Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

One of These Days is my favorite song on the album, because it's most like the McCartney I've always loved, but even here there's a bit of self-sabotage. This is a lovely, heartfelt, simple song, sung and played in a simple, straightforward way. But what's with the exaggerated echo, especially towards the end. It's like he couldn't put an acoustic song on this album without a bit of electronic diddling to make it more like the rest. But I still like the song a lot.

The MEZ likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It's one that would have made a great addition to his live shows during the acoustic section; I'm saddened that he never considered it in the 90's or early 2000's. As a composition it's probably the greatest on the album.

Bruce M., Dr. Pepper and Who Cares like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Next one
    Secret friend
    This track might be Pauls most left-field recording ever. I consider it an ambient masterpiece with a truly hypnotic repeated pattern, trance-like vocals and a series of wild musical features among them some Tropicalia,Cuban rhythms and much more. This music was way before it s time and if one gives it a chance can give great listening experiences
    Not for the faint hearted though
    From Something else
    “SECRET FRIEND,” (McCARTNEY II sessions, 1979): Recorded solo, at home, during the sessions for McCartney II, this 11-minute slice of synthesized tropicalia is both bizarre and intoxicating. McCartney’s experimental material usually gets derided or forgotten, unfairly, but “Secret Friend” is better than anything on the album from which it was hived, and that’s saying something. Its hypnotic groove and midnight-in-Havana melody are singular in the canon. Released in 1981 in the UK, as the b-side to the “Temporary Secretary” 12-inch single; now on the McCartney II Archive Collection bonus disc.

Feel like you've never felt before
    Here we are
    Where are we
    Cast adrift on some uncharted sea
    I know we'll find our way
    I know we'll reach the end
    If you will say you'll be my secret friend
    Night draws in once again
    As she turns her velvet collar up
    A perfect day will end
    Once more
    Night draws in once again
    A perfect day will end
    Once more
    Here we are
    Where are we
    Once more
    I need ya
    I need ya
    I need ya
    I need ya

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  4. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

:agree:
    Secret Friend 5/5

A true masterpiece. The musical approach reminds me a bit of what Radiohead did 31 years later on "The Kings Of Limb" album.

From the Pitchfork review:

5. Bemagnus

Agree both with you and Pitcfork. Secret friend is a piece of music that is absolutely unique

theMess likes this.
  6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Superb track....
    McCartney 2 is by no means perfect, but play select tracks to people especially young folk who might not appreciate Paul and they are blown away, Secret Friend, Blue Sway, Check My Machine, Temp Secretary, Waterfalls are all mini masterpieces.
    This and Red Rose are the best archive releases so far in my opinion.

7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Lunch Box/Odd Sox:
    Probably my favourite of Wings’ instrumental tunes, recorded at the V&M sessions. Why this got passed over earlier in favour of junk like Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reggae is beyond me, but hey...
    It sounds like two tunes spliced together, the second of which having a reggae influence. Great tune! :thumbsup:

Secret Friend:
    This is, like, Front Parlour tripped out.
    Ten minutes of musical freedom, floating in the air for anyone to indulge into. This is great relaxing music!

theMess, Who Cares and Piiijiii like this.
  8. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

McCARTNEY II
    Paul's 2nd solo album has him taking a turn away from Wings and towards the studio. This is like his nerdy studio album and the use of electronics was something he had been dabbling with more often since 1976 so perhaps it was inevitable he'd release more of it. After not particularly enjoying the 1979 tour, Wings were benched and I'm not even sure Linda's on this but she was on his first solo album so it would have been cool to have her somewhere here.

Coming Up (8.5/10)
    Wow talk about a turn around if you heard it live the year before. The first of many songs here that have vocal effects – he had barely used any for years but here he adopts different styles and filters for his voice along with all the synths and percussion. A highly catchy wave of Macca in this electronic pop/rock feast.

Temporary Secretary (7/10)
    Playing the part of the old fashioned sexist like he did with “Women Kind”, Paul has an old fashioned lyric marrying a new fashioned sound and it works in a quirky way – a bit like the way “C Moon” felt awkward and odd texturally but also felt unique in the right way. The cold synths and choppy rhythm match the cold vibe the protagonist gives off talking of secretaries. Both this and “Coming Up” have a touch of humor in them we don’t see to often from Paul. It’s strange it’s taken on a cult. I remember thinking this was ridiculous and the synths were not as good as others I’d heard from the time but I never dreaded it coming on. I like it a bit more now but the sound is better than the song. I remember when Linda played the secretary and photographer in the TV special. “Anita… temporarrrr-y secretarrrr-y”

On The Way (6.5/10)
    Pretty cool handed blues with a ton of reverb that helps it sound richer than the sparse set up it really contains. A lot of this is just bass and drums and a few guitar licks tossed in on the way. The guitar break starts out bold but then blends back into the laid back atmosphere. It still stands as one of the strong points of the song.

