Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Pates

Pates Well-Known Member

I’d add to this his contribution to the Ian Drury tribute, I’m Partial To Your Abracadabra, fantastic version/vocal; A Room With A View from the Noel Coward tribute; and his guest vocal on the Nitin Sawhney track My Soul, which came out around Electric Arguments time period. Three COMPLETELY different sounding tracks, all great stuff.

2. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Speaking of guest appearances. I'm currently on to the Oobu Joobu era and mid 90s and right now its Hiroshima Sky by Yoko and Paul... not a fav of mine.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Funny. I always heard people say how "beatlesque" this song was , but imo it sounds totally 80s pop. It wasn't until I heard the demo that I relised the Beatle vibe.

But the album version still sounds purely 80s pop to me.

4. He must have been really pissed off at you! LOL. ;););)

Sargon and Geordiepete like this.
  5. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

More reason not to be analysing how good her albums are then.

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

A beautiful song with an absolutely beautiful vocal. This is one of the songs I use whenever I want to promote his recent solo material.

7. fer2

fer2 Forum Resident

Oh Yes.
    The problem is how do I post a picture here, I could only with links but, yes, I'll try again, no problem.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The following is just my opinion and I'm not looking to be attacked by any of you McCartney fanatics, so if you are one of those "everything that Paul releases is golden" types, you'd be best to stop reading right now or you WILL be disappointed in what I'm about to write.

Huge Beatles fan here (please note my avatar to the left <<<). I have enjoyed most all of Paul's solo albums through the years since the first one, with huge exception to "McCartney II", "Driving Rain" and "Press To Play". I just heard the new album and while I was never expecting anything remotely close to "Band On The Run", "Red Rose Speedway" or even another messy "McCartney II", I have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed to be honest. This album is so bland lyrically and without much melody, that I'm having a real hard time believing that Paul actually wrote it. For those of you who love "McCartney II", I wouldn't get your hopes up too high because there is no "Temporary Secretary" or "Check My Machine" here and for those of you who love "Waterfalls" (which I will admit is the one track that I actually loved on "II"), there isn't anything even that worthy here. Happy that Paul is still doing his thing and I'm sure that many of you will love it, but it just didn't send me anywhere.

Here is a quick breakdown of each track (in the random order that I heard them) ...

"Lavatory Lil" (a blues/rockish tune with strange "sing-along" stabs by Paul. This song could have been a lot better)

"Long Tailed Winter Bird" (Another bluesy tune with never ending repeating guitar riffs and a lyric that is something silly like "Do you do, do, do, do")

"Deep Down" (Organ and constant repeating drum beat with lyrics like "Wanna get deep down and party every night")

"Find My Way" (Uptempo song that is catchy, until he goes McCartney falsetto)

"Deep Deep Feeling" (Mid tempo track that honestly sounds to me like he is using chords from "Egypt Station"(s) "I Don't Know")

"Pretty Boys". (Acoustic guitar thing that builds slowly but sadly doesn't go anywhere)

"Seize The Day" (I really don't know what to make of this song? The lyrics are just so bland ..., "When the cold days come and the old ways fade away")

"Slidin'" (Now this sounds like something that might have fit on "McCartney II". Mid tempo rocking tune, but again the lyrics fall flat ... "I'm slidin' right into the air, I can see my body through the windows in my head")

"Kiss Of Venus" (Slow acoustic guitar and more of Paul in falsetto ..., cue the Charlie Brown "UGH")

"Winter Bird"/"When Winter Comes" ("Bird" is just a short little reprise of the earlier "Long Island Winter Bird", while "When Winter Comes" is another acoustic guitar song with more weak lyrics ..., "When winter comes and food is scarce, we'll want our toes to stay indoors". I swear that I'm NOT making these lyrics up!)

and finally

""Woman And Wives" (Slow to mid-tempo song with heavy piano and drums. For those of you who have issues with Paul's aging voice, you'll probably have a hard time with this one?

Again this is just my own opinion of the new album after only one listen, so my opinion could change upon further listens and as I said, I'm sure that many of you will end up loving this album and that's great, if you do!

jammincrowe, Cledwyn and Resroc62 like this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I like the official Dice cover but I must admit that I much prefer that, it’s a nice continuation and a great photo from Mary.

10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

[​IMG]

mrjinks likes this.
  11. Paul Levinson

Paul Levinson Forum Resident

Yeah, that same wistful place as Things We Said Today (one of my favorite Beatles songs from the moment I first heard it, and still that way today).

Tord and The Band like this.
  12. Paul Levinson

The official release does sound a lot more 80s than the demo. But, interestingly, when I heard "My Brave Face" for the first time in 1989, the first thing I thought, with joy, was, the Beatles are back! In a way, in my head, it's a part of a set with "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love".

Tord, The Band, theMess and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul Levinson

I haven't heard the album yet, but I'll just make one point: as someone who has written a lot of lyrics, I really like the couplet "cold days" and "old ways" (in Seize the Day) -- those kinds of double-rhyming phrases are hard to come by.

14. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I think I'm over 50 hours deep here. Just finishing off Flaming Pie. :p.

(I'm including live albums, McGear, Holly Days, Wide Prairie, Thrillington and Fireman stuff as well as all unreleased songs that can be found on youtube, B-Sides, pretty much anything released since 1970 except for the classical.)

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I did a run like this in 2016-17 (with a few breaks along the way...) It's funny how it would take me so much longer to do now since there have been multiple archive editions, a new album, etc since then.

omikron and theMess like this.
  16. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

This is my third time in a year. I think previously it took about 6 days. But I had two days in there where I could only do 6 hours of the day or something.

theMess likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

:yikes:

theMess, Elliottmarx and Paulwalrus like this.
  18. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

19. tug_of_war

Nice cover! :righton:

20. tug_of_war

I love "Trans" and imo it's every bit as good as "Harvest".

:hide:

21. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Note: I only used the songs Paul sings on McGear, but typically I'll sub in the entire album with bonus tracks. Holly Days and Rupert are one file each on there, so its likey closer to about 870 songs?

Again its a great playlist to throw on and not think about for awhile or if you are listening at work.

joshbrf likes this.
  22. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Finally pulled the trigger on a vinyl pressing. Got the orange because it's 130 gram, like the old days.

23. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Added the rest of McGear.

24. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Its officially McCartney III week. Very excited to hear it all

25. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Wow! Is that a CD from one of those merchandise boxsets? I'm guessing it is since it has outtakes listed. Thats awesome!

tug_of_war likes this.