Paul McCartney - The 7" Singles [Release date December 2nd 2022]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Max Wilbury, Nov 9, 2022.

1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Might just work.

[​IMG]

2. Anybody want to take a stab at listing the 7” that are missing from the set?

Cool Chemist and Floater like this.
  3. Assuming one didn’t buy the Harrison gnomes ;)

4. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I think I've used the "but just think how much more I could have spent!" card a few too many times already but always worth another try...

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  5. jacden

jacden Senior Member

In terms of commercial UK 7"s, it's a pretty short list.

"Band On The Run" b/w "Zoo Gang" should have been included IMO. The upcoming set includes the US variant with "1985" on side B instead, which means "Zoo Gang" is MIA.

The side-project incognito singles "Walking In The Park With Eloise" b/w "Bridge On The River Suite" by the Country Hams, "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" b/w "Eat At Home" by Percy Thrillington and "Seaside Woman" b/w "B-Side To Seaside" by Suzy & The Red Stripes would have been nice additions as well.

As for other countries...

"Off The Ground" b/w "Cosmically Conscious" was a US cassette/CD single and should have been included in 7" form IMO.

Likewise "Biker Like An Icon" b/w "Biker Like An Icon" [Live Version] was released in a few European markets and would have been a worthwhile inclusion.

Others can fill in if I forgot anything.

6. Was Off the Ground not released as a single in the UK?

I’m thinking that the Another Day mono single and the West German Mary Had A Little Lamb with its unique mix would have been welcome additions/substitutions as well.

jacden likes this.
  7. jacden

jacden Senior Member

No, and neither was "Biker Like An Icon". They were both released in other European countries. The Netherlands and Germany I think. Possibly Japan as well if I remember correctly.

Who Cares and Paul H like this.
  8. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

1. "Another Day" (promo mix) b/w "Oh Woman Oh Why" (promo mix)
    2. "Eat At Home" b/w "Smile Away"
    3. "Bip Bop" b/w "Tomorrow" [Belgium single]
    4. "Jet" b/w "Mamunia"
    5. "Band on the Run" b/w "Zoo Gang"
    6. "Walking in the Park with Eloise" b/w "Bridge Over The River Suite" [credited to The Country Hams]
    7. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" (orchestral version) b/w "Eat At Home" (orchestral version) [from Thrillington]
    8. "Seaside Woman" b/w "B-Side To Seaside" [credited to Suzy & The Red Stripes]
    9. "Rockestra Theme" b/w "Old Siam Sir"
    10. "The Man" b/w "Blackpool" [unreleased single]
    11. "No More Lonely Nights" b/w "No More Lonely Nights (special dance mix)"
    12. "I Saw Her Standing There" b/w "Long Tall Sally" [special single with LP editions of The Prince's Trust]
    13. "Ferry 'Cross The Mersey" b/w "Abide With Me" [charity single]
    14. "We Got Married" b/w "Distractions" [cancelled single]
    15. "Off The Ground" b/w "Cosmically Conscious"
    16. "Biker Like An Icon" b/w "Things We Said Today (unplugged)"
    17. "A Leaf" [credited to Anya Alexeyev on piano, this would be the first 7" pressing of a CD single]
    18. "Ballad Of The Skeletons" [with Alan Ginsberg]
    19. "No Other Baby" b/w "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" and "Fabulous" [mono pressing instead of stereo]
    20. "Run Devil Run" [promo 7"]
    21. "Vo!ce" [with Heather Mills]
    22. "Freedom" b/w "From A Lover To A Friend"
    23. "Your Loving Flame" b/w "Lonely Road"
    24. "This Never Happened Before" [promo CD single - would be first time on vinyl]
    25. "Say Say Say" (reverse vocal) b/w "Say Say Say" (radio edit of instrumental) [RSD release]
    26. "Only One" [with Kanye]
    27. "FourFiveSeconds" [with Kanye & Rihanna]
    28. "All Day" [with Kanye]
    29. "1985 (remix)" [promo single]
    30. "Back In Brazil" [promo single]
    31. "Get Enough"
    32. "Kiss Of Venus" [McCartney III version b/w III Imagined version] (RSD release, I believe)
    That's my best guess – though there's some like "Maybe Baby," "Whole Life" and "The Girl Is Mine" that could be sandwiched in as well.

9. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

I would have loved these collaboration singles to be in this set:
    - "FourFiveSeconds" with Kanye and Rihanna
    - "Heal The Pain" with George Michael
    - "Cut Me Some Slack" with Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic
    - "Out Of Sight" with The Bloody Beetroots and Youth

EDIT:
    Not to forget this one: Paul McCartney - The Family Way

10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

32 you’re thinking of Women and Wives, not the Kiss of Venus. Women and Wives is included in this set

theMess and supermd like this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Another easy pass:cheers:

Boom Operator likes this.
  12. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Another obligation buy... ;-)

apple-richard and jacden like this.
  13. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I'm wondering... is an "easy pass" the same as a "hard pass". Or are they opposites? It sort of sounds like they are.

Troyh, paustin0816 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. Fantastic!

I wasn’t sure if any of the modern Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five remixes are included—I guess not—and I probably should have looked at the tracklist in any event.

15. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

Why is Only One or 45 seconds credited to McCartney? He has such a small part in each, didn’t write the lyrics and doesn’t sing. Makes no sense to call them McCartney songs IMO.

RAJ717 and jacden like this.
  16. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

He played "FourFiveSeconds" in concert, so some might see it as a McCartney song.

17. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Quite what he was thinking getting involved in this garbage is anyone's guess. Trying to appear hip perhaps ?

WilliamWes, Ludger, RAJ717 and 3 others like this.
  18. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I think it has more to do with his inborn curiosity, which has always been his driving force. He likes to challenge himself and find new frontiers for himself. Collaborating, especially with younger artists, is a good way of doing that. That his core fan base doesn't always approve of it probably doesn't worry him at this point. Nor should it.

Eska68, Drewzel, theMess and 11 others like this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

This (largely forgotten) one was a UK cd-promo. Unique edit, too.
    [​IMG]

20. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

My Soul is such a great song, that I always have forgotten

edit: I wish THAT were streaming, couldn’t find that on Spotify

21. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Perhaps they should release another 80 disc box next year with all his collaboration singles. It would be an eclectic set for sure.

EDIT: Just realized it should probably be 81 discs if it's released next year.

EDIT2: It would probably cost 4 times what his own singles box cost due to all the licensing involved.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  22. mrjinks

It’s funny, he never really used to do the “various artist”/collaboration thing much, and then when this century rolled in, they were suddenly everywhere. Nitin Sawnhey, George Michael, Benson/Jarreau, Brian Wilson, Klaus V, Noel Coward, Ian Dury, In-Laws, Vanilla Sky, Sun Records, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Tony Bennett, Steve Martin, Kanye, Ethyl & Ernest, Sirvana…. Crazy how many collabs/one-offs there have been in the last 20 years of his solo career after so few in the first 30 years.

Paul H and jacden like this.
  23. mrjinks

Looping back to the E&I single, I always found it sort of curious that - unlike the Michael Jackson single collaborations - E&I’s single is credited to “Paul McCartney (additional vocals by Stevie Wonder)” rather than just credited to the two of them. Anyone know why?
    It even appears on at least a couple major Stevie Wonder compilations. Odd to me that his “credit” was relatively minor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

anthontherun likes this.
  24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Write Away - Paul McCartney

Credits:

Write Away
    Writers: Paul McCartney and Eric Stewart
    Artist: Paul McCartney
    Producer: Paul McCartney and Hugh Padgham
    Released: 27 October 1986

Originally released on 12" as the B-side to 'Pretty Little Head (Remix)', 'Write Away' will now be available to stream for the first time as part of the #7inchSinglesBox on 2 December: https://pmc.lnk.to/7inSinglesDigital

25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I don't know for sure, but Motown may have been less than thrilled to have Stevie's Original Musiquarium and its associated singles competing with a blockbuster duet on another label.

Paul and Michael, meanwhile, were both on CBS-affiliated labels in the US at the time.

mrjinks, jmxw, theMess and 5 others like this.