Waterfalls (8/10)
    One of 3 fine ballads by McCartney on his 2nd solo album, this one works well because he can once again find a new sound for a soft melodic tune – this has an electric piano sound like “Arrow Through Me” but it’s totally different in texture and vibe. There’s a tentative quality to the music that matches the warning-filled lyric. It’s a lyric as timid as the sweater from the video. LOL

Nobody Knows (6/10)
    This has a pretty strong and stomping rhythm but the song itself is a throwaway. It’s more about fun in the effort and Paul sounds like he’s having fun – I think and hope I hear Linda a bit in the background. She was on the first solo album and it would have been nice to have her on this too.

Front Parlour (6/10)
    This would have been the leadoff track to the double-LP version – perhaps it serves as a good intro but “Coming Up” makes more sense in the long run. As part of the electronic nature of the album, it’s one of the more melodic attempts using the newer technology of the time. It’s got soft texturing and a warm feel along with some nice motion. It’s uneventful and doesn’t really attempt many tricks. The longer version doesn’t add much- better shorter.

Summer Day’s Song (8/10)
    This feels more like a spring day to me amidst an album with a lot of cold, stiff rhythms – it’s not quite hot, more like a lush luke warm air that I sense with this track. I prefer the vocal version despite only a couple of verses being sung – the song works space well and cruises with a calm and elegance. I like this a bit less than the singles.

Frozen Jap (5.5/10)
    The other instrumental of the album, also better shorter on the single LP configuration, this would have been the second of 2 instrumentals to lead off the set – I don’t think it holds attention as well as “Front Parlour”. The main synth figure is nice but not much is added to it – the counter synth passage isn’t as effective and the percussion is stiff. Not a great title considering Beatle history.

Bogey Music (6.5/10)
    A tune that reminds me of some of Wings early quirkiness, this could fit in as a B-side for a ‘Ram’ or ‘Wild Life’ single (though the latter had no singles). A 50’s/60’s dance satire attempt that works better for me than the folk satire “Famous Groupies”, this one’s just for fun and the guitar riff is the best part. It reminds me of ‘Ram’s guitar lines. The deeper voice is a bit Elvis but not quite as much as “Name And Address” was. An interesting entry in his catalog.

Darkroom (7/10)
    Another interesting aura for this strange tune that has Paul beckoning us into a questionable dark room. There’s mischief afoot and the dark tinted sensibility is only too evident. It’s a small corner of the album that builds up tension only to be released by the closing tune that follows. Paul sounds joyous and mad especially as he snickers at the end. One of the weirder and endearing tunes on the album – a grower.

One Of These Days (7.5/10)
    Paul hasn’t done a solo acoustic tune in quite some time so this is a nice experience. The melody is strong enough to hold up amongst the spare setting, but Paul’s vocal doesn’t sound as convincing as normal. The emotion is a tad muted – it’s hopeful but downtrodden like he’s still dreaming but he’s getting a sense his feet many never be on the ground like he hopes. Pretty track to wrap things up.

The MEZ, foxylady, gja586 and 3 others like this.
  9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Secret Friend (8/10)
    A cousin of “Darkroom” this may be the most successful experiment – the full platter of percussion, the general flow of the rhythm, the psychedelic vocals, the dreamy quality from everything combined – just a really attention grabbing piece that will forsee some of his Fireman side works. I can hear the whole 10 minutes pretty easily – it just wraps you in and doesn’t let go. The great part after the first vocal section where the thin horn sound plays a Latin riff 3 times only to stop one note short the last time around opening up the floor for the various percussion to get some attention. The toy saxophone sounding solo that follows is a great sequence early on. I do feel cast adrift at sea like the lyric suggests -which reminds me of those moments at the end of “With A Little Luck” and its misty wash of synths but this one drifts off into seas of another world. "I-need-ja, I need-JAAAA!!!"

The MEZ, gja586, omikron and 4 others like this.
  10. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

One of These Days

A beautiful acoustic ballad.

Lyrics:

One of these days
    When my feet are on the ground
    I'm gonna look around and see

See what's right, see what's there
    And breathe fresh air, ever after

One of these days
    When a job just takes too long
    I'm gonna sing my song and see

See what's right, see what's there

It's there, it's round
    It's to be found
    By you, by me
    It's all we ever wanted to be

One of these days
    When we both are at our ease
    When you've got time to please yourself

See what's right and see what's there

It's there, it's round
    It's to be found
    By you, by me
    It's all we ever wanted to see

One of these days
    When my feet are on the ground
    I'm gonna look around and see

See what's right and see what's there
    And breathe fresh air, ever after, ever after
    Breathe fresh air, ever after

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Acoustic guitar, Engineer, Mixing, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Eddie Klein: Mixing assistant
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: May 16, 1980
    Recorded at Home Studio, Peasmarsh, Sussex, UK / Spirit Of Ranachan Studio, Campbeltown, Scotland / EMI Studios, Abbey Road
    Length: 3:40 minutes

theMess likes this.
  11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Secret Friend

A masterpiece. This is a sound experience with a crazy mix of quieter rhythms and vocals, it's just a hypnotic performance, an invitation to enjoy an unexpected place for a relaxing and dancing life where Paul with an ethereal voice wants to be your secret friend...

