Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Well, that's what I'm asking - did he have time to make changes to a song that was recorded in July but not released until December? OK, he would've heard Imagine in September...so that's 2 months he's got to makes changes if he wanted to. Not saying he did BUT is it a possibility?

Edit: a little over 2 months to make changes since Imagine was released early Sep.

2. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Agreed. Deep Deep Feeling is too edgy, original and perfect to be MESSED WITH.:cussing: I have NO interest in anyone adding or taking away one note from this masterpiece.
    If you want a next generation, new, blow-your-mind remix/re-recorded sound for this, just listen to the original, - the one, - the only. Already done. It FLOORS me every time. :faint:

(Just a deep, deep, feeling I have). :shh:

P.S. Is this song actually scheduled for a "reimagined treatment" on the new release?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Seems petty, seriously doubt McCartney would have gone out of his way like that!

4. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I don't understand: why petty? The song is about reconciliation. How is that petty and why wouldn't he have gone out of his way to reconcile with John? As it turns out, he did go out of his way to reconcile with John even without hearing HDYS because that's the great strength of Dear Friend - he's going out of his way to reach out. He's putting himself on the line. For John - for both their sakes.

Paulwalrus and whisper3978 like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'm talking about petty in the sense of trying to respond to How Do You Sleep! McCartney knew absolutely nothing about the song at the time he recorded Dear Friend. Dear Friend addresses their relationship, not How Do You Sleep!

Bemagnus likes this.
  6. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. We'll probably never know unless he sheds new light on it in November with the lyrics book. However, I just want to point out that the idea that he might have responded to an absolutely disgraceful attack on his character and his music by reaching out with peace and love - is in no way petty, but a show of strength. In any case, that's what he did with or without knowledge of HDYS. He was responding to John slagging him off in public by being the better man.

Edit: just saw your edit. lol. I don't think that Paul would be so direct as to directly challenge HDYS. When I talk about a 'response' to that song, I don't mean literally addressing the song.

BellaLuna likes this.
  7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Calm down, man! I can see you screaming like mad even though you're not using caps lock this time... :winkgrin:

8. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Yep, 'Deep Deep Feeling' will be remixed by 3D RDN, Robert '3D' Del Naja, from Massive Attack. I think he could carry this off.

Paulwalrus and Henrik Jutbring like this.
  9. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I'm going to have a massive attack the day it's released that's for sure. Sargon, how are we going to deal with this? :laugh: I'll need to breathe into a paper bag. Maybe it'll be awesome and I'll be like :pineapple:

Paulwalrus likes this.
  10. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

(gulp!) :wtf::sweating:

I guess the Mona Lisa could benefit from a little "touch-up" paint. ;)

Actually it's a win-win. The new interpretations that I've really liked are great fun and the ones we don't like as much only serve to prove the timeless, ageless genius McCartney really is.
    Young and "brand new" can't touch him, even when given the entire song(s) to rework. With this in mind, I think I can appreciate the new ones without unrealistic expectations. It's all good!

11. caesarrocking

caesarrocking Forum Resident

We have the home demos of the song, apparently from 1970, with the same core lyrics, and just him on the piano, playing the same chords in the same style. He did work on Dear Friend in the studio in October, but that session was only for the orchestral overdubs.
    So I would say it certainly wasn't an answer to HDYS, and to be fair, despite Paul's description of the song or the mainstream narrative, the lyrics aren't entirely about "hanging up the boxing gloves" (which is what Paul said about it) or complete reconciliation (which is what people attach to the song) either. "Are you a fool, or is it true"... That hardly counts as an attempt reconcile with someone. It has a taunting, accusatory vibe, similar to the songs on Ram, but since compared to, say Too Many People, it does have a different tone too, it would have made it seem like it was carrying a more peaceful message. It is an answer to what John had been putting the two of them, Paul and Linda, and Paul through at the time and it is somewhat of an olive branch. But I wouldn't say Paul was "going out of his way to reconcile with John". Instead he was expressing his disappointment, uncertainty and frustration about how John had been acting and the things he'd been saying about Paul, and both their relationship, and Paul and Linda's relationship. Privately and publicly. To me this song has more to do with him showing his exhaustion with John's behaviour, and him questioning the authenticity or motives of/for this behaviour; rather than him making huge efforts to reconcile with John.
    I mean, of course saying that "dear friend, I'm in love, and really truly, young and newly wed, so stop being a fool and let's celebrate instead with a glass of wine because this is something to be happy about", is certainly showing a "let's be cool" attitude, but it's not embodying a huge attempt to reconcile without any further thoughts. He makes sure to express his other feelings and get some digs in as well, in the rest of the song, which don't gain much traction amongst fans. (Even though I think they must have had as big an impact on John, as the other "message" of the track.)
    </back to M3>

