Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Letting Go

A heavy rocker song. The bass performance is terrific with great guitar riffs, powerful vocals and nice harmonies. The music and lyrics are the perfect complement. Great composition work.

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Ah, she tastes like wine
    Such a human being so divine
    Oh, she feels like sun (Like sun)
    Mother nature look at what you've done

[Chorus 1]
    Oh, (Oh) I feel like letting go

[Verse 2]
    Oh, she looks like snow
    I wanna put her in a broadway show
    Ah, she'll dance and dine
    Like a lucifer she'll always shine

[Chorus 2]

Oh, oh, I feel like letting go
    Oh (Oh) I feel like letting go

[Verse 3]
    Oh, she sings it so
    I want to put her on the radio
    One day and there you are
    Ladies and gentleman
    A brand new star

[Chorus 3]
    Oh, I feel like letting go
    Oh, I feel like letting go

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney
    Bass, Electric Guitar, Electric Piano, Strings Arrangement, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals, Organ by Linda McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Denny Laine
    Electric Guitar by Jimmy McCulloch
    Drums by Geoff Britton
    Strings Arrangement by Tony Dorsey
    Trumpet by Clyde Kerr
    Trumpet by John Longo
    Alto Sax by Michael Pierce
    Alto Sax by Alvin Thomas
    Baritone Sax by Carl Blouin
    Label: Capitol Records
    Release Date: May 27, 1975
    Recorded at Abbey Road Studios / Sea Saint Studios, New Orleans, USA / Wally Heider Studios in Los Angeles
    Length: 4:35 minutes

2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Letting Go...

Letting Go (Single Edit):

From Letting Go (Wings song) - Wikipedia

"The single version is remixed and is approximately a minute shorter than the album track. The single also incorporates elements that were not included on the album track, such as an organ glissando at the beginning."

3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Letting Go...

Letting Go (Extended Version) (October 28, 2014):

From Paul McCartney Extends Wings’ Reach on Remastered ‘Letting Go’

"Today, in honor of the two albums’ rereleases, the legendary singer has released an extended, remastered rendition of the Venus and Mars classic “Letting Go,” which is exclusive to McCartney’s website and will not appear on the Venus reissue. In terms of differences, Wings fans will be pleased to discover that the latest version of “Letting Go” is about a full minute longer than the original, features an extra smattering of guitar solos, a more prominent bassline, and basically no horns. (Unless horns are your thing.)"

And Exclusive 'Letting Go' Download

"To celebrate, PaulMcCartney.com is giving you an exclusive extended and remastered version of ‘Letting Go’ to download, in association with 6Music. The track does not feature on the Venus and Mars reissue and is only available through Paul's website.

The track received its worldwide premiere this morning on Lauren Laverne's BBC 6Music show. "

4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Letting Go...

Letting Go (From Rock Show Film):

gja586, JDeanB and blutiga like this.
  5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Letting Go is one of many Macca/Wings tunes that are a lot of fun but can't quite make the pantheon of his Greatest Works. The horns are great, and the whole arrangement is really solid. It's interesting to me that it wasn't a terribly successful single (only no. 39 in the US, no. 41 in the UK). His lighter pop singles always seemed to be the biggest hits, including one we'll get to soon. And I agree the live version on WOA totally kicks a**. That seems to be the case with a lot of Macca rockers -- the studio versions are okay, but the live recordings have a fire that the studio versions lack.

6. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Letting Go...

Letting Go (Live from Grand Central Station, New York):

The 'horn section' is a highlight!!!

WilliamWes and Bemagnus like this.
  7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Letting Go...

There is a promo with the mono version:

US Promo 7" single

[​IMG]

JDeanB and omikron like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Divided opinions on Lettin go. I stick by my wiew. This is a brilliant song and a great recording. I really like the basslines and guitar, not to mention the fat horn-section. Honourable mention to the backing vocals ecspecially from Denny Laine. I think it s a great arrangement and recording
    A different style but imo a very good song . The WOA version is great but in this case I don t want to out one above the other.
    A favorite of mine

9. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Letting Go...

There is a 2014 special release with the remaster version.

From Wings (2) - Letting Go :

"This Edition was first released as a Special Release for Best buy but it was also available as a part of the "Black Friday/Record Store Day 2014" and part of the "12 Days Of Christmas"-Campaign in the UK. Taken from Wings album - 'Venus and Mars' (2014 Remaster). "

[​IMG]

omikron likes this.
  10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Letting Go:
    This is where the album enters a late-night run until Call Me Back Again. It has a smoky atmosphere (you can almost picture them playing in a bar) and the brass sections and use of reverb on the vocals are spot on. One of the highlights for me on the album, this song oozes atmosphere. I got to check it out later, but I think the single mix was even better.

