Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

What did I miss? Why is it being released December 18 now

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  2. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Do the different period Macca vocals make this seem a bit disjointed or does it work well as a cohesive recording in spite of this?

4. Calico Spies Like Us

Calico Spies Like Us Active Member

First impressions (with heaves of thanks to Dr Pepper):

Long Tailed Winter Bird – I really like hearing the playing of that guitar: fingers moving cross frets, etc. Some might say it’s sloppy, but it’s part of the homespun aesthetic of a “McCartney” album. I like the way that the first song on the album isn’t too heavy on the vocals; it eases you in nicely.

Find My Way – the most ‘Egypt Station-y’ sounding track on the album. More detailed production and separate sections, etc. Paul’s certainly doing what he can with what’s left of his voice. In some ways it sounds like less of a McCartney album when the voice isn’t front and centre, but in others it’s quite in keeping with the spirit of “McCartney II’, which is full of vocal effects and uncharacteristic voices.

Pretty Boys – Pretty Tune. Paul’s age is very apparent on this one, but not in a bad way. He sounds like the Paul equivalent of Johnny Cash singing ‘Hurt’. A firm favourite already.

Woman and Wives – not sure how much I like this on first listen. Paul sounds like he’s just had dental work and is singing with a numb, swollen cheek. Nice, lo-fi instrumentation, though.

Lavatory Lil – not what I was expecting. More of a traditional ‘rocker’ than I’d expected from the title and other people’s talkback. I suppose I was expecting something that might have slotted more easily into Abbey Road’s ‘long one’ (i.e. a whimsical tune like ‘Her Majesty’), where this more 21st century Paul. ‘Caesar Rock’-style call and response is a nice touch, especially when you think of Paul doing all the backup voices himself.

Slidin – didn’t warm to this on the first listen, but many of my favourite Paul songs grew on me, so there’s hope for this track. Sounds a little like lots of ideas thrown at the wall of the song to see what sticks, but they’re all Slidin down on to the floor.

Deep Deep Feeling – terrific song! VERY distinctive Paul drums/congas on this – faintly reminiscent of ‘Kreen-Akrore’, at least in funky, experimental vibe. Went straight back and listened to it again – twice. A good example of how Paul’s at his best when he lets himself get weird (‘Mr Bellamy’, ‘Secret Friend’, etc.). An epic track that’s superior to more self-consciously epic tracks (‘House of Wax’, ‘Despite Repeated Warnings’). Hypnotic and exploratory. Really love it. Bring on the 15-minute-long bonus track version.

The Kiss of Venus – lovely, playful tune. 51 years ago, Paul could have sung it without going into falsetto, but it works fine in 2020. It’s nice to hear Paul writing more … searching and intricate guitar-based songs than on some recent albums, where he’s too often just strumming open chords.

Seize the Day – in keeping with ‘Do it Now’ and other of Paul’s songs that advocate capitalizing on the energy of the moment. I quite like the Wings-ish guitar licks circling around the bars of this one.

Deep Down – I like the uncertainty of this one – more minor than major. It reminds me of the tone of ‘I Don’t Know’, though it’s a very different song in some ways. One of a few songs on the album that seem built around a repeated riff or refrain, but this works better than others; the organ has an insistent quality that isn’t too invasive.

Winter Bird/When Winter Comes – could have closed ‘Flaming Pie’, but then that album had a great closer already in ‘Great Day’. I don’t quite see the link between Winter Bird and the main song here, except that they’re both played on acoustic guitar. I suppose it’s another one of Paul’s ‘link’ tracks that are fine in the context of the album.

5. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Not really, no, They don’t really span too far. The only one where it’s particularly noticeable is the last track, When Winter Comes. Some more recently recorded vocals (like Seize The Day) could almost pass for Memory Almost Full vocals. So he just uses a bunch of different voices. I think almost all of the tracks were fairly recent or even the last year.

Might I suggest to those who’ve heard it to do a guessing game as to when each vocal was from?

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

No, you may not!:yikes::evil:

Bemagnus and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  7. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

:cussing: No one asked you, Pepper!!!:p

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

You said, "might I," that's asking and verily I say unto thee no you might not!

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think we should do a drinking game instead. Everytime we listen to Kiss of Venus we have to drink one Scotch
    Everytime we listen to Woman and Wife’s we have to drink one Bourbon
    Everytime we listen to Deep, Deep Feeling we have to drink one Beer
    :):):)
    and on and on.......

10. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Funny thing about the track is, it isn’t political at all!

11. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

and every time we listen to Bip Bop we take a shot of bleach

12. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

The first rule of Bip Bop is: You do not talk about Bip Bop.
    The second rule of Bip Bop is: You do not talk about Bip Bop.
    Third rule of Bip Bop: Someone yells "Bip!", goes limp, taps out, the Bop is over.
    Fourth rule: Only two guys to a Bip Bop.
    Fifth rule: One Bip Bop at a time, fellas.
    Sixth rule: No shirts, no shoes.
    Seventh rule: Bip Bops will go on as long as they have to.
    And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Bip Bop, you have to Bip. Then Bop!

