn't have been more wrong. These songs are excellent, especially with I Don't Know. A McCartney classic. Come On To Me is a McCartney classic in my opinion as well, more so in the "catchy, pop song way". My opinion of the songs improved much better with the release of the 45rpm, I like the context of the songs there better. Both 10/10

Happy With You: A simple song, that says so much. 9/10

Who Cares: A song that I have only grown to love more and more as time goes on. What a jam! 10/10

Fuh You: My girlfriend and I were having a wonderful vacation the week this was put out, I have a lot of good memories of the summer with this one. Besides that, just a great pop song. Love it and I love her. 10/10

Confidante: I am starting to open up to this song more and more 9/10

People Want Peace: One of my absolute favorite songs on the album, amazing. 10/10

Hand In Hand: One of the best McCartney love songs ever 10/10

Dominoes: Still an amazing song. 10/10

Back In Brazil: Another song of which I've grown to LOVE. Great song. 9/10

Do It Now: Love this song. 10/10

Caesar Rock: I love this song, it is a jam, so much fun to sing in the car. Man I didn't expect to love this song so much but I do. 10/10

Despite Repeated Warnings: Politics aside, AMAZING SONG. 10/10

Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link: 10/10 all around, I love everything about this melody, especially Naked and C-Link

Woo!

Bonus tracks; Get Started & Nothing For Free: Both have grown on me a lot, especially Nothing For Free. Get Started starts without going anywhere much, still pretty good. 7/10, 9/10 respectively

Amazing albums, amazing artist. I give this album a 10/10.

I333I, theMess, angelees and 5 others like this.
  15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

This makes me smile.

16. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Wow! You ARE the new Frank! :wave:;)

theMess, Ringo Hendrix and Frank like this.
  17. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Nah. Two things I'll always like are Jet and couples making memories to a McCartney soundtrack (preferably also Jet).

18. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

:edthumbs:

theMess and Frank like this.
  19. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Deluxe announcement, please come soon!

theMess, mikecarrera and FKA002 like this.
  20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More info about the Musical Short Film 'WHO CARES'"

Ryan Adams on Instagram:

"I recently edited this short film for Paul McCartney's new album Egypt Station."

"Shot on #65mm by Academy Award Winning Cinematographer Linus Sandgren (LA LA LAND)"

Artemis Rising on Instagram:

"Sir Paul McCartney has made yet another memorable musical film. Titled WHO CARES, the film takes on bullying—a subject that's particularly meaningful for Executive Producer Regina K. Scully—and very much in keeping with films that Artemis Rising helps to produce. Starring Emma Stone, the film debuts at Laemmle's Monica Film Center, in Los Angeles, and from 12/10 to 12/16 you can sneak a peek. Soon after, the film will be available online (and seen on screens around the world!)."

Creative Visions on Instagram:

""Who Cares" a musical short film starring Paul McCartney & Emma Stone"

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Makes me think this will feature the return of Paul's (1984) Silly Love Songs make-up genius - a favorite of Frank's...
    [​IMG]

23. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

He can neither confirm nor deny said beans. ;)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  24. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I sense a Weird Al guest track.

“Fingers Crossed” the polka version.

theMess and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  25. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

jmxw, theMess, supermd and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.