Paul McCartney: What are the best deepest (rarest) cuts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Somerset Scholar, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I totally love this song and video just as they were done... has a very cool beat and guitar...great hippie, chilled, laid back lyrics complete with la las, tsks, hand clappings.....This song is so cool that it’s practically freezing....IMO. I’m so glad I saw that great tour and his voice was much better than on the flowers tour. The video is great with the dude flying and coming back down at the end in his arm chair later ...and a different armchair on the cover of MAF.

I love off the ground album and all if it’s associated ground deluxe and other of that era recorded songs...extraordinary hippie style stuff. OTG a was Macca’s and Linda’s last stoner style album IMO ...before that, past stoner albums were LT, rrsw, wild life and ram....he had great daze then, Lol.

The song...isn’t close to being a classic...to this gal it ...is ..and was always....a classic from a sadly overlooked, underrated album released in the era of the grunge intense, loud angst music fad. The fly around...has...to stay cuz the dude was ...baked, lol. You all probably know by now from other posts that...I’m not right, lol, but...I’m right about off the ground song and video.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Carlox, Sean and 905 like this.
  2. 905

905 Senior Member

Lot of people missed out on Broad Street, but I dig this song.
    And, Linda :pleased:

Hep Alien, Sean, stevef and 3 others like this.
  3. joy stinson

I love these new songs in BS....sadly underrated and overlooked. Man, what a doll he was in that movie..sorry, WOMENSZ. Ringo was likewise extremely cool in the movie...Old lady boomer here would give you many likes if possible for reminding her of this great song with great guitar on it and for...her eye candy for the night...lol. A youtube commenter on the movie said the teen girls in the movie theater in England I think when he saw it kept screaming when Macca was on screen in BS and the projectionist finally stopped the movie and told them he’d quit showing it if they didn’t stop. Thus, the movie didn’t bomb with everyone, lol.

I have the dinosaur vhs tape of BS but sadly my vhs player is long gone as is hubby’s and the movie didn’t bomb with me for sure. Twenty years later, still making teen girls scream....and almost forty years later making me write things I should be embarrassed about but too old to be, lol. I’m old now and he’s older..so what? Yeah, Linda is great in this. Someone on another thread suggested this song is probably obviously about his Japan bust....and the lyrics sound like it...Nevertheless, he was an unrepentant stoner until around 2015 or so and put a target on his back to be busted by being an open member of NORML.

Carlox, Sean, urasam2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Same Love

joy stinson likes this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Sing the Changes, Sun is Shining and Dance Till We’re High are gorgeous songs hidden on Electric Arguments

7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Not rare at all but one of the most deep cuts could be Loup (1st Indian On The Moon).

warewolf95 and joy stinson like this.
  8. joy stinson

Great song given to the everly brothers...when did Macca do this demo?

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Some sources say 1972, some say later. I tend to think it was in the 80's done as a guide for the Everlys.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I've always heard mid-80s

Lewisboogie and joy stinson like this.
  11. warewolf95

Sing the Changes doesn't feel super deep to me mainly because he played it for years afterwards.

The other two you mention - ABSOLUTELY! Love both to BITS!!!!!!!

Love Two Magpies as well but Sun Is Shining and Dance Til We're High are tremendous.

I know I've heard a soundcheck recording of them doing Sun Is Shining at some point!

Hep Alien and joy stinson like this.
  12. joy stinson

thanks...thought I’d read that.....lol, though, as paul is dead kooks have thought this was the kooks beloved JPM on the tape before 67....It’s a much later demo and I thought so....

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. joy stinson

Sing the changes....no matter how many times he’s sung it .......will always be super deep to me...a turn of the century anthem, probably is his best anthem song period, Beatles or solo....and don’t let SHF members tell you he never wrote or could write good anthem songs, one of SHF favorite recycled Paul memes, as he’s written several and Sing the Changes is one of them.....

Lewisboogie and warewolf95 like this.
  14. joy stinson

I’ve learned to like Loup in last very few years ....I got rrsw when it came out but always skipped Loup. I now see it as one of his genre experimental songs, , like kreen akore. Upon re listening to all of his singles and albums, I’ve learned to especially love rrsw, even before hearing the double release.....it’s a mainly mellow genre varied gem, a sleeper in my collection for going on 50 years.....

abzach and warewolf95 like this.
  15. warewolf95

I've always considered Hope of Deliverance along the same lines as well, but it never seems to get any love for some reason!

