Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I vehemently despise this song in all forms. Ergo I cannot stand it when this appears on Paul's recordings or I have to suffer through it during live shows or recordings. Nothing against Paul. All negativity is directed specifically towards this song.

Have a great day, everyone!

WilliamWes, gja586 and Who Cares like this.
  2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Message To Joe

A techno message to Joe.

Lyrics:

Hello Joe
    I hope you're feeling better
    This is a little tape
    To give you an idea of how? my love goes
    It's very rough
    But you don't have to feel so down
    Thank you

Credits:

Album: At The Speed Of Sound (Archive Collection)
    Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Vocoder by Paul McCartney
    Recorded at Abbey Road studios
    Recorded by Pete Henderson
    Mixed by Pete Henderson
    Remastered by Alex Wharton, Simon Gibson
    Label: Hear Music
    Release Date: November 3, 2014
    Length: 0:24 minutes

Song:

3. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Hope for the Future is okay but kind of generic. It feels like a homework assignment. My Carnival is a hoot. It should have been on an album.

Who Cares, WilliamWes and omikron like this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Destiny: Original Soundtrack

[​IMG]

An extraordinary collaboration project for one of the best video games. The instrumental work is solid, emotional, and melodic. It's a great sonic experience.

Credits:

The Destiny Original Soundtrack is the official soundtrack for Destiny, composed by Martin O Donnell, Michael Salvatori, C Paul Johnson & Paul McCartney.

Released digitally on September 26, 2014 by Bungie Music Publishing,

Destiny OST features forty-four instrumental tracks from the game.

Track listing:

1. The Traveler – 2:30
    2. The Fallen - 4:37
    3. Excerpt from the Hope - 2:16
    4. Excerpt from the Ecstasy - 2:10
    5. The Warmind - 2:09
    6. Guardian - 2:08
    7. The Tower - 1:20
    8. The Last Array - 6:57
    9. The Collapse - 1:33
    10. The Journey Home - 3:09
    11. First Challenge - 3:46
    12. Prey - 2:13
    13. Tranquility - 5:09
    14. The Great Unknown - 1:35
    15. Excerpt 1 from the Rose - 1:23
    16. Excerpt from the Tribulation - 2:15
    17. Guardians Lost - 3:50
    18. Relic of Hope - 2:14
    19. Departure - 2:01
    20. Lost Horizons - 1:09
    21. Reborn - 3:35
    22. Sepkis Prime - 4:14
    23. Traveler's Promise - 1:56
    24. Deconstruction - 1:42
    25. Excerpt from the Ruin - 1:36
    26. Untold Legends - 3:34
    27. Cabal Stomp - 3:41
    28. Dust Giants - 4:28
    29. Ishtar Sink - 4:43
    30. The World's Grave - 5:36
    31. Exclusion Zone - 3:48
    32. The Stranger - 1:11
    33. Temple of Crota - 5:17
    34. Eye of the Gate Lord - 4:02
    35. The Hive - 5:47
    36. The Collective - 4:11
    37. End of the Line - 3:32
    38. The Vex - 5:13
    39. Siege Dancers - 3:17
    40. Chronologies - 3:33
    41. Passage - 3:22
    42. Excerpt 2 from the Rose - 2:47
    43. Excerpt from the Union - 1:45
    44. All Ends Are Beginnings - 1:34
    Soundtrack:

omikron, The MEZ and Paulwalrus like this.
  5. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Hope For The Future

I'd listened to this just the once prior to today back when it first came out.

It's better than I remember. It's not really what I look for from Paul as it's a little cheesy, but it's actually pretty good. I reckon that with a few more listens it'd grow on me: 3/5. :)

6. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Going To New Orleans 2/5
    My Carnival 1.5/5
    Baby Face 1.5/5
    Message To Joe 0.5/5 (as it's short and I quite like the vocoder!)

