Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

The only one who had the 'extra CDs would raise the price' question was Flowers in the Dirt. And we can all agree it should not have impacted the consumer price all that much (as Red Rose Speedway vs Wild Life demonstrates).
    Venus And Mars made the intent of not having everything out – but rather give the best additional material for the album – clear.
    We can complain, but it's also clear Paul is holding stuff back for future catalogue releases.

Still, the other question is what to do with McCartney, which has very few outtakes of note.
    Acoustic demos for "Heather" and "Goodbye" could have been an option, but they were done mid-Beatles and may have been up for consideration during Anthology, so MPL didn't want to go there.
    Early demos of "Every Night" and "Junk" certainly are linked to The Beatles' sessions.

Realistically, I could see a maximum of "Indeed I Do" and take one of "Maybe I'm Amazed" but one or both may be designated for a follow up project. Instead we got two other outtakes.
    Two piano demos of songs that never went further is fine for this set — but the tape that's circulating has piano demos of "Million Miles," "I'll Give You A Ring" and "Letting Go," so it actually dates later.
    It's a real problem of an album.

Personally, I think having someone to plot out where the key tracks are to go would have been a big boon to the project — but they had no idea in 2010 if there was even a market for this stuff.
    Band on the Run was a test launch… and screwed things up too.

Band on the Run's bonus disc could have been: "Helen Wheels," "Zoo Gang," "Tomorrow (instrumental)," "Fourth Of July (demo)," "Mine For Me (demo)," "Wide Prairie (duet version)," "Blue Moon Of Kentucky (Nashville recording)," "Walking In The Park With Eloise," "Bridge Over The River Suite," "Sally G," "Junior's Farm," "Soily (1974 rehearsal)." That could have led into One Hand Clapping getting a second release, or at least showing a band in transition.

It would have opened up half of Venus And Mars too, where you could replace them with the single mix of "Venus And Mars/Rock Show," the 12" mix of "My Carnival," and some rehearsals/other takes of the material. Heck, there's a 1975 early version of "Let 'Em In" too.

But as fans, we can only dream. And then get the songs on our playlists in the order that we want. :shh:

Elliottmarx likes this.
  2. Brian from Canada

I would base it on the next month — the vinyl sales can be a mix of collectors (who buy multiple copies) and flippers of limited edition releases.
    The digital sales and Spotify-style streaming numbers can be more accurate as to who is and who isn't wanting the album for its content.

Fabsmith and Elliottmarx like this.
  3. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

"Two piano demos of songs that never went further is fine for this set — but the tape that's circulating has piano demos of "Million Miles," "I'll Give You A Ring" and "Letting Go," so it actually dates later."

Is that the old "Piano Tape" boot or something else ?

Floater likes this.
  4. ehwalled

ehwalled Forum Resident

We Can Work it Out Sargon ..... (ok that was corny, I apologize). :laugh:
    My Violet is mint tho. Yes, it is opened but unplayed given all the damages reported, I opened almost all of mine to inspect. If it makes you feel better, there is a lot that didn't get their violets. I know of some in North America and Europe. :sigh:

Is violet the new white spine? :wtf:

Sargon likes this.
  5. Brian from Canada

That boot. Most of the tracks are deemed to date to 1974… which would suggest either the tape was built up and referenced a la Cold Cuts or it was all done at one time.
    Either way, the rest of the tracks tend to pull towards to later sets, so they wouldn't work on McCartney.

6. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

It’s been a while since listening to Mc3. My opinion hasn’t changed a lot, but the good stuff is very good. Unfortunately there are songs on each side I don’t care much for. The problem with vinyl is having to hear it all.
    But songs I really like, and where his aged vocals don’t bother me are: Side A. Long Tailed Winter Bird, Slidin, (Side B) Deep Deep Feeling (love the experimental vibe), The Kiss Of Venus, Seize The Day and Winter Bird/When Winter Comes.
    All in all it is pretty good, but still not top-tier McCartney.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Wow. Europe too. Crazy.

Is the white spine the new "poor-man's" 333 yellow? ;)

For me, any E.U. black M3 vinyl without serious scuffs all over the surface would be the rarest thing of all! :agree:
    I didn't open any of my U.S. black vinyl copies, so I don't know if they fared any better. (I was going to after other colors I really wanted to open and play came in, but then . . . ).

Anyway, I've learned with the E.U. black vinyl, - don't look at it. Just play it. Much happier now. (If anyone has clean copies of this, - in strong light, don't let it out of your sight).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    ehwalled and Tracey like this.
  8. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Wise like a dog begging for morsals of information or wise like a cop on a power trip?

joeislive likes this.
  9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

neither, wise as informed. But as expected I was right! Lol!

10. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

Right ? Did I miss "the" announcement you've been teasing ?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  11. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I wonder if they exist if any additional tracks from the McIII sessions will trickle out as a single, or be kept for a "Deluxe" edition of the album this Christmas or something. If any exist, it's probably just 1 or 2, assuming.