———-

Too Many People:
    Pissoff cake’, eh? :D
    Anyway, I’ll leave the Lennon yada yada alone. Excellent rocker to kick off proceedings on Ram, which I think is a top-tier Macca album, unfairly maligned by critics at the time. I love the little bit before the end, ‘She’s waiting for me.... YUUUUEEEAH!’ after which things almost derail (sounds like boxes are falling over at one point. What is that!??). Lovely bit of adrenaline there!

The MEZ, streetlegal, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  11. Bemagnus

I
    That s a good one. Pauls voice sure has changed but his old-man voice gives the song some stamina.
    It really is a brilliant composition and just as you said-the horn-part is fantastic

Who Cares likes this.
  12. Bemagnus

Next one
    Venus and Mars reprise
    Starting side 2 with the same song as side one is a typical Macca move. This time with different lyrics and different meaning. Instead of waiting for the show to beginning the narrativ seems to be waiting for a Spaceship. I like this song and the melody, also some nice vocal trickery. Overall though this attention of some connecting theme doesn t make much sense. Other than the fact Paul enjoys doin these things-he still does on Egypt Station
    Venus And Mars (Reprise)"

Standing In The Hall
    Of The Great Cathedral
    Waiting For The Transport To Come
    Starship 21zna9

A Good Friend Of Mine
    Studies The Stars
    Venus And Mars
    Are Alright Tonight.

Come Away On A Strange Vacation
    Holiday Hardly Begun
    Run Into A Good Friend Of Mine

Sold Me Her Sign
    Reach For The Stars
    Venus And Mars
    Are Alright Tonight

13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

That's a very good and fitting description! I think "Lunch Box/Odd Sox" would have fitted in that section as well.

Letting Go 3.5/5

A tough one to rate! It's a good song. The band is somehow on autopilot and so apart from the horns it sounds a bit like a demo.
    It's a solid album track but a poor choice as a single.
    And that's the issue with the "Venus And Mars" album ... I love the variety of it but basically I hear only one single (LTWTMS of course).

But I had an epiphany this morning:
    Paul should have sung lead on "Medicine Jar" and that would have been a great single!

Venus and Mars Reprise 4/5

Great! The Reprise makes much more sense that the other version (Venus and Mars in a sports arena?:waiting:)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  14. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I always interpreted the "Venus and Mars are alright tonight" in the opening theme as meaning "the planets have aligned and we will have an exceptional concert tonight!"... and then off to "Rock Show"

A sort of spiritual introduction, from a hippie culture point of view -- with rock concerts being sort of a mass for the young, a spiritual moment shared by all the attendants.

That's my take on the whole thing.

omikron, JDeanB, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  15. Bemagnus

Next one

Spirits of ancient egypt

Lead vocals by Denny Laine I for long thought this opus was his song. Of course it ain t--it s credited to Paul and Linda. The song is the real WTF-are they doin moment on Venus and Mars. An odd mixture between boogie and prog-rock I don t think it s one of Pauls career-highlights. The lyrics are not only weird but lacks all sense and the music doen t really flow that well. I don t dislike the song but franky never understood this song.That s until I started to listen to the WOA album where it actually takes some life. At least if one listen with an open mind.

You're my baby and i love you
    You can take a pound of love
    And cook it in the stew . . . . .
    When you've finished doing that
    I know what you'll want to do
    'cos you're my baby and i love you

I'm your baby -- do you love me?
    I can drive a cadillac
    Across the irish sea
    But when i've finished doing that
    I know where i'll want to be
    'cos i'm your baby, and you love me.

Spirits of ancient egypt
    Shadows of ancient rome
    Spirits of ancient egypt
    Hung on the telly
    Hung on the telly
    Find more lyrics at ※ Mojim.com
    Hung on the telephone . . . .

You're my baby, i know you know
    You could sell an elevator
    To geronimo
    And when you've finished doing that
    I know where you'll want to go
    'cos you're my baby, i know you know

Spirits of ancient egypt
    Echoes of sunken spain
    Spirits of ancient egypt
    Hung on the 'phone
    A-hung on the 'phone
    A-hung on the 'phone
    . . . . . again . . . . .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    omikron likes this.
  16. Bemagnus

One thing that this thread have been free of is bickering and personal attacks. I would be happy if we kan keep it that way. It s much more fun to exchange wiews without those things. :)

17. Bemagnus

This one is better

Eleanora's Alchemy likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

Another version with Denny

omikron likes this.
  19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I like V&M Reprise and don’t mind Spirits too much, as insanely stupid the lyrics are. I mean, it’s two half finished songs put together, neither remotely related. But the band plays with a little life and the harmonies are well done.

I actually like side two better than side one. Not by much, but it rocks more.

it’s been mentioned often, but not summarized: with the exception of You Gave Me The Answer and maybe Listen To What the Man Said, the other V&M songs performed on WOA are all simply much better versions; rocking, some swing and swagger.