12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

This is a great reading of Dear Friend, very perceptive and thoughtful. I really appreciate this. It's quite different from my reading of it, which I'm due to post in the Wild Life appreciation thread soon. Obv, I take into account musical arrangement, his vocals and that the lyrics consist largely of questions. So as not to derail the Macca III thread further - would you mind if I post yours in the Wild Life thread as an alternative reading to mine? I think the more variety of opinion the better the discussion! Also thanks for clearing up the question of whether or not he might have changed the song. Edit: or you could just post it yourself. :)

caesarrocking and Paulwalrus like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

How Do You sleep, To many people, Dear Friend and such things are old news. Songs written by young men in a business and personal fight. Obviosly the lads themself didn t take these matters as seriosly as some fans seemingly still do-50 years on
    However fact is John had heard To Many People when he wrote How Do You Sleeo and Obviosly was annoyed. Being John his answer was very direct
    Anyway it was just some digs between the boys nothing serious really
    I enjoy all these songs and could t care less about their in-fighting
    Dear Friend happens to be one of my favorite McCartney songs of all time
    The same goes for To Many People
    and
    How Do You Sleep is a brilliant rocknumber

Sean Murdock and Sargon like this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

:righton: :agree: :edthumbs:

Floater, Oyster Boy and joy stinson like this.
  15. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

That was John singing that but..lol.

16. joy stinson

Fact is also...as an American reading John’s Two part RS interviews ...sis subscribed to nag so I read it at the time,l.and John’s and Yoko public US tv press rounds slagging Paul at every opportunity....the RS mag interviews later published as Lennon remembers...Paul read, saw and heard about all of that and all of the slag remarks about him in RS interview and wrote Too many people in response about the extreme hypocrisy of peacenick John involving himself in slagging and song is likewise directed to other hypocritical folks hollering peace then who were involved with violent activities and who wanted to tell others...”what they ought to be”....Yours truly well remembers that time...

17. joy stinson

He wasn’t perfect and no one ever is ..but he truly showed very classy behavior in that way throughout his long career...He even publicly called his fans off off of insulting Heather by saying she had been his wife as he’d decades earlier called them off of insulting Linda...though Heather was trolling him mercilessly in the press by the end of the marriage and throughout the divorce and subsequent custody battle...

Paulwalrus likes this.
  18. joy stinson

Dear friend was a patch up ..olive branch to John ..because of his multi press rounds Paul slag fest,,,Regardless of when the two songs were recorded, John and Yoko and George behind them had been running the US press rounds downing Paul..

19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I'm completely confused with what is going on in Maccaworld. What is this new version all about? Is it a McCartney record or not? Why are we getting this? Is it because it appeared in 50 shades and almost immediately disappeared and we are now getting more incarnations presumably to extend its life. Perhaps I have missed something. It appears to me that we are perhaps on the brink of a treasure trove of special releases from the Lennon, Harrison and Beatles camps and I sort of expected an announcement of an archive release from McCartney, perhaps even two. I have sort of lost interest in trying to figure out any logic to the release schedule from Paul now. I have really given up after the bizarre items that are appearing now. There is no way you can follow this without a lottery win.

If anyone can explain I would be most grateful. It does seem to me that things have been derailed by some sort of scattergun approach. We have expensive suitcases, very expensive art print additions, dozens of coloured vinyl editions, various packs with masks etc. And now some sort of random remix release. In contrast we do seem to have some consistency with the Lennon deluxe editions.

