Paul McCartney - The Official "Memory Almost Full" Album Thread (part 5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verano

Verano New Member

Are you sure you would hear the difference if the album was not compressed? But the most importanta question: Why is it so compressed if that's a bad thing?

2. Verano

Verano New Member

That's what I call a career suicide, and he's been doing it since the late 80s. Surprisingly enough, he seems to be motivated to make new albums, and he definitely has put a lot of effort into Memory Almost Full!!

But I wish he'd played more new songs on his concerts, and of course more (rare) Wings- and solostuff.

3. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I think Mr. Bellamy ranks with the best McCartney has done so far. Really an adventurous song. I like the album. The only song I do not like is Gratitude, although it has a cool bridge. His singing is excellent, but you notice, that the guy is an old man. Nothing bad about it, but ìt is distracting at times. Im S#surorised of the overall quality of the lyrics.

4. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

On my fourth listen. LOVING IT!!!
    My favorite- Gratitude. Incredible. It's classic McCartney of the highest order.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Verano, it's a mystery to most of us that enjoy good sound. Basically it's compressed because of the whole "louder is better" mindset that has entered the music industry. They think it'll grab your attention more if it's bitchin' loud. They don't realize how tiring it is on your ears and brain.

Yes, you'd notice a difference. One problem with this album is it might have been recorded crappily to begin with.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I do, I do :goodie:

8. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I thought all of us here did ;) I even have the 1500 some odd songs ripped to .flac, stored on an external so I have access to everything and can grab it and run in case of a fire :D

9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Well, you have given it a good try, but you don't quite qualify as a "true fan", now by my definition you qualify three times over!

That makes three "true fans."

Not on my Ultimate MAF it's not. Try it you'll like it, as Bugs Bunny used to say.

Oh, it fits baby, it fits!

It sold between 172,000 and 180,000 on it's first day without the 20,000 at Starbucks figured in! That makes it pushing 200,000 on it's first day!
    Yes, and this much compression is a bad thing. I would give a lot to hear an uncompressed Only Mama Knows!

Seems to be doing pretty well for being suicidal since 1980. Aren't suicidal and Paul McCartney mutually exclusive terms anyway!

Hey, who you calling a newer guy, when you look at the number of your posts versus mine, the first digit is a 2 in both cases, that makes us even doesn't it?

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wayyyyy more than a dozen. I've got it all. :)

11. Dr. Pepper

That's four...

...and five, but we need a new category for you, maybe "true blue fan" or "crazy a$$ motherf%$#@$! I think "true blue fan" has a nicer ring to it.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm missing some stuff. A bunch of 90's b-sides, and bootleg things. Other than that, I own the cannon. Even the live ones. "Thrillington", The Fireman, the orchestral ones, etc.

13. Dr. Pepper

6. We are halfway there.

14. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I think we all figured you were a hardcore fan as well since you forum name is named after the 5 second piano demo Paul did in 12/73. Guess not? Just a fan of the drink then ;)

15. Dr. Pepper

Sorry not a "true fan!" Go back to start do not collect $200!:wave:

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Nope, Doc, the high number you're quoting is the projected sales figures for the week, based on the first day sales...

17. Dr. Pepper

I am not a drunk!:wave: :shh:

18. Dr. Pepper

Oh crap, well that just sucks...hold on a minute while I shoot one of my sources!

19. Dr. Pepper

Let's get this all straight, I have all of Paul's solo work, most of his b-sides, and classical works - ecce rocks! I do not have any Fireman, but I do have all of the Police!:righton: I have also passed on Trillington. What does that make me? (bends over to take punishment):eek:

P.S. Dr. Pepper comes from the original name of the Sgt. Pepper album, before the Fabs thought they might get sued by the soda company, which I do like to drink - diet only these days!

20. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Do your ears a favor and pick up Rushes. One of Paul's best. The only 90's release that sits in my top [insert # here].

21. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Dr. Pepper are you bored?

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think Paul has done some questionable things in his career, but "career suicide" seems way too strong of a description. What Michael Richards did in that club is career suicide. Paul hasn't done anything of that order at all.

23. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I still say that Paul McCartney needs to seriously change up his setlist. I understand that he may not do it, but my point is that he should.

It will really be a shame that at the end of the end this man never really gave his post Beatles material a concentrated live performance! I think that would be a huge hole in his career. It would be one of those very sad woulda, shoulda, coulda moments. It just doesn't have to be that way, someone, anyone should seriously have a conversation with McCartney and bring this possiblity to his attention! He can do something about it!

Also I just don't agree that songs like...
    The Mess
    Big Barn Bed
    Smile Away
    Getting Closer
    I've Had Enough
    Angry
    Juniors Farm - which was a #3 hit by the way.
    Girlschool
    Take It Away
    So Glad To See You Here
    Cafe On The Left Bank
    Promise To You Girl
    One Of These Days
    Somebody Who Cares

wouldn't get a great crowd response, in fact I bet the crowds jaws would be dropping at all these great songs!

There's just no justification and absolutely no excuse for McCartney to continue to show up with basically the same show tour after tour!!

24. Dr. Pepper

No, not really, but thanks for asking! Who could ever be bored on this crazy thread!!:righton: :p :wave: :shake: :D :winkgrin: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :cool: :laugh: :agree:

Your life is the thread, the thread is your life! Say it three times fast!

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes maccafan .Their jaws would be dropping that they paid $250.00 to hear songs they are unfamiliar with.:) You and I are familiar with these songs but not "Joe First Timer ".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.