Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

No worries ...Paul got most of the A sides by later Beatles..

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I also love Honey Pie, just a great fun song which is a hallmark of most of Paul's "Granny Music" songs throughout his career. This seems like a good place for:

Paul McCartney - The Great Grand Granny Music a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

Track List
    A Taste Of Honey - Remastered 2009 Please Please Me (Remastered)
    Till There Was You - Remastered 2009 With The Beatles (Remastered)
    When I'm Sixty-Four - Remix Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Deluxe Edition)
    Your Mother Should Know - Remastered 2009 Magical Mystery Tour (Remastered)
    Penny Lane - Stereo Mix 2017 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Super Deluxe Edition)
    Rocky Raccoon - 2018 Mix The Beatles
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - 2018 Mix The Beatles
    Honey Pie - 2018 Mix The Beatles
    Martha My Dear - 2018 Mix The Beatles
    All Together Now Yellow Submarine Songtrack
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer - 2019 Mix Abbey Road (Super Deluxe Edition)
    Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey - Medley / Remastered 2012 Ram (Archive Collection)
    Dear Friend - Remastered 2018 Wild Life
    Mary Had A Little Lamb - 2018 Remaster Red Rose Speedway (Archive Collection)
    Single Pigeon - 2018 Remaster Red Rose Speedway (Archive Collection)
    One More Kiss - 2018 Remaster Red Rose Speedway
    Walking In The Park With Eloise - Remastered 2014 Venus And Mars (Archive Collection)
    You Gave Me The Answer - Remastered 2014 Venus And Mars (Archive Collection)
    Listen To What The Man Said Wingspan
    Let 'Em In Pure McCartney (Deluxe Edition)
    Mull Of Kintyre Pure McCartney (Deluxe Edition)
    After The Ball/Million Miles - Remastered 1993 Back To The Egg
    Baby’s Request Pure McCartney (Deluxe Edition)
    Ballroom Dancing - Remixed 2015 Tug Of War
    I'll Give You A Ring - Remastered 2015 Tug Of War (Archive Collection)
    English Tea Pure McCartney (Deluxe Edition)
    Two Magpies Electric Arguments
    Best Love Rare Bird Alert
    Only Our Hearts Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    Home (When Shadows Fall) - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    It's Only A Paper Moon - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    More I Cannot Wish You - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    The Glory Of Love - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me) - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    My Valentine - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    Always - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    My Very Good Friend The Milkman - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    Bye Bye Blackbird - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    Get Yourself Another Fool - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    My One And Only Love - Live from Capitol Studios Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    The Inch Worm Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    Baby's Request Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) - With Strings Kisses On The Bottom - Complete Kisses
    In The Blink Of An Eye Ethel & Ernest (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    Honey Pie - Esher Demo The Beatles
    Oh! Darling The Other Side Of Abbey Road
    Golden Slumbers / You Never Give Me Your Money The Other Side Of Abbey Road

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    berryM likes this.
  3. joy stinson

I would very much beg to differ with many you call “granny”...Penny lane ? That alone is blasphemy...Single pigeon? Is a supper club style.....Golden slumbers/you never give me your money? Who knew? I thought you never give me your money was sophisticated rock...The great swamp Style gospel..Oh darling? That in and if itself is incredible blasphemy...Not to mention the gospel after ball/million miles gospel style? The waltz Mull song granny? One more kiss is country..Maxwell is burlesque..Dear friend is a bitter sweet ballad....Uncle Albert/Halsey granny?

Now I must go to bed and see if I can bum any heart pills off my neighbors, lol.....Let em in? A marching song genre, Listen to what the man said? New Orleans style....Lamb is a children’s song...as is all together now..how can they be for children and grannies? Two magpies is granny? Obla is ska/folk....I know I’ve missed some others..

Say when did all of these various musical genres become granny?...just because they don’t all rawk? This is a garbling mish mash of different various genre styles on your list many are not granny ....not granny..by definition, which is....traditional styles from music hall show biz Possibly Maxwell is granny because of its history on Victorian London stages and Berlin before the war. So are Lennon’s ballads all granny too? He didn’t do nearly as much genre variation as wasn’t his strength...Meant to add ..mull is a folk style waltz.

I enjoy identifying the different genres in music and find these sweeping mergings with a generally denigrating Lennon created term amazing for music forum folks...These different genres represent great musical variations not traditional show biz music ...Of course stuff from kisses, Martha my dear, your mother should know, etc. are cover songs or harken back to Broadway, stage music but you’re painting with a mighty broad brush here...This kind of stuff I see repeatedly on SHF astounds me...I likewise seen SHF complete complete genres and styles..denigrated as...”pastiche and derivative”...The entire Beatles musical career was a blend of pastiche or derivative...Lennon admitted this in his seventies interviews...they took older songs blended and reworked them...The entire Beatles solo careers were likewise derivative styles....with a very few exceptions...Beatles themselves expanded rock and brought multi genres to it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    905 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Oh, I don't agree with all of them either. I've collected these song together from lists others have generated from all over the internet including the SHF of what they think is Granny Music by Paul. I kind of like the diversity though.