Perhaps it is just me but I have given up with trying to make sense of what is happening with Paul's catalogue and as a result buying things. I just got the bog standard McCartney III CD and really have little interest in more. It was OK in places but not a classic. I can't see that random remixes featuring various guests is going to change my opinion. Not sure I will bother with it, perhaps if it appears in sales later on out of vague curiosity but it is not a shouting at me in the way other releases on the horizon are.

Does anyone understand the current situation? I'm willing to listen.

Floater likes this.
  20. joy stinson

I can’t explain the releases...but as am now a broke, retired reduced pensioner...no solo Beatles releases have “shouted”at me since 21st century...though wish I had all those various cool colored vinyl, suitcases, etc., releases because when I collected Beatles and solo Beatles for thirty plus years and could afford to....that weird stuff was...my kind of stuff...I did like the cool low vibe, demo style vibe of the album ....I especially enjoyed the releases by the guests.....I definitely have all I want on Lennon and Harrison but greatly enjoyed collecting on them along with all the solo Beatles in the 20th century...I gave up long, long ago just trying to get all the weird Beatles stuff....let alone the weird solo Beatles stuff, as was far more than I could afford or find ...Any new releases by Paul or any solo Beatles.are for serious collectors those who want and can afford them....I enjoy all of the music posted online and on SHF, but as I lack the funds because I’m saving for any possible emergencies, these special things aren’t for me unless I find them very cheap and used...

dormouse likes this.
  21. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Paul has commissioned 12 artists to rethink one track each from McCartney III (the 12th track is a second remix of Long-Tailed Winter Bird only available on the physical releases). He's executive producer of this album, and most of the tracks include stems/vocals/performance by Paul of some kind, just in remixed, reimagined form. According to Beck, Bridgers and O'Brien, Paul's team sent them the stems for the song they were given to work on, and from there, the assignment was to do whatever they wanted (then submit it for approval to Paul). It seems that Paul (or at least his camp) chose which song to give to which artist, the artists did not pick.

Many of these tracks are what a remixed version would be for a b-side, soundtrack or something like that, with a few curveballs thrown in like the two covers.

Since each track from McCartneyIII is represented it's being packaged and marketed as a companion "reimagined" version of the album...rather than having lots of remixes scattered on singles, as a bonus disc of a deluxe edition of the album, or just released digitally, they're being presented together as a stand-alone physical and digital release.

My personal opinion is this is a trial balloon, for Paul to approach a special 50th Anniversary edition of Band on the Run in reimagined form in a few years....maybe RAM too even though the big anniversary will have passed...

22. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Not sure I get the reasoning but there you go. It seems like the sort of thing that was done a few decades back but I don't really see why he is doing it now when there are such a lot of other projects backing up. That said, he is entitled to do whatever he wishes. Just doesn't appeal to me.

23. joy stinson

Just get the man to release....archives editions of LT, back to the egg and ....my probably weird taste but cool to me press to play album, even BS ... and OTG...those archived editions so folks will post it or some of it on SHF or onsocial media...as my health is so bad now, just some of it before I die will be welcomed...Also would love for YouTube to unblock someone’s earlier posting of all of Bruce Mcmouse....I’m behind, still stuck in the 20th century...lol. Maybe/possibly he too is..behind..doing things like a few decades back...Thus, I can’t fault him for being behind...because I’m woefully so myself.

dormouse likes this.
  24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess it just goes to show we are all different in what we consider important. Maybe I am a few years behind you in terms of buying habits and perhaps am more focused on the music and its development than the coloured vinyl and exotic packaging and multiple formats. That said I do enjoy a well presented deluxe edition with nice informative books etc. I guess Paul has just gone a few steps too far for me. Maybe this is the first step in me jumping off the merry-go-tound as you have. Still looking forward to POB, Get Back, All Things Must Pass. Hoping for London Town and Back To The Egg too but I would prefer him to reduce the extravagance a few degrees and stick to one set rather than the vast array of permutations that have become the norm.

Rockford & Roll and Sargon like this.
  25. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Well, I think we are awaiting similar things! I sincerely do hope you get to hear some of those items you mention. He does produce some nice deluxe editions but I fear that there are some limits that have been exceeded.

Sargon and joy stinson like this.