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Paulwalrus and Bemagnus like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Now I gave in and ordered the japanese cd with 4 bonus-tracks. I prefer to have one instead of 4
    versions and very much enjoy japanese SHM cd-s. So one version for me

omikron and vinylbeat like this.
  14. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

I like Bip Bop and I really like Wild Life.
    Paul himself bagged Bip Bop but I notice he included it on Pure and he whacked it on his recent Spotify list.
    I would be happy if Macca 3 has a Bip Bop sort of tune.

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Unfortunately nothing on McCartneyIII reach the sublime heights of Bip Bop

16. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

Ah so I'm not the only one to find that vocal very strange then, I was thinking "marbles in mouth" but dental work sounds similar ;-) Maybe he was going for the "Elvis/Lady Madonna" effect but it doesn't quite work out.

17. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Whatever it is, I think it works marvelously and fits the tone and resonance of the song. In fact, "Women and Wives" has become one of my best friend's favorite Paul songs ever. I guess it will not transmit many emotions to some people, but to those of us to whom it does, it's gorgeous.

Alen, Rapol93, brettb33 and 4 others like this.
  18. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

It’s the “old bluesmen” quality, slightly out of tune, kind of “drunken”. Paul said he was inspired by Lead Belly.
    And works perfectly IMHO.

Alen, Rapol93, Rocco and 11 others like this.
  19. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Have you thought about attending an AA meeting at all?☺️

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

21. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Not a fan of Paul's vocal on this one. I think he gets away with it on other tracks, but not on Women and Wives in my opinion.

22. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

With the album leaked online and all the reviews here and elsewhere. Will there be any surprises left when the album is released on the 18th?

Hey.....maybe Jack White will cancel the amount of the TMR yellow vinyl pressings based on completed eBay sales, just to stick it to the flippers.......lol! Rockdown!!

23. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

My review having lived with the album for a week.
    (I warn you, it is NOT a glowing review.)

Long Tailed Winter Bird - really cool album intro, though I do agree with others that it goes on a couple minutes too long. The last couple minutes are redundant.

Find My Way - honestly, I’m not a fan. Lyrically nothing special. The voice is pretty bad. And instrumentally, it’s like a filler track on a mid-tier Beck album.

Pretty Boys - The vocals just flat out ruin it for me. I can’t get past it. Really, I tried.

Women And Wives - Others have been raving about this track. I simply don’t hear it.

Lavatory Lil - Sorry to be a downer, but another track that does nothing for me.

Slidin’ - And my negativity continues... I know, I know, I’m a bad person, because I don’t like it.

Deep Deep Feeling - Okay, now THIS is good! Really good! In a way, it sounds very much like something Fiona Apple might put out, which wouldn’t be very Macca. But somehow, it just WORKS!

The Kiss Of Venus - I really like this one too! (See, I’m not such a bad guy!)

Sieze The Day - not great, not horrific. Just ok.

Deep Down - instrumentally, not too bad (except for the cheesy horn synths... (Wix rubbed off, I guess!) But lyrically, this is trash. I mean really, really awful. Makes the lyrics of “Fuh You” seem like “Eleanor Rigby” by comparison. (And the real shame is, the quality of his voice sounds stronger here than on some other tracks, but are completely wasted by the inane lyrics.)

Winter Bird/ When Winter Comes - I don’t get it. Just seems like a random add-on. (which it is).

So in summary, I like 3 songs (Long Tailed Winter Bird, Deep Deep Feeling, and The Kiss of Venus), and I’ll probably never listen to the rest of the album again. It is what it is.

Cledwyn, gibtti, The Band and 4 others like this.
  24. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Okay interview. Paul just wants to talk about Lennon and Let It Be, even though the interviewer is asking him about the 70s and 80s.
    Some backstory to "Pretty Boys", at least.
    Plus... BIP BOP!

Something that has been a constant for you musically is your ability to keep coming up with melodies. It’s there on the new album — the melodies all flow. Is your facility for writing a catchy melody ever an obstacle to getting the songs to be more than just catchy? Because a good tune by itself is not always enough to make a good song. “Bip Bop” (A nonsensical ditty from “Wildlife,” McCartney’s 1971 album with Wings, that keeps getting stuck in my head) would be an example of that. Do you know what I’m saying? No, I know. “Bip Bop” is not lyrically stunning. I was always embarrassed about that song. Literally, it goes, “Bip Bop / take your bottom dollar.” It’s inconsequential. But I mentioned that to a friend, a producer, a few years ago, and he said, “That’s my favorite song of yours.” So you don’t know what people like. It’s enough if I like it and enjoyed putting it on record and don’t particularly want to think of any more lyrics. I don’t want to sweat it. Sometimes maybe it would be better if I sweated it. Once or twice I tried to sweat it, and I hated it. It’s like, What are you doing this for?

Tord, Yorick, Bill813 and 3 others like this.
  25. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Wholeheartedly agree on most of your comments except I do like Find My Way and Slidin and I think that Sieze the day is good aswell. Disagree with your view of Kiss of Venus, but it is a good song other than the painful vocals.

Other than that, I'm in total agreement.

4 good, but not outstanding tracks. The others are either mundane or unlistenable I'm afraid.