Paul Weller Vinyl Reissues of S/T and Wild Wood-November 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It also unnecessarily pushes the album into 2LP territory, which is annoying. Definitely the kind of thing he usually reserves for b-sides.

jon9091 likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

What did you think of these?

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Actually funny you should ask, as I am literally spinning Stanley Road for the first time this moment. The mastering is really nice, the vinyl itself is a bit noisy, which is frustrating, especially since my Kind Revolution LP I bought the same day was absolutely perfect. If you get a good deal (they were around $24 at my local shop...I know others in this thread have commented on absurd pricing for them) and love this album, it's probably worth it, but YMMV as far as pressing quality.

ScienceFriction and jon9091 like this.
  4. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

Yeah, Stanley Road definitely needs a cleaning. It took me three copies before I got a decent copy. First had pitting, second scratches, and the third is just a bit noisy here or there. I'm hoping a cleaning fixes that as it's not bad. Overall my present copy is pretty nice. I paid about $24 after tax from Amazon, so it was a good price. I wouldn't want to pay more than that. It would be nice to try Wild Wood for that price, and with the ability to return it if it's not a good copy. I'm pretty happy to have some affordable 90s Weller records finally. I would buy them again if they put out higher quality 2x12" pressings though.

5. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

I received a copy of Stanley Road today from Amazon: it had no shrink wrap and the vinyl was in a plastic inner within the card sleeve, which wasn't the case with the other PW reissues I've bought: I am suspicious that they've sent me a return ... can anyone allay (or confirm) my fears?

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

Well, mine certainly wasn't like that. Is it defective?

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yeah, sadly it looks like they sent you a return...sorry

8. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Both of my Stanley's came with printed card inners, so I fear you might have received a return. No surprise as the pressings on this for me were absolute junk.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Amazon sent me a number of returns. In some cases, they were completely obvious about it. My daft punk record was received with a massive scratch/gouge on the front cover (no shrink). They put an Amazon sticker over the top of it. I thought it was weird that it had this Amazon sticker with numbers on it in the middle of the cover. Peeled it off, and it was concealing the damage. This made me more angry that they had deliberately done it.

Their returns should be sold via their 'Amazon warehouse deals' account. Sometimes, they just say 'f@#k it' and send it out to someone as a 'new' item. They possibly get away with it from quite a few customers, who are not bothered. I always return it, even if there's nothing defective, as there is usually wear to the cover or something else. My Dave Matthews Band record was like this and the records were covered in dust like someone had just left them out somewhere. I also keep my records in the shrink but I want something that hasn't been messed around with...

Newscot likes this.
  10. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

It played well enough, with just some patches of surface noise and no visible defects ...

11. jmatuchi

jmatuchi Forum Resident

IMO amazon has gone way downhill as far as delivery goes.

I received the debut album in shrink but with NO outer packaging...the address sticker was placed right on the shrink wrap!

Defrance likes this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I just picked up the Wild Wood reissue sealed for £29.99 yesterday, which I was surprised about as there is only 1 on discogs for £52 at the time of posting this.

I think it sounds really good, needs just a little more welly but I get used to using my knob with vinyl (volume ;) )

Really enjoying this...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Well I finally picked up the Stanley Road reissue aswell. The mastering sounds pretty great. I suggest the noise that people are mentioning is no-fill, as my copy had a bit...fortunately not too much, some inaudible... but it had a nasty bit in one place. Unfortunately, this is par for the course with Optimal at the moment...

I did just freak out at the end of ‘I walk on gilded splinters’ with the skip at the end.....I’m not overly familiar with some tracks on this record! :yikes:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    landerstnkb likes this.
  14. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Wonder if we see more of Paul albums reissue on vinyl,

Ken.e. likes this.
  15. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I hope so!

jon9091 likes this.
  16. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I'd say this too, but I was mightily disappointed with the pressing quality of Wildwood and, especially, Stanley Road (or "Stanely" Road if you read the spine of the LP). Be nice to see the rest reissued if they can get the quality control sorted...

btltez likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Mine has the correct spelling, it seems that was just early copies...so you may have a collectors item ;)

Yes, pressing quality could be better.

sennj likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How does "Heavy Soul" compare to an original pressing????

19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have not heard one but I’ve heard an original white album and Wild Wood up against the reissues. Unfortunately both reissues come out a lot quieter and less punchy. I will grab a H Soul when the chance presents itself.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. I can't believe the lack of Wild Wood's they pressed given that it may be his most popular solo album. I've seen Heavy Soul and Stanley Road in cutout bins (and my favorites are his debut solo disc and the 24 Dreams albums). In any event, looked high and low for Wild Wood starting in late 2016 and could never find one in the bins at less than $40 US. Then they disappeared altogether and online prices were $50-$100 US.

Then just yesterday . . . magic. Walked into a shop in Edmonton, Canada while there on a work trip and found a new/sealed one (2016 reissue with the poster) for $26.99 Canadian (about $23 US). Wow! Needless to say, it's no longer in the bin at the store.

21. Neonbeam

OK, since "Heavy Soul" is the only old PW album I'm missing, I bit the bullet and ordered it. Not keen on spending £60 on an original. Especially since I found the debut and "Illumination" for 20€ this year. These deals are out there. Just not when we are looking for them. :evil:

(Still kicking myself for selling my sealed copy of "Heliocentric"!!! :buttkick:)

mrjinks likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Let me answer because I just got "Heavy Soul", the only of these I needed on vinyl. Pressing and sound quality are decent. The cover on the other hand... it's a unipack. It does have the printed inner plus separate lyric sheet. So far so good/ authentic. Unfortunately the credit sticker on the back is a simple print - and not a real sticker. Also the printing quality isn't top notch. It simply doesn't look as crisp and sharp as the 1997 original. Since this isn't exactly a 20 bucks reissue, things like these are.... well.... not ideal. Since the original isn't exactly a 20 bucks title anymore either, there are two options: Grin and bear it. Or bite the bullet and pay twice the price. It's actually not that bad. But it's Paul Weller goddammit. Who always has great vinyl editions. See "True Meanings".

Hopefully the next batch will be done with more visual care. I shudder at the prospect of "Heliocentric" or "Wake Up The Nation" with printed flipback sleeves. :evil:

23. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I would be smiling for days if Heliocentric got a vinyl re-release.

24. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

How is sound on the self titled album on vinyl?

I'm thinking if getting a copy but it is a bit expensive.

25. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

I'd love a copy of this as well but things get a bit messy for the next batch of re-issues if they were to come.

Paul Weller - Go Discs (UMG)
    Wild Wood - Go Discs (UMG)
    Stanley Road - Go Discs (UMG)
    Heavy Soul - Island (UMG)

Heliocentric - Island (UMG)
    Illumination - Independiente
    Studio 150 - V2
    As Is Now - Yep Roc
    22 Dreams - Island (UMG)
    Wake Up The Nation - Island (UMG)

UMG = Universal Music Group

My fear is that UMG did not think Heliocentric would shift enough units to be re-released and they stopped at Heavy Soul.

If UMG did another batch it would have to be Heliocentric, 22 Dreams & Wake Up The Nation as they don't have the rights to the 3 in between.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.