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

:laughup::yikes::bigeek:

8. Dr. Pepper

Hope for The Future originally 7/10 with the state of our world today 9.5/10

Paul continues to be ahead of his time. I think if the song had been released now it could have been a hit. A positive message that I could use right now, and I think the world could use as well.

9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Get Me Out Of Here (5/10)
    It’s refreshing to hear an Americana type of song from McCartney and how his voice has a filter singing ‘get me out of here’ like he’s in a container. But how come the other backing vocals don’t have the filter? Well, regardless of that, there’s not much of a composition here feeling more like a genre exercise.

Scared (7/10)
    A couple of tunes from Egypt Station have this vibe – looks like this may have been a sound he wanted to continue with – stately solemn piano, sad vocal, uncertainty, older deeper voice. It’s as if this was the bridge that branched back to the sad sentiments of Chaos And Creation mingling with new love thoughts and how those two take time to get worked out when they meet. The piano/vocal solo style is as intimate as the album gets. This actually may be as “Scared” as John’s song was. He does a good job showing personal vulnerability.

Struggle (5.5/10)
    This has a similar electronic production as “Appreciate” as it works its groove while bring forth another relationship lyric that’s tougher stance than the normally cuddlier McCartney –“if you wanna fight, doesn’t really matter, I want you tonight”. He needs some lovin’ real bad. He even gives a monologue about it like a horny preacher. The vibraphone and tunnel vocal interlude is just another unique moment in the Macca catalog. As the groove continues though, it doesn’t really move around enough other than the one interlude so it loses some steam by the end.

Hell To Pay (8/10)
    Sounds like Billy Joel on the verses with Nirvana busting in for the choruses. An exhilarating effort vocally from Paul that really grabs you by the throat when it hits the chorus. Playing like 70’s arena rock, it’s like the song grows large as it hits the first hard rock chorus. The piano is intense like the vocal, and I like the mean lyric – he needs to show some toughness and that’s evident here. The only line that is weak is ‘waiting for the penny to drop’ – he could have something angrier there but otherwise it’s still another great bonus. I need my share of hard rock and there’s nothing on New that rocks as hard as this or the hard rock songs on Memory Almost Full.

[I see someone else wrote the Billy Joel thing about "Hell To Pay"-yes I agree]

Demon’s Dance (8/10)
    Paul’s trying someone else’s style and the melody is recycled from something – Paul so rarely does this sound that it’s interesting what he goes for when he does. The verses sound like “Comfort Of Love” by himself and the choruses sound like “One Week” by Barenaked Ladies and I thought of it cause I happened to hear that tune earlier this week. This one’s just so likeable and not overplayed like “One Week” so it’s one of his freshest songs to me – the upbeat attitude and fun vocal; great stuff. “Let me know you love me” has a melody that’s quoted from “Good Times Coming”/”Feel The Sun” so Paul’s grabbing a pinch from each of these songs. It all helps this strong track. I’d have liked this in place of “On My Way To Work”, cause of this song's energy.

Paulwalrus, gja586, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  10. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future

A highlight. An emotional composition with great vocals, sweet melody, and positive lyrics. Paul is connecting the game with reality. In a way, it's a spark to fight for a better place. Just perfect. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

Some hope for the future
    Some wait for the call
    To say that the days ahead
    Will be the best of all

We will build bridges
    Up to the sky
    Heavenly lights surrounding
    You and I

From out of the darkness
    Our future will come
    If we leave the past behind
    We'll fly beyond the sun

We'll be together
    Sharing the load
    Watching in wonder
    As our lives unfold

Hope for the future
    It's coming soon enough
    How much can we achieve?
    Hope for the future
    It will belong to us
    If we believe
    If we believe

Hope shines brightest in the dark
    When nothing's ever seen
    Lighting undiscovered places
    No-one's ever been

Some hope for the future
    Some wait for the call
    To say that our destiny
    Will be the best of all

And we will build bridges
    Up to the sky
    And heavenly lights
    Surrounding you and I