16. warewolf95

No Values and Not Such a Bad Boy are two of his best rockers!

joy stinson, Hep Alien and Carlox like this.
  17. joy stinson

You are exactly right...and though a hit in other countries, it should have been much bigger in the US. Yes, likewise it is an anthem song and especially love the Hispanic flavor to the song....IMO, the whole OTG album is seriously...I’m gonna say it...underrated...Though I love many songs off of flowers, I really love OTG era songs and album and it was his last tour with Linda. As a boomer, I have a special fondness for his carefree Linda years though he’s done some great music since....I absolutely love Hope of Deliverance....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Carlox, Helter Skelter and warewolf95 like this.
  18. joy stinson

No question these two songs are two of his best rockers ...got get back into the seventies, my boomer Macca decade, to find Macca rockers this good ....like Monkberry moon delight, the mess, let me roll it, letting go, Mumbo, songs on my beloved egg album, beware my love, I’ve had enough, Juniors farm, Soily, girls school, one original rocker maybe on RDR, less familiar with as I prefer choba , and a few rockers like rinse the raindrops on driving rain with his great bass, mama laid me down song on MAF, I’ve forgotten so many here...some more blues than rock like I wanna cry and in the way...more blues than rock but songs got way, way down....I wanna cry is noted on this very thread but let me roll it and letting go have also been noted to be slow blues rock....Because folks hated the BS movie, they ignore the new songs. I’m like George, I thought BS was cute and I enjoyed it....He definitely was in the movie, lol, women...

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

I've got a question about Pretty Little Head. I bought the McCartney Years DVD set when I was still unfamiliar with much of Paul's solo catalog. I love the version of Pretty Little Head on the video. I was pretty disappointed that that version isn't on P2P. But then I keep hearing other different versions. The one posted here is another that I haven't heard before. How many freaking versions of this song are there? Is the one from the video available on CD anywhere?

20. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

I think the bass line on this kicks butt! To me, it's every bit as good as the one for Silly Love Songs which gets a lot of love around here. From the people who don't hold their noses at that tune, that is. ;)

Helter Skelter and joy stinson like this.
  21. 80steen

80steen John McClane

No doubt a phenomenal song and it was Linda's favorite. However, wouldn't it cease being a deep cut once it was placed on the highly successful Wingsspan: Hits and History album?

joy stinson likes this.
  22. joy stinson

Excellent bass here....I’m not a musician but the thing about the bass in SLS is that it was up till then considered his most complex bass part, but Macca owned the rickenbacker on that song....don’t know if that’s still true, however, .....I’m also a big fan of his bass in...goodnight tonight and morse goose and the grey goose.

I’ll never hold my nose at Macca’s sarcastic response lyrics in SLS to critics and to Lennon in his perfect disco fusion song, silly love songs, a high point of the wings over America concert I saw way back when and billboard’s song of the year and until mull of kintyre, wings biggest seller. See rock show for all of the then, a reasonably new invention, bic lighters lighting up the arena when wings did SLS during the Denny/Linda Paul middle part. Disco was extremely huge in 76 year of SLS and disco almost took pop and rock over completely in 76....whole radio stations went disco then.

I love your avatar song...Davy was my first concert in 68, my first crush.....he MCed a shower of stars with other artists in my city way back then then.

23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

When McCartney 3 came out Uncut suggested a playlist of Macca “experiments” - hers it is .....

Macca Experiments

24. joy stinson

There are veritable younger than me experts on the press to play era songs and all of the available releases of them I learned from a SHF thread on fans of Macca from 85-95 era....I got completely lost collecting those various maxi singles, didn’t even know about all of the later cd singles from flowers, OTG deluxe cd, the different multi versions of different songs in that era forward and I sadly never caught up, as did well to later get a few more vinyl album releases and two CDs album and to see his 20th century concerts and two 21st century ones.

If you have the dvd of the McCartney years you’re ahead of me, sadly, because I got completely lost and didn’t even know about it as I’m an old vinyl junkie boomer, lol. I wish I had all of that later stuff including the deluxe archives. I bow to the .... knowledgeable chillon compared to me ...on Macca 1986 and later, lol. I’ll see myself out now and return to my dinosaur paper solo Macca mag, book and poster collection as well as my mostly vinyl collection. You may have to look the song up on Wikipedia to get your answer.

25. joy stinson

All killer stuff listed...very impressed the real obscurity plastic beetle was included...something I wish I had.

Lewisboogie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.