Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Elliottmarx likes this.
  2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Honestly, though I've just made it up myself, I'm a big believer that McCartney80 will be a thing and for the next 14 months, leading up to his big day, we will be getting project after project. I do believe that McCartney80 will be the motherlode. (My biggest hope) is for 80 unreleased, or under-released songs (like Vanilla Sky, Did We Meet Sometime Before, etc) on on giant package. Perhaps starting with the demo for A World Without Love (or even earlier) and ending with the Watt single (or even later.)

3. I believe the first time I read John’s “Engelbert Humperdinck” comment was in the Lives of John Lennon. I’ll have to find my copy to see if the quote is endnoted.

dralan likes this.
  4. bward

bward Senior Member

And it's the only new McCartney music on the horizon where he is the primary artist.
    In other words, it doesn't appear he is creating this new song for anyone else to perform.
    Paul said recently his next two major projects will present other people singing his new songs.
    This is a first.

5. bward

bward Senior Member

So, the trailer that was unveiled last year was for this?
    I was under the impression the six part series was about McCartney
    Or am I getting it confused with a documentary that was supposed to end with the cancelled Glastonbury Festival performance?
    I actually thought it was all the same thing.

6. Elliottmarx

You're getting confused.

There are, at least, three documentary style films with Paul coming.

...with Mark Ronson
    ... with Rick Rubin
    ... and one directed by Charlie Lightening, a documentary that should have ended with Glastonbury.

7. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

and possibly in Mary's Abbey Road doc!

8. Elliottmarx

Sure would be strange if he didn't pop up in that one.

Durango88 and James McCartney like this.
  9. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

Sooo... McCartney III Imagined... I don't know. I enjoy it, but I gotta be honest here: I wouldn't even care for it, if it wasn't about Macca. Although, I really like Dominic Fike's take on "The Kiss Of Venus". Very cool. Wish that more modern pop songs were that melodic.

The biggest disappointment was Josh Homme's "Lavatory 'Lil", though. I expected a kick-ass-version, but what I've heard was too slow, too boring, too nice... However, after watching his interview with Paul on Instagram, where he explained the tributes to Paul he had put into his version (The breathing effects and swampiness as a tribute to "Come Together", or how he decided to use extreme stereo panning to achieve a very raw McCartney- / Early Beatlesque vibe) I started to enjoying it. Now, that I understand what he actually did, I must say this is one of my favorite tracks on this album now.

Cool, unexpected and quirky project in the tradition of "Thrillington". Nice to have, although it definitely has a McCartney-advantage, IMO

jmxw, joy stinson, kaniffee and 5 others like this.
  10. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

It just occurred to me that Mark Ronson and Rick Rubin aren't the same person...

:hide:

11. Elliottmarx

Not even the same nationality.

jmxw and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And I just found out that Jack Johnson and Jerry Rubin aren't the same person...

;)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  13. bward

bward Senior Member

Wow! Thank you!

Elliottmarx likes this.
  14. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...and I just found out that Paul McCartney and William Campbell aren't the same person. :D

15. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I found it recently on an early video of a seventies John and Yoko interview...the interview saw had Yoko saying it but remember it in the press cited in early seventies I think.

16. joy stinson

Pity cuz I’ve been in love with the William Campbell man since learned of his existence and he became favorite Beatle then solo Beatle as earlier I was more a John and George fan ..lol. Now I haz confuse...lol.:love:

17. joy stinson

I missed that 1985 ...the paul McCartney special...I need to find and see that that. Likewise m I think I’ve heard that bootleg Holley days And see a bit of that 79 video of Holley days online. Thanks for your always very detailed explanations.

18. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I've always thought it was Yoko as well. Other than for the work on "Hiroshima Sky Is Always Blue," I don't recall Yoko being all that praising of Paul's musical talent.

I hope it shows up on YouTube. It's basically some interview questions intercut with clips — but the clips include Wings' first rehearsal, "Peggy Sue," and some music videos. He also hams up a recording of "Press" vocals for the camera.
    Personally, I prefer Put it There to all of them — it's the only one that focuses on the full music instead of the interviews. Or Ghosts In The Past, which explains things in the Liverpool Oratorio.

We know those to be High in the Clouds (with Lady Gaga doing one of the tracks) and It's A Wonderful Life.
    Unless there's another version of McCartney III out there we don't know about.

joy stinson likes this.
  19. joy stinson

Don’t remember Yoko ever praising Pauls musical talent but remember her seventies humperdink put down and her nineties Solieri insults. Nevertheless, he had to get her to help him back the press off of him especially viscous then after Lennon died and believe she did do this from my reading and it was bad that things got so severe for him then that he thought he had to do this.

Someone on another SHF thread mocked this lengthy thread and the high in the clouds with lady Gaga, as well as various sundry others macca threads with the usual troll mocking of albums they see as lesser including Macca iii but I don’t care as enjoy the macca threads where I learn so much from folks like you and others whether I agree with everyone’s various opinions or not. If they want more threads on their artists, they should create them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  20. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

The description makes it sound like each of the 6 episodes will feature a new piece of music with some kind of contribution from the musician interviewed, or maybe that's an assumption. Will be interesting to see.

21. bward

bward Senior Member

Exactly.

I know things can change quickly, but Mc3 could be his last traditional solo album for a long time, maybe ever.

We’ll see.

Ringo Hendrix and joy stinson like this.
  22. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I don't think it will be his last traditional solo album.
    He's conditioned himself too much to think and work that way.
    High in the Clouds and It's a Wonderful Life are easy to identify because they are long gestating projects with approaching completion dates.
    But he's said he wants to revisit past jam sessions and unfinished songs, and there's always new songs coming to him.
    The breaks between have been getting longer, but now that we're back to 50 minute LPs and less single B-sides, I think we may get a more frequent set of releases.
    It's just who Paul is.

23. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Paul has said "All of McCartney III is like a bonus track," which could be him saying III wasn't an album he expected to make and he views it now as a victory lap of sorts. Debut LP is McCartney. Final LP is McCartney III? "Comprehensive" The Lyrics book compiled and released less than a year after III. Does Paul release The Lyrics this year if he has definite plans to make a new album in 2022? Paul bristles when asked by Homme if he's working on a new album (in reference to the Watt session), and stresses its just one track. Paul will be 80 next year. It's entirely possible he views III has his final long-player, and from here on out he'll finalize High in the Clouds and It's a Wonderful Life, significant undertakings in and of themselves, then do whatever he wants (a single here, a collaboration there, write a song for so-and-so, a remix of an old track here, a small EP there, another "Imagined" release of a different album, etc.) and puts tracks out quickly as they are finished, rather than waiting 6 or 8 or 10 months for the traditional album cycle--no time for that in his 80s.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I bought this in 1977:
    [​IMG]
    Within a year, it was no longer "Complete".

The Lyrics: 1956 To The Present will not be complete after 2021.. It's just how these things work [a snapshot in time]...

I predict Paul will continue to live out the "never stop doing what you love" mantra. After all, what's he gonna do after he retires? Sit around and play new songs for the grandchillers?

25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

After McCartney was released Paul and The Beatles were no more, big change.
    After McCartney II was released Paul disbanded Wings another major change.
    Now we have McCartney III. Intended or not the next big change may be no more big world tours and a change in recording like @EmceeEscher said in a couple posts above.
    It's a different world now, I have no need or want to travel somewhere I don't know what the conditions are.
    And it's not the first time Paul adjusted to this ever changing world that we live in, so live and,.....
    ...let it be