Who Cares likes this.
  20. BZync

BZync Senior Member

The reprise of Venus & Mars is fun. Again, Paul is really good at creating the illusion that his albums are a cohesive whole.

Spirits of Ancient Egypt and Medicine Jar are the two worst songs on the album. Putting them back to back at the head of the second side completely kills any momentum the disc had. Both tracks are very pedestrian and Medicine Jar is anonymous - could be any half baked 70's hard rock band.

21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Venus And Mars (reprise):
    This fits in very well between Letting Go and Spirits, retaining that late-night vibe, but this time some psychedelia creeping in. It introduces Spirits in the same way as it’s predecessor introduces Rock Show, but I prefer this transition.

———

3 Legs:
    A pleasant throwaway kinda song which sits well in the album sequencing coming off the high of Too Many People. Nice little rockabilly tune with some reggae tagged at the end.

22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Venus And Mars (Reprise)

Nice acoustic song with interesting lyrics and effects.

Lyrics:

[Verse]

Standing in the hall
    of the great cathedral
    Waiting for the transport to come
    Starship 21ZNA9.

A good friend of mine
    Studies the stars
    Venus and Mars
    are alright tonight

Come away on a strange vacation
    Holiday hardly begun
    Run into a good friend of mine
    Sold me her sign
    Reach for the stars
    Venus and Mars
    are alright tonight

Credits:

Bass, Guitar, Mellotron, Moog, Strings Arrangement, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Piano by Linda McCartney
    12-String Guitar by Jimmy McCulloch
    Cymbals by Geoff Britton
    Strings Arrangement by Tony Dorsey
    Harp by Gayle Levant
    Recorded at Sea Saint Studios, New Orleans, USA / Wally Heider Studios in Los Angeles
    Length: 2:05 minutes

Paul's own words:

" "And I've been reading a bit of science fiction, things like Foundation by Asimov. I love the scope of it, the vision of it, because you can write anything. The second time 'Venus and Mars' comes around, it says 'Sitting in the hall of the Great Cathedral / Waiting for the transport to come.' That's like in science fiction books, waiting for the space shuttle. 'Starship 21ZNA9,' that's the kind of thing you'll find in Asimov. I like that, sitting in the Cathedral, really waiting for the saucer to come down, to take him off to Venus and Mars or whatever." "

Source: Paul Gambaccini, " Paul McCartney in his own words", 1976

23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Spirits of Ancient Egypt

A progressive rock song. Paul gave away his work. Strong backing vocals with an interesting musical mix but weak lead voice.

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    You're my baby and I love you
    You can take a pound of love
    And cook it in the stew
    When you've finished doing that
    I know what you'll want to do
    'Cause you're my baby and I love you

I'm your baby -- do you love me?
    I can drive a cadillac
    Across the Irish Sea
    But when I've finished doing that
    I know where I'll want to be
    'Cause I'm your baby, and you love me

[Chorus 1]
    Spirits of ancient Egypt
    Shadows of ancient Rome
    Spirits of ancient Egypt
    Hung on the telly
    Hung on the telly
    Hung on the telephone

[Verse 2]
    You're my baby, I know you know
    You could sell an elevator to geronimo
    And when you've finished doing that
    I know where you'll want to go
    'Cause you're my baby, I know you know

[Chorus 2]
    Spirits of ancient Egypt
    Echoes of sunken Spain
    Spirits of ancient Egypt
    Hung on the phone
    A-hung on the phone
    A-hung on the phone again

Credits:

Backing Vocals, Bass, Gismo, Moog by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals, Organ, String Machine by Linda McCartney
    Electric Guitar, Vocals by Denny Laine
    Backing Vocals by Jimmy McCulloch
    Backing Vocals, Drums, Gong by Joe English
    Backing Vocals by Alan O'Duffy
    Recorded at Sea Saint Studios, New Orleans, USA / Wally Heider Studios in Los Angeles
    Length: 3:01 minutes

Paul's own words:

""I was reading a book about Egypt recently, some of it has gone into the new album ('Spirits of Ancient Egypt'). "

Source: Paul Gambaccini, " Paul McCartney in his own words", 1976

24. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Love Letting Go. Sexy bass line and dig that key change towards the end. I don’t really understand what he’s feeling like Letting Go of though, but that’s okay.

Venus & Mars Reprise: spacey and fun, glad it’s not overly long. Totally a nod to John with the good friend who studies the stars, IMO.

Spirits Of Ancient Egypt: “You can take a pound of love and put it in a stew” I just can’t with this line, Paul. I think the song is kinda cool (And maybe a little Floydian?) otherwise and I always enjoy Paul on backing vocal duty but that’s just too lame even for me! I do like the hung on the telephone part, to say something nice...

omikron and Who Cares like this.
  25. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Spirits of Ancient Egypt" is just an average pop song.

It's far from great but it brings back nice memories of the first few times I played "Wings Over America" when I was in my last year of high school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.