Paul McCartney "Empty Hand" film music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Aug 3, 2020.

1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

In 1976 or 1977, depending on your internet source, a karate film called Empty Hand was released containing exclusive Paul McCartney music. It is about a karate competition from what I can gather and Geoff Britton, Wings' karate drummer, was the link here.

Empty Hand (1976)
    Empty Hand (1977) - IMDb

The music was recorded in 1975.

Two of the song titles are "Backwards" and "Karate Chaos".

Has anyone seen this film? What else is known? Comments? Is there a description of the music?

"Backwards" (sometimes listed as "Reverse") can be heard here but I don't believe any of the remaining music is out there in any fashion.

This likely isn't the lost ark but it is interesting.

2. In your link, we can read "
    Strange thing... (and so, there's songs in it?)

And because it's a "Paul McCartney Production", we can hope to see the film (or the music) in the future London Town box... ??

Paulwalrus and tug_of_war like this.
  3. In fact, it's the first time I read something about this film.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. omikron

Paul recorded roughly 5 tracks for the film.

Unfortunately I think the odds of this making it into the box are slim. Still, I guess it's possible. It would be quite a dark horse addition.

Given the unhappy departure of Mr. Britton, I'm willing to bet Paul will just let the film rot in the vaults.

linklinc11 and Hep Alien like this.
  5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

It should have been on the Venus And Mars box...

6. Yes, but because it's too late...

Nothing on bootlegs?

tug_of_war likes this.
  7. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

When I interviewed David Litchfield, this is what he had to say about Empty Hand.

"I did a short karate film with Geoff called Empty Hands. It did very well and went out with a Chinese director called Ken Hu and went out as a second feature. Very well received and Paul did the music on that which was good fun. He funded it and didn’t interfere at all. He just wanted to see it when it was done. He liked it."

8. winojunko76

Here is an excerpt from Jeremy Pascall's Paul McCartney and Wings book

"Much was made of Britton's accomplishments as a karate expert. He had recently been a member of the British Amateur Karate Association team that had beaten some exponents from Japan - the home of the sport. The victory was recorded on film by director David Litchfield on behalf of McCartney Productions. The resultant 32 minute documentary - Empty Hand - was finally released in 1977 with Paul shown on the credits as producer and contributing abstract percussion music - rather ironic as Britton is a drummer!"

Paulwalrus, Tord, 5th-beatle and 3 others like this.
  9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Britton did leave the band. Probably before the music was done. Thus, Paul on percussion.

tug_of_war, longdist01 and omikron like this.
  10. omikron

@winojunko76 thank you for some more detail and history here!

Why were you interviewing David Litchfield?

11. winojunko76

For my book on Jimmy McCulloch.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. omikron

Oh nice. Sorry to be ignorant but is this published yet? Sounds interesting.

13. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well, ya learn something every day, now don't you!? Thanks, Omikron! Thanks, Winojunko!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    omikron likes this.
  14. winojunko76

Not yet. I just received approval from his family on the manuscript so it is his authorized biography.

15. David Litchfield is also the "One hand clapping" director. He was camera operator for the famous "Cosmos 1999" TV series.

David Litchfield - IMDb

Paulwalrus, Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  16. Eva María

Eva María New Member

If anyone knows how to access the documentary "Empty Hand", share it, please. I'm very interested to see it.

17. omikron

Did a recent poke around and still haven't found much of anything more on this film.

Here's a photo of Geoff engaged in some karate though!

[​IMG]

18. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting.

19. omikron

I've uncovered this title as one of the handful that Paul recorded for this film from The Beatles Bible.

"Piano, Violin, Etc."

Apparently they were all recorded at the time "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reggae" was recorded in May 1975.

Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reggae

Geoff Britton left Wings in March 1975 supposedly so the timing seems odd that Paul would be making music for a film on a guy who just quit his band. I'm guessing because by then, Paul was under agreement to complete the music.

jmxw likes this.
  20. omikron

Just reproducing here as a possible film clue. Perhaps Empty Hand was recovered along with One Hand Clapping.