I do think if III Imagined is successful, it could set a blueprint for how Paul could celebrate big anniversaries of some of his iconic albums, for instance an Anniversary Collectors Edition of Band on the Run could include all the stuff that was on the original Archive edition, plus a full extra disc of each track radically remixed for a completely different feel, and not necessarily by other artists, but maybe by Paul and a remixer working in tandem, or someone like Giles since Paul trusts him and his experience with Love and the Beatles box sets...

Elliottmarx likes this.
  12. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

The BBC did a reimagining/cover for the 50th anniversary of the Please Please Me album that’s worth checking out. All recordings were done on the same day:

13. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

You guys will have to forgive me for picking up this oldish convo :D
    But I came across this and yeah. I've seen that story of them having a studio booked so many times, quoted as fact. But as you guys say, there's really nothing that indicates they were there in their relationship at that point at all. That interview of Paul and Linda in Good Morning America... it's clear they aren't in the best of terms. See how Paul says when asked to comment "anything I say, he (John) gets resentful of".

That's not to say that they didn't repair their relationship. They did and were quite close for a while again in the early to mid 70's (and probably could well have worked together again then, Garfunkel's account is from this time iirc), apparently until John told him off for visiting without calling, whenever that was. The sad thing is, you can tell he regrets this, from the way he describes it in the Playboy interview. I think his words are "I didn't mean it like that"?. I do think all logic indicates that if John had lived they have become closer again, as had happened before.

Where does the story that they had booked studio time (or tried to) comes from anyway? Sorry I followed this convo and didn't see anything about it specifically. Jack Douglas?

Hartman is definitely not taking John out of context. He's focusing on the negative for sure, but that's just as valid as it'd be if he had chosen to focus on the positive comments John made.

foxylady likes this.
  14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Which is to say, not valid at all.

15. ehwalled

ehwalled Forum Resident

Oh maybe!! BUT we have yet to really "see" a true white spine advertised up for grabs on eBay or Discog so its value has not been established..... which SCARES the heck out of me lol.

mrjinks and Sargon like this.
  16. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

It's valid, he's asking him to respond to a specific comment. Is he supposed to mention everything John said about him?

joy stinson likes this.
  17. I believe that as far as finished songs, the Archive series has pretty well covered the Ram period. However, there are many different mixes of A Love For You, The Great Cock and Seagull Race, Sunshine Sometime, When the Wind Is Blowing, etc., that have not been officially released. The Archive series has in some cases given us inferior versions of these tracks compared to what remains in the vault. For example, the version of The Great Cock and Seagull Raced which McCartney played on the radio in 1971 and announced as an “unfinished” version had many more overdubs of instruments and sound effects that the mix released on the Ram Archive. I guess what we got was the “REALLY unfinished” version! And the version released on the Wild Life Archive, although longer, was more bare in certain ways.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  18. Here’s one of the most complete versions—although it’s missing the intro sound effects present on yet another version of the song. However, it has vocal overdubs and synthesizer not present in other versions. I think I’ve heard five different mixes.

In all of its versions, it is really a failed experiment.

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I can't help but wonder if these overdubs were done later. Perhaps this was an attempt to finish the song for Cold Cuts.

joy stinson likes this.
  20. peteham

peteham Senior Member

See my original post. He was baiting Paul, and Paul didn’t go for it. It was cheap and shoddy.

21. suffragette

suffragette McCartney vocal freak

I don"t feel like Wild Life will be getting another re-release soon... but the Rick Rubin documentary... I feel like I've been waiting for it all my life!!!

Max Wilbury likes this.
  22. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

Can someone answer 1 question for me? Is this Mc3 with other people guesting, or are they totally new versions by those guests?
    I see there’s a remix by Paul. I’m wondering if he’s on all the songs. I’m not sure I’d want to invest in the entire set if it’s a covers set of an album that didn’t exactly change my life in an unmistakably profound manner, ie., made me want to hear it more than twice.
    Thanks for any help.

23. bward

bward Senior Member

I agree. The negative things John said are more revelatory about his thinking and the state of things between John and Paul than any of Lennon’s few compliments about McCartney.

It wasn’t trashy for Hartman to zero in on that.

John was being honest about his feelings at the time.

Hartman was asking Paul about it.

Hartman was doing his job.

If John gushed about his rekindled friendship with Paul and how they had studio time booked, and couldn’t wait to see his old buddy again, I think this interview with Paul would have been much different.

But John didn’t. And this is what we have.

It’s OK. Two collaborators had a very public falling out, and never fully recovered their friendship.

It happens.

John Lennon was the guy who sang “Gimme Some Truth” and that’s pretty much the truth right there.

Paulwalrus and Oyster Boy like this.
  24. bward

bward Senior Member

The short answer is we don’t really know yet.

BUT, with the two songs we have, it seems to be a combination of covers and remixes with heavy Paul involvement.

This is one of Macca’s side projects on steroids.

I’m not ready to call it his “newest album” yet. But it’s close. And for me, it’s an essential purchase.

So it’s not another “Art of McCartney.”

Floater, Sargon, Elliottmarx and 2 others like this.
  25. bward

bward Senior Member

I saw this a few years ago. It’s fantastic.

Bilbo Swaggins likes this.