Hope shines brightest in the dark
    Where nothing's ever seen
    Lighting undiscovered places
    No-one's ever been

Hope for the future
    Hope for the future
    Hope for the future

Credits:

Digital EP / 12": Hope For The Future
    Produced by Giles Martin
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Guitar, Piano, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Bass Guitar by Brian Ray
    Electric Guitar by Rusty Anderson
    Keyboards by Paul "Wix" Wickens
    Drums by Abe Laboriel Jr.
    Cello by Caroline Dale
    String Arranger, Conductor: Ben Foster
    Choir: Libera Boys Choir
    Additional Keyboards, Programming by Toby Pitman
    Recorded at Avatar Studios, NY, USA / AIR Studios, London, UK
    Recorded by Sam Okell, Eddie Klein, Keith Smith, Jamie Kirkham
    Mixed by Mark 'Spike' Stent
    Label: Hear Music
    Release Date: December 8, 2014
    Length: 4:10 minutes

Promo Film:

Directed by Daniel Askill.

11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Hope For The Future...

Hope For The Future (Main) (4:10)

Digital EP / 12" single:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Paulwalrus, Piiijiii and omikron like this.
  12. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future (Thrash) (2:57)

Digital EP / 12" single:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future (Mirwais Mix) (4:26)

Digital EP / 12" single:

[​IMG]

Promo CD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future (Beatsession Mix) (6:00)

Digital EP / 12" single:

[​IMG]

Promo CD:

[​IMG]

Interview:

15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future (Jaded Mix) (5:35)

Digital EP / 12" single:

[​IMG]

16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Destiny - end credits:

Paulwalrus and omikron like this.
  17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Destiny 2 - easter egg:

18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future (Edit) (3:07)

Promos:

UK Promo CD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FRA Promo CD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Promo Film, Making of:

19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future (Sweet Thrash (Remix 1)) (3:55)

Sweet Thrash 12"

From PM* - Sweet Thrash

"Secret Record Store Day 2015 release signed by Paul McCartney. A first wave of records appeared in selected shops in the UK on 6th-7th of April 2015. Selected shops in the US received a single copy and were instructed to not advertise it or include it with the rest of the RSD releases, but to hide it under the Paul McCartney section at RSD 18th of April. Each side contains a different unreleased alternate mix of "Hope For The Future".

Allegedly limited to 100 copies worldwide.

The record was originally released in a white generic die-cut cardboard jacket, a thin white inner sleeve and an inserted card with details of how to download a '3D printable Paul' figurine."

[​IMG]

20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hope For The Future (Sweet Thrash (Remix 2)) (2:50)

Sweet Thrash 12"

[​IMG]

21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Finally,

The Hope (7:44)

The final track of the musical suite Music of the Spheres. It was released on June 1, 2018.

Paulwalrus, omikron and The MEZ like this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

NEXT ONE
    Four-Five Seconds
    Many Macca die-hards detested Paul workin with Kanye. Not me I love this slice of pop -music and whatever Pauls contriburion is the song was huge and must be regarded as a modern classics.

“FourFiveSeconds” is a song recorded by Barbadian singer Rihanna, American rapper Kanye West, and English musician Paul McCartney for Rihanna’s upcoming eighth studio album. It was written by West, McCartney, Kirby Lauryen, Mike Dean, Ty Dolla Sign, Dave Longstreth, Dallas Austin, Elon Rutberg, and Noah Goldstein. Previewed by West at the iHeartMedia Music Summit on January 21, 2015, it was posted on Rihanna’s official website on January 24. The same day the song was released as the lead single from her upcoming album being made available for digital download via the iTunes Store. “FourFiveSeconds” is a pop song with country and folk music influences and an instrumentation consisting of an acoustic guitar, organ and cello. […]

