Paul McCartney - Egypt Station - Traveller’s Edition / Explorer's Edition*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

My color explorer edition vinyl arrived and looks beautiful!

Who Cares, maccawings and mikecarrera like this.
  2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

4. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

share inside pictures if you can, please.

5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've done an "unboxing" video of the Explorer's Edition CD that's just arrived :)

6. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

How so I post pics here? I'm very tech stupid so easiest way please and I'll try

mikecarrera likes this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

My local store has put a copy of the 3LP set aside for me to collect tomorrow. Selling for £48 so a bit cheaper than I’ve seen elsewhere. I’m not fussed about coloured version.

That and the Hi Res download is as deluxe enough as I want to get with the album

8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

According to Kurstin [if I recall the quote correctly] they recorded four of five versions before they ended up with the one on the record. So there are 3 or 4 different recordings [not mixes] of BIB in the archives somewhere....

Will they ever see the light of day? Who knows? Personally, I was surprised that none of them showed up in the Traveler/Explorer... :shrug:

Digital-G, supermd, Eska68 and 2 others like this.
  9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

And my Egypt Station USB sticks arrive tomorrow. Will post pics when the come

Hawkman likes this.
  10. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I believe using the word "sizzling" may have been misleading for some readers. I really think there is room for a guitar solo in Back in Brazil, something jazzy or keeping with the slight bossa nova rhythm. That would be nice.

Who Cares and vinylbeat like this.
  11. JRSIV

JRSIV JRSIV Music Ltd.

The Beatles & McCartney have a long history of giving their fans good bang for the buck, there are many examples, including their awareness of value for money with them being concerned about the Yellow Submarine soundtrack release because it only had a few new songs & George Martin instrumentals.

Egypt Station Explorer's Edition however is not a good buy for fans as it's basically $25 for 2 songs (B side tunes at best). "Frank Sinatra's Party" sounds like one of McCartney's in studio "create-a-track's", while still better than "Fuh You" it's a studio dick around song.

"Sixty Second Street" is okay, but next to the stellar songs on Egypt Station proper it just sort of sits there. The track I was looking forward to most was the full length "Who Cares", along with "Dominoes", it's one of my favorites on the album. The closing jam was interesting to hear but is it essential to the song? No. There are probably end song jams on 60% of the multitrack session tapes from the Beatles sessions well into his solo career.

As a scholarly fan I love hearing this stuff, but as a piece of business to birth a refurbished rerelease less than a year after the album came out isn't enough to justify it. It reminded me of the jam at the end of "Something"; I'm glad I got to hear it but it won't be something I reach for often.

I get the collectors market and since this was a Number 1 album Capitol & MPL want to run it through the juicer a few times. Having all the material on one physical package is nice...but that's about it. Not essential if you have the Target edition ("Get Started" & "Nothing For Free" being the best of the rest anyway) and MP3/FLAC's...just my opinion.

12. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Personally, I am ok with that. Although maybe a different version would be less offensive to me but I surely don’t need 4 to 5 versions of that crap

13. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I really like the extended "Who Cares"! He really didnt need to edit it for the album

14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I think Who Cares might be one of the only times Paul has gotten timing right on a single since the 2000s! It’s a perfect length, just the way it is imho and ymmv

Who Cares and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  15. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I think the full length version should have been on the album, but then released the shorter version as the "single version"

16. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Yes especially when there was brief thread speculation that Back In Brazil alternate(s) might be forthcoming.

That being said, it’s almost as if the album‘s content variations changed along the way, or so it seems.

17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Sixty second street reminds me of I Owe It All To You.

Michael Streett likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Many people seems to have an aversion towards Back in Brazil
    I can understand that but personally adore that track. Such an amazing and tricky arrangement and so much fun. Sort of brazilian ObladiOblada
    I never fail to smile hearing this song. Also really enjoy the multilayered arrangement and easy-goin storytelling

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The full-lenght version has some killer guitar-riffs and bass-playing.Glad to have it

jammincrowe and alduchaney like this.
  20. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I ordered from Macca's UK store, had a despatch email yesterday but nothing in the post today. Isn't today release day? Poor show to not get these things delivered on release day.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, to be fair, I don't think any of that came from any kind of official source, just us speculating on possibilities... :tiphat:

Monasmee likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My new and improved Egypt Station - The Traveler's Exploration Edition is ready, and it works great, IMHO!