joy stinson likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

My rule of thumb was if at least two people classified a song as granny music then I would include it in my playlist.

joy stinson likes this.
  6. joy stinson

Lol..but they seriously lack musical genre discernment if they classify the songs I noted as granny .... I immediately learned to ignore the granny designation songs on this forum....as they seem to be the opinions of hipster millennials who want everything indie or brief or non psychedelic and boomers furious when a song does rawk. This forum is obsessed, as opposed to say YouTube, with granny Paul designation and with proping up the long dated and dead late sixties rock genre...Compelled to give you a like despite your appalling list mush mash genre mix ups. Lol

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Next Up - GET BACK (Lennon/McCartney)

GET BACK (Lennon/McCartney)

JOHN 1969: "We'd been talking about it since we recorded it, and we kept saying 'That's a single.' Eventually we got so fed up talking about it we suddenly said 'Okay, that's it. Get it out tomorrow.'"

PAUL 1969: "We were sitting in the studio and we made it up out of thin air. We started to write words there and then... When we finished it, we recorded it at Apple Studios and made it into a song to rollercoast by."

JOHN 1969: "The way we're writing at the moment, it's straightforward and there's nothing weird. Songs like 'Get Back,' things like that. We recorded that one on the Apple roof but I'm not sure if that's the (single) that went out. We always record about ten versions. You get lost in the end."

RINGO 1969: "Paul takes the lead vocal, and you can say it's a lovely little toetapper. If you can sit down when this one is on, then you're a stronger man than I am."

JOHN 1980: "'Get Back' is Paul. That's a better version of 'Lady Madonna.' You know, a potboiler rewrite."

8. Dr. Pepper

9. Dr. Pepper

10. Dr. Pepper

11. Dr. Pepper

12. Dr. Pepper

13. joy stinson

Maybe it was because I was 12 yo when this came out...but the entire song was way past cool to me then and still is ..a great late sixties sounding and truly late sixties hippie style song....The song had further cred to me then as lyrics mentioned grass....I still find their LIB era very cool though sadly depressing and dark..George was most fine looking in LIB movie...Like many of you here, I saw it in the theater then. Unlike some of the released movie scenes..this video shows them enjoying themselves....As folks said in the sixties they and Preston got way, way down on get back sing and several other seriously cool songs on LIB and the ballads were extremely powerful on the album..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  14. Dr. Pepper

15. Dr. Pepper

16. Dr. Pepper

17. joy stinson

Now..there you go..showing those Tavistock Beatles doubles, lame imitations,...those boys fooled no one ..lol.

Bingo Bongo and 905 like this.
  18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Get Back - I absolutely love this song! Just fantastic classic music! Just imagine if the Beatles had gone on tour, no more quick 12 song sets but a chance to really stretch out and play many of these great songs! It just wasn't meant to be.

19. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I wouldn't call any of the Paul songs you list here astringent or acerbic. Different strokes.

20. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Get Back is a great, fun track. Nothing profound, but it sure does make you want to tap your toes.

joy stinson likes this.
  21. joy stinson

Yeah..you had said on the forum in other threads that the eras of those songs I cited aren’t your tastes or Paul preferred eras, but I bought all of seventies those solo Beatles as came out, played them alongside each other..and heard acerbic stuff, lyrics and tunes in all of them along ..but if that’s not your Paul era, it’s not your era I understand that..I think he had different seventies eras, early seventies solo paul with both ballads and gritty stuff like rode all night, oh woman oh why, Monkberry moon delight, then he had his seventies glam rock era which led into mid seventies stadium rock/hits , then his folk/prog attempt on LT and a grittier egg era....I found both several songs and the lyrics ascerbic and more I didn’t list from the seventies, but folks have different definitions of what ascerbic means and there’s always degrees of it...each to his own as you say...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  22. Dr. Pepper

Always loved Get Back as a song and I feel like the whole Get Back/Let It Be sessions did a great job ringing in the lower mote rocking sound of the seventies where as Abbey Road was more of a ending of the sixties with its more complex melodies and concepts and refined sound. It was a good call to hold back Let It Be.

23. Dr. Pepper

Next Up - ALL TOGETHER NOW (Lennon/McCartney)

ALL TOGETHER NOW (Lennon/McCartney)

JOHN 1971: "I enjoyed it when football crowds in the early days would sing 'All Together Now.'"

PAUL circa-1994: "When they were singing a song, to encourage the audience to join in they'd say 'All together now,' so I just took it and read another meaning into it, of-- we are all together now. So I used the dual meaning. It's really a children's song. I had a few young relatives and I would sing songs for them."

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'All Together Now' is a catchy child-like song. Nothing more and nothing less. But one of my least liked Beatles songs.

wayneklein and Dr. Pepper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.