Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

His album covers since the "chair" one haven't been so bad.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh ! That's one of the worst covers in rock music history. But we're getting ahead of ourselves.
    Dealing only with the albums so far discussed , I' d say ' Ram' was the worst album cover. With 'Speed of Sound' a close second.
    Have I already said this here? It's all becoming a BeatlesLennonMcCartney HarrisonStarrgroupsoloalbumssingles blur.

3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

:wtf:

4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Just a few of us longtime curmudgeons who think McCartney II is an embarrassment. But the cloud will lift with the next album in line.

5. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

and i like the album cover. I imagine that's the face most listeners made when they first heard Temporary Secretary lol

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

The next sure will gets is dues. Even from curmudgeons, But first we have to go with one more beaty from the McCartney sessions that Id bet You don t like
    :)

Bruce M. likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Next one
    Check my machone
    With this b/side to Waterfalls we say goodbye to the McCartney II sessions for now
    This one is mainly Paul check-in out his gear and gettin a bit wild and crazy on the way. Punctiated by a great riff that goes on and one-Paul does several voices during the trip
    I have always enjoyed listening to tjos one -it s fun and exitng. Soundwise it s way before it s time.

8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I like II’s cover.
    The sand colour and multi-lit close-up capture the album’s mood real well.

BZync, theMess, dunkoid and 5 others like this.
  9. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I love "Check My Machine". Terrific tune with one of Paul's best basslines ever.

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Check My Machine:
    Really catchy tune that instantly sticks in your head.
    However, as an experiment it has to take a backseat to Secret Friend as it’s a bit more limited in it’s scope.

Now, will the Lunch Box/Odd Sox lynch mob fess up?

11. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Good morning all you horseriders :tiphat:

Two b-sides I forgot:
    Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reggae 1.5/5 ~ A throwaway track, for a christmas single b-side ok.
    Coming Up (Live) 4/5 ~ I prefer the album version but this is a great energetic live rendition.

Check My Machine 5/5
    One of my favourite Macca deep tracks - often the first song on McCartney mix-tapes I create for friends. Very very very funky. "Check My Machine" and "Secret Friend" (edited?) should have been regular album tracks!

The MEZ, Who Cares, theMess and 2 others like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Paul had done lots of extravagant "event' shots or location shots or big name photographer shots for his album covers up to this point. His albums were big deals and there needed to be something grand on the cover to go along with it.

I like how he kept it very low key, almost underground, for the McII album cover. Even the fact that he's just in a plain white tshirt lends to this theory. It fits the style of the album. Just him. Nothing extravagant. No exotic recording studios or big press events. Just Paul.

I haven't figured out the goofy face yet but it could be no simpler than the fact that Paul does a LOT of funny faces in photos. He likes to ham it up. Or it could be symbolic of him getting caught recording this album on the quick and aside from his existing band which he had not dissolved yet.

And I do not agree about the covers to date. I thought they were all great and fit the albums well.

BZync, Piiijiii, Who Cares and 4 others like this.
  13. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I love Check My Machine & can’t help but think that Damon Albarn used it as a template for most of his Gorillaz output.

14. Bemagnus

True
    I think Gorilsz once put boy check my machine and Darkroom on a mixtape. The music from McCartneyII have been more influential than is generally known

15. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Banjo in a funky groove? Only McCartney. Love this one!

16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Check My Machine: 4/5 I think the album would have been much improved if this track was added in place of one of the weaker tracks but I get Paul wanted to balance things out a bit on the album. There’s not much to this track but it’s got a killer groove to it. I also like the Looney Tunes intro.

The MEZ, Who Cares, theMess and 2 others like this.
  17. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Check My Machine (2/10)

I think this is his worst experiment - as the title indicates, there is little ambition and despite a really good funk bass line, the Chipmunk voice is highly annoying for me and at over 5 minutes, I have a hard time hearing this all the way through. I prefer "Kreen Akrore" to something this repetitive. How many times can you sing 'check my machine, check it out'? I don't mind the high pitch vocals on any other track and I liked the electronics on everything but this one has become a bore to me. It's the repetition without the changeups or beautiful landscape "Secret Friend" had. As a composition, it's poor.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

[​IMG]

Bemagnus likes this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Damon is a fan of Paul, and asked him to perform 'Coming Up' and 'Goodnight Tonight' with Africa Express, so he is obviously aware of Paul's output from 1979/1980, but has he ever mentioned 'McCartney 2' ? I'd love to know if he mentions it as an influence on early Gorillaz work.

Who Cares likes this.
  20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Check My Machine

A testing machine recording transformed in an ode to improvisation, freedom and construction of one of the most experimental mix of sounds with a terrific bassline and crazy vocals. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

(Spoken) Hi, George
    Morning, Terry
    Hi, George
    Morning, Terry
    Ooooeee
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

(Spoken) Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones
    But Names Will Never Hurt Me

Check My Machine
    Check Check Check Check Check My Machine
    Check My Machine

(Repeat) -

I Got A Woman A Long Time Ago
    I Had Trouble
    I Want You To See What You Can See

Check My Machine
    Check My Machine

(Ad Lib)

I Want You To Check Check Check Check Check My Machine Check Check Check Check Check My Machine

(Ad Lib)

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Banjo, Bass, Drums, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Mixing, Percussion, Shaker, Synthesizers, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Eddie Klein: Mixing assistant
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: June 13, 1980
    Recorded at Home Studio, Peasmarsh, Sussex, UK / Spirit Of Ranachan Studio, Campbeltown, Scotland / EMI Studios, Abbey Road
    Length: 5:53 minutes

The MEZ, theMess and omikron like this.
  21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Check My Machine...

Full Length Version (8:59 minutes):

theMess likes this.
  22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Check My Machine...

On 1988 the song was sampled by Dj Cuca:

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  23. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

That live performance is really cool. That African guitarist is incredible & Damon can’t contain his excitement at having Macca on stage; he’s bouncing all over the place like a hyperactive loon. :)

Who Cares and theMess like this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I was so excited when I found out about it, and the song choice was fantastic! I would love for Paul to work with Damon, I think that they could produce a fantastic mix of Paul's more experimental work and 'McCartney 2' with what Damon creates as Gorillaz.

Who Cares likes this.
  25. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Full disclosure: I am a big fan of Paul's 70s output, with occasional quibbles. I've actively participated along the way on this thread and have gone back to revisit a lot of great music (though my opinions haven't really revised!!)

I full out don't like M2. The reasons are plenty which I won't go into here.

I felt like that this thread has been pretty positive and without conflict and felt better to go along the likes of "if you can't say anything nice..."

So I've refrained, jumped off the train a bit. Maybe others have? Like I said, I don't mean to say any of this with ill intent. Just don't want to have to explain myself over and over against the tide of optimism for M2 and get cast as a negative, nor rain on others parade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.