Egypt Station Deluxe - - The Traveler's Exploration Edition - Paul McCartney, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

Pre-Opening trilogy
    "Frank Sinatra's Party"
    "Get Started" 3:41
    "Sixty Second Street"
    Opening track "Opening Station" 0:42
    Train is leaving the station with 13 passengers in the first car and they are thinking about...
    1. "People Want Peace" 2:59
    2. "I Don't Know" 4:27
    3. "Come On to Me" 4:11
    4. "Happy with You" 3:34
    5. "Who Cares" 3:13
    6. "Fuh You" 3:23
    7. "Confidante" 3:04
    8. "Hand in Hand" 2:35
    9. "Dominoes" 5:02
    10. "Back in Brazil" 3:21
    11. "Do It Now" 3:17
    12. "Caesar Rock" 3:29
    13. "Despite Repeated Warnings" 6:58
    14. Our passengers arrive at "Station II" 0:46
    Passengers disembark the train and a busker entertains them with 5 songs, the last two reminding them to give him some money for his performance because you don't get "Nothing for Free" and everyone needs to "Get Enough" to survive.
    15. "Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link" 6:22
    16. "Nothing for Free" 3:15
    17. "Get Enough"

P.S. I think this is the only Paul McCartney album ever, where I love every track. Some more than others, but I love them all. And they all work together as a pretty cohesive narrative, that I will post soon.

maui jim, Who Cares, theMess and 9 others like this.
  23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

While the Explorer Edition has lyrics pages for every song, there is no breakdown on who plays on each song

Hawkman likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My new and improved Egypt Station - The Traveler's Exploration Edition with explanations, and it works great, IMHO!

Egypt Station Deluxe - - The Traveler's Exploration Edition - Paul McCartney, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

The Pre-Opening Trilogy is the beginning of Paul being in that twilight just in the process of waking up and imagining a great story/dream of him being a busker that has just been at a party for Sinatra and needs to get his day started by following Sixty Second Street down to the train station.
    Pre-Opening trilogy
    "Frank Sinatra's Party"
    "Get Started" 3:41
    "Sixty Second Street"
    Opening track "Opening Station" 0:42
    Train is leaving the station with 13 passengers in the first car and they are thinking about...
    1. "People Want Peace" 2:59 Paul imagines his father being the train conductor and sharing his thoughts of what he thinks the people want.
    2. "I Don't Know" 4:27 One of the passengers is questioning life and trying to figure out what to do next.
    3. "Come On to Me" 4:11 Two passengers flirt with each other as they sit close to each other and try and figure out if the want to pursue something more than flirting.
    4. "Happy with You" 3:34 A elderly married couple sit close to each other while one of them thinks about the happiness the other has brought into their life, probably Paul and Nancy.
    5. "Who Cares" 3:13 A parent shares with her child how much she cares for the child even though the parent knows the child has been bullied.
    6. "Fuh You" 3:23 A young man tries to explain to his lover that all of the questionable choices he has made are really for her and to try and improve their life together.
    7. "Confidante" 3:04 Paul's guitar starts to talk with him about being left out of his life, but maybe it's really Linda in disguise.
    8. "Hand in Hand" 2:35 A young man considers proposing to his young love.
    9. "Dominoes" 5:02 Another passenger contemplates how all the decisions we make in life are like dominoes one leading to the next all effecting each other.
    10. "Back in Brazil" 3:21 A traveler from Brazil planning to return to his homeland.
    11. "Do It Now" 3:17 A passenger trying to convince himself and others to not wait but take action now.
    12. "Caesar Rock" 3:29 Everyone needs to have that rock in their relationship that is their anchor for Paul now it's probably Nancy.
    13. "Despite Repeated Warnings" 6:58 A lively discussion about going in the wrong direction and some of our world leaders taking us places that they have been warned not to go.
    14. Our passengers arrive at "Station II" 0:46
    Passengers disembark the train and a busker/dreamstate Paul entertains them with 5 songs, the last two reminding them to give him some money for his performance because you don't get "Nothing for Free" and everyone needs to "Get Enough" to survive.
    15. "Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link" 6:22
    16. "Nothing for Free" 3:15
    17. "Get Enough"

P.S. I think this is the only Paul McCartney album ever, where I love every track. Some more than others, but I love them all. And they all work together as a pretty cohesive narrative, that I just outlined for you.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    maui jim, Bemagnus, Eska68 and 2 others like this.
  25. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I use Postimage.org I’m like you trust me it’s easy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.