Lyrics:

Feel like you've never fit before
    Here we are
    Where are we

Night draws in, once again
    A perfect day will end

Feel like you've never fell before, once more

A perfect day will end

Feel like you've never felt before. once more

Here we are
    Where are we

Feel like you've never felt before, once more

I need ya
    I need ya
    I need ya
    I need ya

A perfect day will end

Feel like you've never felt before, once more

Here we are
    Where are we

I need ya
    I need ya

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Bass, Drums, Electric guitar, Keyboards, Mixing, Percussion, Producer, Shaker, Synthesizers, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Eddie Klein: Mixing assistant
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: September 15, 1980
    Recorded at Home Studio, Peasmarsh, Sussex, UK / Spirit Of Ranachan Studio, Campbeltown, Scotland / EMI Studios, Abbey Road
    Length: 10:30 minutes

12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Just found this on the Tube.

Gonna listen to it in depth tonight. :cool:

WilliamWes, Who Cares and theMess like this.
  13. Bemagnus

I thought I was the only one who found Secret Friend to be a masterpiece. Glad I was wrong

14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It's one of the songs from his entire career that I think is the most innovative, including his Beatles work. It pointed ahead to the music that became popular over a decade later and it still sounds timeless to this day.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Great interview, I love hearing him discuss 'McCartney 2', 'Venus and Mars', 'Back To The Egg', 'Ram', 'Wild Life', etc.

Who Cares likes this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Wait, now we cannot diss Lunch Box/ Odd Sox, can we??? :candy:;)

17. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Secret Friend: 5/5 For its seemingly endless length, Secret Friend never get boring for me. I love to space out to this song. The rhythm sticks or whatever those are, are enough to elevate this song to a 5. 100% win and I'm glad he released it albeit in very limited fashion. For an experimental album, he got some mileage out of these recordings.

The MEZ, janmaccazwan, coco77 and 5 others like this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I am suprised at the amount of love for ' McCartney II ' and pleased to see it. I was thinking it might come in for a drubbing. Just goes to show what Macca-men we are. Will the love last ? We'll see....

As you know there are many McCartney and Beatles threads on this forum and many of them contain negative digs and opinions at and about McCartney. I often invite some of the naysayers to this thread to give a touch of abrasiveness to the sometime overgushiness ( is that a word ? It should be ) that is here but I don't see anyone coming on board.

19. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I welcome reading opposing viewpoints as long as the person is explaining why. (Hahaha which I just realized I didn't really do for Bogey Music)!

Just saying something is crap is not going to cut it for me. Even a comment like "hey I tried but this just isn't my thing" is understandable.

It would be nice to have a little more discussion on here as opposed to posting our level of love for the songs.

So to rectify . . . I don't like the car horn sounds in Bogey Music, I don't like the childish melody. I do like the last 30 seconds with the ad libbing, particularly the last second when the song mercifully ends.

I wish he had switched out BM for Check My Machine. Or even an edit of Secret Friend and save the full lengh for the 12". It would have given side 2 a much more interesting effect overall instead of this thing where Paul is farting around in the middle of the side.

20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would have loved for the full-length 'Secret Friend' to close the album, and for 'Check My Machine' to take the place of 'Bogey Music' and also 'Nobody Knows' if space was still needed.

21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

The above is how I feel about McCartney II. I can fully understand how some folks consider it a masterpiece because it is far out enough that, if its your thing, you'd be in heaven. I've rarely been taken by the more experimental side of McCartney. When he is experimental in support of a well written song I usually find it captivating. But his experiments are, more often than not, sound experiments without a solidly written tune as a vehicle. That's why most of McCartney II doesn't float my boat - not enough proper songwriting. I consider McCartney to be the world's greatest living songwriter and that is what I buy McCartney music for - great songs.

I don't know which of the deluxe edition tracks are b-sides and will be discussed. So I'll just mention that my favorite of the additional tracks are Blue Sway which is a lovely, haunting piece and Mr H Atom which I find a lot of fun.

22. Bemagnus

Me H Atom and the wondruous will be discussed in time m. Once we get to the de-luxeedition that is

23. Bemagnus

I think it s great to share different wiews. I think we do this here but happily avoid the bickering that sometimes plagues other thread. In fact that s a wonderful thing about this place

BZync, dunkoid and omikron like this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

One Of These Days 10/10

My favorite song on the original album.

25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Here's a usual bitch I have about McCartney albums and ' McCartney II ' is a good example---- crappy album cover ! Again !
    It almost put me off buying it when it was released. I'd have rather seen a Macca doodle drawing than the full face thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.