Composition and lyrical interpretation
    “FourFiveSeconds” is a “country-tinged” acoustic and “stripped down” pop song with a folk feel and a length of three minutes and eight seconds. “FourFiveSeconds” features a simple instrumentation consisting of only an acoustic guitar and organ, while it’s also accompanied by a cello in the background. Instead of being rapped, West’s lines are sung, while McCartney only plays the instruments. Billboard’s Jocelyn Vena stated that the sound of the single represents a departure from the material present on Rihanna’s 2012 studio album, Unapologetic. Hugh Mclntyre of Forbes agreed with Vena who also stated that it “is a complete departure for both Rihanna and Kanye West, though it does fit McCartney’s style“. Lanre Bakare of The Guardian called the song an “acoustic ballad” and agreed that the song is a departure from Rihanna and West’s previous collaborations. Alex Frank of Vogue magazine described “FourFiveSeconds” as an unplugged version of Rihanna’s 2011 single “We Found Love“, without the dance beats, present on her previous singles.

Lyrically, it “express emotions ranging from the flip to the resigned“. Sharan Shetty of Slate stated that the song is about “heartbreak and redemption“, while a Yahoo! News reviewer noted that it is about “personal travails and confusion“. Nora Crotty of Elle magazine described the single as an “ode to repenting in the morning for the foolish mistakes you made the night before“. Billboard’s Vena stated that a plucky acoustic guitar accompanies Rihanna’s vocals while she sings the lines, “I think I’ve had enough/ Might get a little drunk/ I say what’s on my mind/ I might do a little time. Cause all of my kindness/ Is taken for weakness.” The lines are followed by West’s part with him singing, “Woke up an optimist/ Sun was shining, I’m positive/ Then I heard you was talking trash/ Hold me back/ I’m about to spazz.” On the later chorus Rihanna and West join vocals as they sing, “Now I’m four, five seconds from wildin’/ And we got three more days ’till Friday/ I’m just trying to make it back home by Monday morning.”

Critical reception
    “FourFiveSeconds” received rave reviews from music critics. Peter Kandunias of Gigwise praised Rihanna’s and West’s vocals and also McCartney’s play of the instruments in the song. Mclntyre of Forbes specifically praised Rihanna’s vocals and wrote that the spotlight is on them and are highlighted in a way they can not be on her “club-ready, bombastic tunes“. Jim Farber of New York Daily News praised the collaboration and stated that it’s better than the previous West-McCartney collaboration. Additionally, he praised Rihanna’s vocals and stated that they are a lot better than West’s, “who could have used more auto-tune to firm his unsteady vocals” Farber further noted, “It’s refreshing to hear Rihanna sing with so little affect, in a setting that’s much less processed than most of her recordings“. Vox’s Kelsey McKinney noted that Rihanna’s voice presents growth in range and tone since her last album, and it’s more vulnerable than we’ve heard Rihanna since the 2013 single “Stay“. According to him, the song hints that her new album could have more confessional slow songs like “FourFiveSeconds“.

Spencer Kornhaber of The Atlantic also praised Rihanna’s vocals, writing, “Listen to the ragged squeak in her voice in the first verse, and how she maintains control as she alternates between contemplative trills and gospel shouts during the bridge“. According to him, the song showcases the distinctiveness of her timbre and phrasing is, something that wasn’t heard on her previous songs like the 2010 single “Only Girl (In the World)“. Travis Grier of Def Pen Radio thought that the song is a right choice for Rihanna to achieve legendary status, as, “she’s tackled pretty much every genre under the sun and ‘FourFiveSeconds’ just expands her versatility even more“. Crotty of Elle wrote that the song is “awesome” and “sweet“.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  23. Dr. Pepper

Probably the coolest Paul has ever looked in a video!

BZync, Who Cares and Bemagnus like this.
  24. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

FourFiveSeconds: 2.5/5

This is not really my milieu but this sounds like a capable collaboration between two very talented people and one idiot.

Paul doing this one live was kind of funny as the words would be up on the screen while Paul was singing it, I guess to get all the unaware moms and dads into the song more.

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Who's the idiot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.