Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

...wish I bought it too

Sargon likes this.
  2. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It's huge in a bad way - massive only so Linda's outsize picture portfolio can be accommodated. Everything else would fit into the Dylan box.

3. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Uh..... Seriously. What's "Big Blue"?

Ya talkin about "Blue Meanies"?o_O

Yeah, I wish I bought that thing too. But I'd wish I did a lot more if I even knew what it was.
    Perhaps it is best not to tell me. Ignorance has been the key to my bliss for a long time now.;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  4. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Okay, that big beautiful Dylan box. Very nice indeed.

5. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Still immersing myself in the set, having not opened it till a couple of weeks ago. Watched some of In The World Tonight, which I have never seen. It’s brilliant and I had something in my eye for most of it:) Just listening to the Home Demos disc, absolutely reminds me why I hold Paul in such high esteem. This was a ‘get it out of the way’ play as I didn’t have great expectations and I’ve never been happier to be proved wrong. I actually prefer the version of FP on this, to the album version. Also Beautiful Night, WOW.

6. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Same Love is a beautiful track. Originally from 1987 perhaps? B-side to Beautiful Night? Great number anyway.

7. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

It's actually a leftover from Flowers in the Dirt that Paul pulled out for a b-side to "Beautiful Night" in 1997 when he didn't have any more songs.
    "Don't Break The Promise (demo)" is also from the sessions.
    They are good songs — and demonstrate just how much of a creative burst Paul had between 1987 and 1992, writing Flowers in the Dirt, Off the Ground, and multiple discs worth of extra tracks as well as the covers batch.

Mother, Lewisboogie, Calico and 3 others like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It certainly is. And Nicky Hopkins provides the lovely understated piano work.

Mother, Lewisboogie, theMess and 4 others like this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

We should make Nicky an honorary ex-Beatle. ;)

He helped push a lot of their music to a higher level.

theMess, Hep Alien, omikron and 2 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Nicky is the only person who can be an honorary Beatle, honorary Stone, honorary Who, and honorary Kink.

11. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

I don't know if it has been answered before (this topic has too many pages), but can some Macca expert give the year of the home recordings and demos of CD2 and CD3 ?

CD2-1 The Song We Were Singing (Home Recording)
    CD2-2 The World Tonight (Home Recording)
    CD2-3 If You Wanna (Home Recording)
    CD2-4 Somedays (Home Recording)
    CD2-5 Young Boy (Home Recording)
    CD2-6 Calico Skies (Home Recording)
    CD2-7 Flaming Pie (Home Recording)
    CD2-8 Souvenir (Home Recording)
    CD2-9 Little Willow (Home Recording)
    CD2-10 Beautiful Night (1995 Demo) -> that one is easy, it's 1995 :D
    CD2-11 Great Day (Home Recording)

CD3-1 Great Day (Acoustic)
    CD3-2 Calico Skies (Acoustic)
    CD3-3 C'mon Down C'mon Baby
    CD3-4 If You Wanna (Demo)
    CD3-5 Beautiful Night (Run Through)
    CD3-6 The Song They Were Singing (Rough Mix)
    CD3-7 The World Tonight (Rough Mix)
    CD3-8 Little Willow (Rough Mix)
    CD3-9 Whole Life (Rough Mix)
    CD3-10 Heaven On A Sunday (Rude Cassette)

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

So what exactly is a Rude Cassette? What's different about it compared to the home recordings which also come from cassettes?

13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It was recorded in Rude Studio? :shrug:
    Actually, that would be the ultimate "McCartney lll, or whatever numerical value you want to attach to it. A collection of Rude Studio demos.

joy stinson and Hep Alien like this.
  14. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Then why not call it "Rude Studio Demo" or something. The home recordings aren't called "Home Cassette" either. That fact that it's from a cassette doens't really mean anything, does it?

15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Why? He played on exactly one Beatles song.

16. Arnold Grove

I think he was being accorded that status of "honorary ex-Beatle" because of his frequent piano work with all 4 solo Beatles, especially George and John.

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  17. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Love Nicky's session work having later bought his solo album The Tin Man Was A Dreamer. Was his autobiography with Ray Coleman ever released?

Interesting how Billy Preston appeared with the Beatles, yet, Nicky Hopkins & Eric Clapton were never offered a similar distinction.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

McCartney III's URL has been registered by MPL recently, and Rusty did say Paul recorded an album on his own during this pandemic, so it's quite possible that McCartney III may materialize in the next year or so.
    As for those demos, I would not put it past Paul/MPL to release a series of demos/outtakes sets called Rude Studio… he did muse that would be a good alternate title to Cold Cuts at one point, so it's still a title he likes.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

McCartney III will “ materialize” December 11th.

Hep Alien, omikron, augustboy and 5 others like this.
  20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Hopkins is definitely "5th Ex-Beatle" status, having recorded with all four on solo projects before he died. Clapton, is the other I guess, and he has recorded AND played live with all four.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

RUDE STUDIO would be a great title for a demos collection of whatever Paul has in the can at Rude (completely unreleased songs + demos of released songs). Maybe curating that will be a project for Paul in a few years time...

omikron likes this.
  22. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

You forgot the Jefferson Airplane and Quicksilver Messenger Service.:righton:

His contributions to the J.A. "Volunteers" album are are what makes those performances so dynamic!
    Highlight for me is "Hey Frederick", the way he seamlessly integrates his style within the context of the band leads to some exciting interplay.

But, for me, Hopkins's really shines on the Quicksilver material!
    In doesn't get much better than this:

Hep Alien and Arnold Grove like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

And the Jeff Beck Group too. Nicky was a master in all the many musical settings where he contributed his piano work.

24. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

Yeah, probably my favorite track of beck-ola would be Hopkins's own "Girl From Mill Valley". I love how the track slowly builds in intensity to its final crescendo!
    It definitely packs an emotional wallop; leaves me teary eyed everytime I hear it.

25. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

Heard this album for the first time today. A clear winner. So many outstanding songs.

Tord, Hep Alien, omikron and 2 others like this.