'Pawn Stars ' - The Excuses And B.S. Lines Given To Pay As Little As Possible

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, May 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Rick said the show is about trying to teach about history

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

My goodness—there is enough real history in documentary form across Prime, HBO Max, PBS and BBC doc apps you’d never need to sully your eyes with that pablum again.

Shawn and beccabear67 like this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Is that the one that has the guy with the gold necklace and his daughter and son work in the shop with him (set in Detroit, MI if I remember correctly)?
    Which network airs that one? I remember seeing it once or twice, but we have a different cable package than we used to, so I don't know if we still have the network...

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I recently lost one PBS station (out of two) and BBC Canada, but I do get to see a lot of British docs via one provincial station, plus there are a couple other channels with such programs as Repair Shop, and what I can scrounge up via the internet.

Yes, I haven't seen it in quite awhile, it was set around eight mile or something like that... more of the unreal 'reality' drama thing than Pawn Stars.

5. Matthew Tate

do they still make new episodes on pawn star?

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I figured Rick being a cheap@$$ was the most realistic part of the show.

Shawn, Damien DiAngelo and Shoes1916 like this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

It's still on?!

8. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I really like the show in short bursts just to see what kind of cool things they bring into the store. I love all those ancient Japanese swords for example and it's very cool to learn a bit about them.
    That being said, a lot is of course staged. It's convenient how all of the ' experts' just happen to be close by, just waiting for that all-important call on the Rick-phone. That being said, it's cheesiness has it's charm.

*Customer comes in with an item which they had for a long time and has been passionate about
    *Rick explains what it is in detail, even though the customer already knows it
    *Rick then says he hasn't got any idea about a price even though he just exactly lectured the customer about his item

I know it's for audience purposes but the logic can be hilarious sometimes.

From what I've learned the actual negotiations aren't staged per se though.
    Or at least semi-staged since all the "customers" in those shots are extras.

And yes I do agree that Rick and co. often lowball a customer but don't forget that it is a Pawn shop. People go there to get cash ASAP. (Pretty useful in Vegas)
    You can't compare the money you get with the money you get in an auction sale or just a regular person to person sale. That's the price for getting the direct money.

scobb likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

reapers and Shoes1916 like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Then this new woman appeared and quickly disappeared, Olivia Black.
    Seems her 'other' lucrative career fell out of favor with the producers.
    [​IMG]

11. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

And that other guy, Steve Grad, who also authenticated autographs (by comparing them to pictures of other autographs) was also a phoney

Steve Grad - quasi autograph authenticator - cost collectors thousands of dollars

12. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Rick is VERY conservative, so may not go for the mask thing...

13. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Yes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

16. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Shoes1916 likes this.
  17. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I would imagine such a choice is the network's, not Rick's.

18. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I'm not so sure; I would think he'd dictate what happens in his own store...

19. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Yeah - I just saw him on a new episode!

20. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I wonder what people are paid to actually appear on the show - the appearance fee may make up for any "low-ball" price on their item.

groundharp and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I enjoy watching the show but I feel it is almost completely fake. The sellers aren't real (mostly), the negotiations aren't real, the prices aren't real and I doubt they even buy the items. I just enjoy seeing the items and the stories about them. Certainly, Vic Flick was real, as was his old Fender Stratocaster but that doesn't mean he sold it to them.

groundharp and rockclassics like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

my favorite is the guy who has Hank Williams amp....ummm ok maybe

23. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Why would anyone think any of this is real?

If I discovered that "oh so valuable" Civil-War rifle from under the bed at my late grandfather's house, why the hell would I ever take it to a pawn shop if I wanted to make any money?

The show is stilted as hell... Pawnshops in Las Vegas? It's hours and hours of half-drunk degenerate gamblers coming in at 3am to sell their last wristwatch right off their arms...

If this wasn't a TV, do you really think somebody would walk in with a, say, a hand-signed letter from President Tyler to their great-great-grandfather about the importance of "manifest destiny" or some crap to have a pawn shop owner in Las Vegas analyze it?

24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Yeah, I am not sure why Drew got fired and Grad didn't. Maybe Grad's mistakes were honest mistakes as opposed to Drew's mistakes, which sound like he knew what he was doing was wrong.

Shoes1916 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

What I didn't know until I read this thread:

Just how much controversy surrounded so many of the characters featured!

Fake "experts," a "suicide girl" photo spread, 20 felony (!) for this "Chumlee" dude... jeez!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.