Paul McCartney releases surprising new single 'Get Enough'...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydynamite, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Get what? That the guy is one of the top musical geniuses of the past century?

I get that full well. That doesn't erase the fact that this song sounds like an old man trying to do karoake at his granddaughter's Sweet 16 party.

2. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

It’s a good song :)

3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Not as good as “Hey Jude”

:)

angelees and Horse Brunsby like this.
  4. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

“Get” the autotune or the style of today’s music which isn’t fully well executed here. But tried nonetheless

5. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident Thread Starter

Its no big deal.Just a wee bonus track released.Hardly definative stuff...Enjoy it or don't.
    Indeed I was no fan of his first use of this style on 'feet in the clouds' from memory almost full in 2007.
    But I like the track this time.I don't think he deserves to be judged by a bonus extra song.

angelees, Man at C&A, jricc and 4 others like this.
  6. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

This. You have to keep the song in perspective. I’m glad he shared it. I’ll always welcome new McCartney music and I celebrate his desire to try new things. You may unfortunately see this as grandude singing karaoke at a Sweet 16 party; I choose to look at this as a musician continuing to stretch himself after 60 years in the business.

jricc, bward, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The extent that the McCartney apologists will go around here to support even the worst things never ceases to amaze me. o_O

Cronverc, Chuckee, RubenH and 6 others like this.
  8. lazydynamite

Oh dear.
    Show a wee bit of like to a McCartney deep cut from his 2018 releases and you can be labelled an 'apologist'.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I admire Paul for keeping on making new music long past the point where he has any financial need to do so; however, I find a track such as Confidante from the new album to be a success, not because he “stretched himself” by jumping on a modern production gimmick, but because, in Confidante, he wrote a song with good lyrics and music, as he has done for decades.

gja586, angelees, Yorick and 2 others like this.
  10. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Love Egypt Station. Still playing it a few months later.

But this new single is absolutely horrendous and unlistenable.

11. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It's grown on me.
    But surely the worst song from the Egypt Station sessions released thus far.

SgtPepperman1953, RubenH and kevintee like this.
  12. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I’d rather listen to this than Confidante any day of the week

angelees, Bullis and kevintee like this.
  13. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

"Opening Station" and "Station II" aside, I think "Confidante" and "Hand In Hand" are the weakest tracks on Egypt Station. I enjoy both more than "Get Enough", though...

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  14. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It's his latest single.

mrjinks, Zeki and Frank like this.
  15. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Not this time. This ranks up there with Cook of the House or Big Day as worst McCartney track of all time.

SgtPepperman1953 and Yorick like this.
  16. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I personally think he should've just released the 3 Ryan Tedder tunes as an EP or something, separate from Egypt Station. I think "Fuh You" stands out like a sore thumb on the album, and the bonus track "Nothing For Free" and now "Get Enough" further makes this apparent.

Tord and 905 like this.
  17. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Auto- tune ruins whatever remains of this song. Babe Ruth didn’t hit a homerun every time at bat either. Despite “Get Enough” , Paul’s legacy still remains pretty much intact.

RubenH and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I was a skeptic and bought the slightly longer version of the album from Target and played it to death for weeks. It's a grower and in the end an enjoyable set. I'm glad I bought it despite some sketchy SQ

19. Ratto

Ratto Forum Resident

And you get some clowns on here supposedly forcing 10 copies of the latest album onto people in an attempt to make them like it. Weird....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  20. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

You just mentioned the three worst songs from the album.
    Thankfully the other tracks are way better...

21. lazydynamite

'new single' hardly means what it used to mean.
    Basically just a latest release of new music for the fans.
    The 19th release from this set of 2018 Egypt Station session songs although if you exclude the station tracks its the 17th full song.
    I prefer the other two bonus tracks['nothing for free' and 'get started'] which are both very good but I like this song better than 'People want peace','Back in Brazil' and 'Ceasar Rock'.

kevintee and tug_of_war like this.
  22. butchcooper

butchcooper Forum Resident

He needs to just give it up. He certainly does not need the money. Just can't stand not being in the limelight.

23. Listed 2X more , posted this on the ES appreciation thread a few hours ago, nothing has changed for me.
    ———————-+-+———————————————————————————

Well, it’s not like the first time he’s done something similar.

On the BRIGHT SIDE:

A. Nice romantic lyric.

B. Prime stuff for a movie soundrack, imagine if this was included in a scene from Aquaman! Aquman (Curry)’s dad walking on that dock in Maine, missing Nicole Kidman.

C. Always like some B. Wilson stylings in a Macca song,

On the DARK SIDE:

1. Many criticisms mentioned, I agree with, especially, the abrupt ending.

2 Sounds like a song neither Billy Joel or Brian Wilson could finish - or save.

3. Would be a valid beginning segment - of still ANOTHER SONG-SUITE - just add two stirring, rockier segments.

Happy New Year from Sydney! ( first visit)

tug_of_war likes this.
  24. lazydynamite

Yes the shameless way he has been all over the TV and Radio today in a desperate attempt to appear relevant plugging his latest god awful single has been pathetic.

25. Thewalrus23

Thewalrus23 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I always like his instrumentals. I was very excited for this new track, but was disappointed. Hopefully there will be some better tracks on an expanded Egypt Station.

angelees likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.