Paul McCartney releases surprising new single 'Get Enough'...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydynamite, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

So I'm trying to figure out what the PURPOSE of the Get Enough single was. It was released on New Years Eve/Day; it seems to have caused a minor bit of commotion on this Forum here (but almost nowhere else); there was NO other announcement regarding any Egypt Station luxury set, and there was no tie-in of the Get Enough single with any forthcoming deluxe set; and now a month later barely anyone outside of this Forum has even heard this song.

So why was the song released in the way it was done? Was/Is there some underlying plan? Did Ryan Tedder's contract say that Paul had to release all 3 of the songs that they collaborated on? Did they expect the song to go viral? But since it didn't, they held back on any announcement of the Egypt Station box for some more-opportune future date.

Any thoughts?

omikron, Shak Cohen and DrBeatle like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Perhaps he thought it was a cool song to release
    digitally.
    Not s very big deal really

:)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I agree. I figure he was just throwing something out there, no big plan. If it was supposed to tie in with any announcement he would have already made it.

With the video of him singing along and a Facebook post a couple of days ago that said something along the lines of “listen to the complete McCartney playlist, we can’t “get enough!”” So I don’t think they had any big ideas for the song, just something for the new year.

I like Get Enough, it’s a pretty good little song. It’s a decent single that wouldn’t be good for Egypt Station. I wouldn’t even rank it highly amongst the other Egypt Station songs, but I would rank it higher than say Confidante and Back In Brazil.

Who Cares likes this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This forum has been tearing into any artist who uses autotune for years, but now that McCartney uses it were supped to scratch our chins and marvel at the uniqueness of it all.
    Your review above of this dirge of a single is so spectacularly fanboyish it actually deserves to be read by a wider audience.
    Paul has released a terrible single, hardly unusual for an artist who has probably released over a hundred of them. Every artist with a long recording career releases a dud, they used to be called flops.
    Don't feel that you have to defend his every single release, just accept that even great artists can occasionally release crap..

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    delmonaco, Frank, Spencer R and 2 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

If Paul started to release say 1 digital song per month at random, then I'd say that would be an interesting idea/plan. But if "Get Enough" is just a one-off digital release, which has no other context for release, then I am still a bit baffled. USUALLY Paul does have a purpose in how he does things.

6. paulmccartneyistheman

I think it will be included in the upcoming deluxe set, but it was
    just posted for the fun of it, for New Years. No big deal.

foxylady and JDeanB like this.
  7. paulmccartneyistheman

But it’s his opinion, no need to be a jerk. People like you always amaze me, just because you don’t agree it’s his problem.

8. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Great pick that is exactly what I heard too...that old school flaming lips sound when they made a masterpiece.

9. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I've come full-circle to enjoying the song. Still in the weakest fifty he's ever released, but I enjoy it.

10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I just listened to it again for the first time since it dropped...and it's still horrifically bad. I don't know what he was thinking with this one. I mean, did he actually think it sounded good? The song itself is fine, but the production (and performance, truthfully) is just...:hurl::hurlleft:

Frank and bob60 like this.
  11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Or, you and the other mind police are wrong.

For one thing - Paul has not used auto-tune before, and his use of it is quite different from the norm. And, it’s not used as a crutch - there’s a clean vocal sitting right alongside it. Also, it’s used very sparingly, on only a couple of lines. It was a production choice. Lumping him in with everyone who has abused auto-tune is nothing more than mindless box-checking.

Secondly, it’s not a dirge. I don’t think you know what a dirge is.

Thirdly, there is no indication that this was released in hopes of being a chart hit. Virtually zero promotion, no physical copies, no video. It’s really three songs medleyed together, not the kind of thing radio programmers will latch onto, but perfect for anyone who delighted in the kaleidoscopic swirl of Egypt Station.

It’s a hardening back to a time when folks put out weird, cool things just for the coolness of it.

So, basically, the conventionality of your view is your undoing, I dispute every lazy, non-insightful assumption you have made.

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If Paul releases a polka single, are we supposed to applaud that because he’s never done that before?

13. davenav

Whooosh! Point missed.

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My point is that Paul using autotune for the first time, in a not very original way, after decades of others exploiting the same device, isn’t a validation of a Paul. If I record a rock song with a sitar tomorrow, am I as ground-breaking as George Harrison?

DrBeatle and Frank like this.
  15. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Perhaps he realized just how polarizing this one track would be, and wanted to dilute the negative comments so that when it appears on the Luxury edition the package is not weighed down with angry purists. Other than that, I can't imagine why it was released the way it was.

Arnold Grove and MPLRecords like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

10 out of 10 for trying. You really do need to read back on your last two posts.
    This song is many things, but I think most people would agree that 'epic' 'brilliant' and 'unique' it isn't.
    Calling other people lazy, non-insightful and saying they can jump in a lake just because they don't like this song really just tells us more about you.

DrBeatle and FKA002 like this.
  17. paulmccartneyistheman

I think he meant you could jump in a lake because of how you insult people you disagree with.

18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

My guess is that Paul sometimes releases material that may be highly personal for a loved one or family member regardless of whether the song charts well or not. Icing on the cake if the fans love it or so it seems.

foxylady and davenav like this.
  19. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Well February 1st is just around the corner that could set a new singles release day precedent.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  20. davenav

Another beside-the-point post.

I care little about what “most” people think, and in fact I’ve called into question that kind of conventional wisdom. Go ahead, follow along with a herd mentality.

That you undermine an already weak argument with a hive-mind admonition only reinforces my belief that you, and the others in the same echo chamber, are clueless.

21. Arnold Grove

Oh, I hope .... not:

Spencer R likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

I'm not sure if I want that to happen or not, especially based on "Get Enough"... ;)

Monasmee likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

And just to confuse us (or me at least), "Get Enough" may not even appear on a ES luxury set. :help:

24. davenav

Which would be weird. It really feels like an ES track.

25. Arnold Grove

Yes, the song should be included.

Of course, I still am wondering though who even cares about getting a deluxe Egypt Station. I mean, who else besides the uber fans here would even buy it? And how many copies would they even bother to make (especially if it was ultra-expensive)? 500? 1000?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.