Paul Thomas Anderson - Phantom Thread - Christmas 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by inaptitude, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably my favourite modern filmmaker and this looks great.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Daniel Day's last movie. The wife will have to see this trailer. She doesn't go for characters like this guy, tho. We'll see.

3. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I hope this will not be DDL last film he is too good an actor to stop IMO. Always enjoy watching his films.

agentalbert likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I can't wait.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Hope it's better than Inherent Vice.

art, Old Rusty, somnar and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Also, it's weird to see a PT Anderson film that isn't set in California.

art likes this.
  7. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

So excited for this! Absolutely loved Inherent Vice--a film so easy to like that I'm genuinely bewildered by its detractors. My favorite director. He is versatile, creative, and a true auteur. This trailer contains familiar PTA elements, but also strikes me as something he hasn't yet attempted. He is perhaps not as great as Kubrick, but he is our current era's relay runner for the Kubrickian approach and legacy.

I'm only sad to see the end of what I interpret as his run of American history psychoanalytical films, from There Will Be Blood through Inherent Vice.

Mechanical Man and inaptitude like this.
  8. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

PTA + DDL = I'm in...

PhilJol likes this.
  9. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I saw this today and thought it was excellent.

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

It's not out here till February, but am very much looking forward to it. I'll be taking in the 70mm presentation.

Any further thoughts @MRamble ?

MRamble and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  11. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

As is a typical PTA film, the presentation is meticulously precise. Acting is impeccable by the entire cast. Music was wonderful..gorgeous in some places. It's hypnotic and encapsulating all while being a relatively small/quiet affair. Just an overall great film inmho.

It should look stunning in 70mm. Do report back after you've seen it!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Desolation Row and harmonica98 like this.
  12. It opens in Seattle on the 19th. I’m there.

Gavinyl and Desolation Row like this.
  13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I haven’t been disappointed by a PT Anderson film yet, therefore I’m really looking forward to seeing this. If this is to be Daniel Day Lewis’ final film (he has quit before), then hopefully he’s going out on a high; the reviews I’ve read so far suggest he is.

Desolation Row likes this.
  14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Still waiting for this to show near me,

FYI it wasn't shot on 65mm, but 35mm and blown up to 70mm for prints.

15. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Saw it last weekend. Loved it. I was disappointed by Inherent Vice, but then, I didn't like the novel either.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I also felt "Inherent Vice" as his weakest film yet.

Gavinyl likes this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I saw it last night in 70mm, gorgeous stuff. For certain settings and cinematography mostly, it had a big Kubrick vibe for me. I found myself really marveling more times than I expected at some of the shots and how they were very well balanced with props etc.; never overindulgent however. I enjoyed the music as well, but I didn't get a sense Jonny Greenwood had as much to do with it as in previous films; I plan to research that some more.

I'm am far from knowledgeable about these things, but I am not sure the 70mm has a much payoff as say in "The Master" as it was shot in 35mm then blown up for effect per this: Why the ‘Phantom Thread’ 70mm Screenings Are a Unique Experiment That Could Look Significantly Different

Edit: Here is more on the score, so as I suspected there was more of him than I felt at the time given a good chunk of that 70% had less of his signature. All of this is to say the soundtrack was very engaging and on point if not more an interpretation of the period's music, so I hope it gets recognized for that. Jonny Greenwood’s ‘Phantom Thread’ Original Score is Used in Nearly 70% of the Movie

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    budwhite and agentalbert like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So it's not out yet? February?

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Wide release was this past Friday, January 19.

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Saw it last night and I'm still digesting it. While I appreciate the movie from a technical/visual aspect, I'm not sure how I felt about the characters and story itself. It's basically a two-hour master class in passive-aggressive behavior.

MoonPool likes this.
  21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I saw it this weekend as well. Right off the bat, it was way better than Inherent Vice. Loved how glamorous and sumptuous it all felt. Enjoyed the pacing. The characters were interesting. Not entirely sure what to think of it all, though. But to me that's a positive. My favorite movies are the ones that leave me turning them over in my head for hours or days afterwards.

enro99 and Mazzy like this.
  22. Nominations for:
    Best Film
    Best Director
    Best Actor
    Best Supporting Actress

bmoregnr likes this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Original Score and Costume Design as well.

MoonPool likes this.
  24. YUP. I'll definitely pick up the JG soundtrack LP when it comes out in March or April.

bmoregnr likes this.
  25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Nonesuch says the LP is out 4/21, which is a Saturday and I think Record Store Day? Hopefully it's not a severely limited release.

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.