Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yes, well I really wish you would just stop already, cease and desist, do this no more. end the conversation, finito, be done with it, as I can't stand when people repeat themselves and just say the same thing over and over, share the same sentiments without adding something new, bring up the same details, or just repeat themselves incessantly. Man, I hate when folks do that, I dislike it tremendously, can't stand it, am dissatisfied by it, nonplused, impacted negatively. Well you catch my drift, understand what I'm getting at, comprehend where I'm going here, no need to beat a dead horse. pelt a deceased pony, hit a colt that has passed on, flog a fallen filly.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Sometimes I find myself spending more time with ”lesser” albums from major artists than their more ”important” albums. Wild Life definively is such an album. I find it a rather unique venture and it s meaningless to compare it with the Beatles or Ram.

Piiijiii likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Before I joined this Forum many years ago, I never realized that it was my destiny to preach about the wonders of "Bip Bop".
    But I have accepted my fate and will praise the song for a life time----on second thought, maybe just for a lunch time... ;)

4. Dr. Pepper

He likes the song, huh?

omikron and Bemagnus like this.
  5. Bemagnus

I know at least two artists who on s regular basis have defied the expectstions in spectacular ways. Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney. They are fearless in that matter-in very different ways though.

Guy Smiley and Arnold Grove like this.
  6. Bemagnus

So I have been told.
    :)

Guy Smiley likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

It s a dirty job
    But someone has to do it

8. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Mumbo - Sure it’s not a great song (or maybe it is, music is subjective after all) but it sure is enjoyable to listen to. Paul’s voice is basically just another instrument here, so the nonsense lyrics don’t bother me.

Bip Bop - Like others have said it goes on for too long, but it’s still a nice charming song.

I prefer the recent rough mixes for nearly every track on Wild Life.

The MEZ, WilliamWes and BZync like this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Always liked ' Bip Bop'...probably always will.
    I would have thought it was going to get a mauling here but it appears it's either liked or tolerated.
    You have to admit it is a Macca earworm though. If you hear it once it's in your head and that's that.

The MEZ, Who Cares and coco77 like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bip Bop - Whereas Mumbo was stupid but at least rocked, this is stupid and just stupid. Some days I'm more forgiving than others. This is not one of those days. Don't be thick in front of me, Paul. 1/5

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Oh ! By the by, did anyone have a chance to chime in on the new ' Ram' thread started earlier today?
    It's closed already. Not enough Macca love , I suppose.

12. Wildest cat from montana

Geez Louise, oil man! We posted at the same time and I was just saying nobody was really bashing ' Bip Bop" and here you are bashing it!
    And , yes , I read your post in my mind with a Daniel Day Lewis voice.

The MEZ, omikron and Daniel Plainview like this.
  13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I don't have a lot to say about side one of WL. It's not my fave Wings stuff. Side two is better. Not a masterpiece, but better.

I will say that I sure wish Paul had brought on a lead guitarist when cutting Wild Life. Kind of weird to call it a band without really the means to pull off a "band" type song without extensive overdubbing. In that way, WL is somewhat similar to BOTR in that its like Paul, Denny and Denny cutting some basic tracks and layering the other stuff on top. Love Linda, but I guess she is not a prominent player on WL.

Really, to get a sense of Wings as a *band* in early stages, I think one needs to wait for the first single, Give Ireland Back to the Irish, to hear the possibilities. And of course, Red Rose Speedway.

14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Valentine Day

An Instrumental song. Interesting combination of sounds with a powerful rhythm. Again the simplicity is the essence.

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Percussion, Drums, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Label: Apple Corps
    Release Date: April 17, 1970
    Recorded at 7 Cavendish Avenue, St John's Wood, London, U.K.
    Mixed at EMI Studios, Abbey Road, on 22 February 1970.
    Length: 1:41 minutes

Paul about the song:

"Recorded at home. Made up as I went along – acoustic guitar first, then drums (maybe drums were first). Anyway – electric guitar and bass were added and the track is all instrumental. Mixed at EMI. This one and Momma Miss America were ad-libbed, with more concern for testing the machine than anything else."

Source: "McCartney" session (home recordings) (December 1969 to January 1970)

The MEZ, coco77 and Bemagnus like this.
  15. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I wouldn't quite call it "meaningless" to compare an artists work to other works by the same artist. I imagine most would find such a comparison very meaningful indeed.

16. Bemagnus

Of course it s interesting to compare. I only meant one can enjoy albums for different reasons. Obviosly Ram is an album Paul took much care in making and it s a much ”better”album than Wild Life. That one was for the most part made up on the spot during a few days session-work. In that way it s not so meaning-ful to compare them. They are totally different things. But one can enjoy them both

17. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

I compare works while also trying to hear it for what is is. "Mumbo". He is mumbling and the song gives me exactly what the title suggest. It's a mumble song, and therefore would have been wrong with a set of understandable lyrics. I can listen to "Wild Life" and imagine what it would have sounded like with the smooth arrangements of "Tug of War", and wonder what "Tug of War" would have been if it was recorded by the "Back to the Egg" lineup of Wings. I think the possibilites is endless, and nothing is necessarily more right than the other.

18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Every Night

A beautiful song. One of the highlights. Paul expresses something complex in its simplest form. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Every night, I just want to go out
    Get out of my head
    Every day, I don't want to get up
    Get out of my bed
    Every night, I want to play out
    And every day, I want to do
    But tonight I just want to stay in and be with you, ooh
    And be with you

[Chorus]
    Woo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooh
    Oo-hoo-ooh, mm-hmmh
    Oo-hooh, mm-hmmh

[Verse 2]
    Every day, I lean on a lamp post
    I'm wasting my time
    Every night, I lay on a pillow
    I'm resting my mind
    Every morning brings a new day
    And every night, that day is through
    But tonight I just want to stay in and be with you, ooh
    And be with you

[Outro]
    Oo-ooh, mm-hmmh, believe me mama
    Woo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooh, ah
    Oo-ooh, mm-hmmh
    Oo-hoo-ooh, mm-hmmh

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Drums, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Lead Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Harmony vocals by Linda McCartney
    Label: Apple Corps
    Release Date: April 17, 1970
    Recorded at 7 Cavendish Avenue, St John's Wood, London, U.K.
    Mixed at EMI Studios, Abbey Road, on 22 February 1970.
    Length: 2:30 minutes

Paul about the song:

1970:

"This came from the first two lines, which I've had for a few years. They were added to in 1969 in Greece (Benitses) on holiday."

Source: https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/paul-mccartney/songs/every-night/

19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Looking at songs on this page and giving a 0 to 5 star rating
    Mumbo-good dumb, fun rocker (3 stars)
    Bip Bop-dumb, annoying, goes on too long, vocals are terrible. The nadir of Paul's career (0 stars)
    Valentine Day-just plain boring instrumental (1 star)
    Every Night-the second best song on MCCARTNEY. Could have been a hit single. Very catchy and very heartfelt. I love it (5 stars)

20. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I didn't say it sounds like Phil Spector. It's orders of magnitude worse, but the orchestration is not really the problem, it's Paul going off the rails.

21. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Much like Mumbo, Bip Bop is barely even a song.

BZync likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Ouch!:D

23. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Bip Bop" decent R&B number, somewhere between doo-wop and country blues. A bit long so I'll only give it a 3/5.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    The MEZ and WilliamWes like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Sometimes I wonder-if Paul never would have recorded Bip Bop -what song of his would have the status of Bip Bop.

25. Dr. Pepper

Mumbo

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    omikron and Paul Gase like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.