Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

My goodness, I'd contact an auction house. Pay a local gun expert for an appraisal. Don't just walk into a Pawn shop and take the first offer they give you.

2. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

I have news for you. Unless your heirs are into analog or audiophiles, your record collection is probably getting sold for whatever your heirs can get for it.

Of course we plan on trying to conserve what we can of my Dad's legacy when he goes. In fact, he and I have discussed the issue of his collectibles and the problem of disposing of items relatively quickly from long distance. He knows it is an issue. How do you suppose he amassed such a huge collection of stuff? It was mostly spotting stuff at estate sales, rummage sales and more recently on ebay over the last 40 or 50 years.

I suggested he should make specific bequests, or even give stuff to friends now if there is a specific collectible he wants to remain as a family heirloom, or to a charity or even to a friend who might appreciate a given collection and has the means to transport it. He told me he doesn't want to do that as he enjoys collecting so doesn't want to part with his stuff now, but that when he is gone, it is pretty much up to his heirs whether his stuff gets kept, sold, given to friends, or donated.

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Well, let me put it this way: Money is like sex; everyone wants it. "Whatever my heirs can get for it" is all relative, depending on the point of view. If you mean a "give me whatever you want just to get it out of my sight" attitude, I can tell you that won't happen with my stuff. I have made my family quite aware of the value of most of my record collection, and how to get the most from it (like ebay, for example). Rest assured that if anything happens to me, they won't be selling my Butcher Cover, Mofi With the Beatles, etc. for peanuts to the first taker who stumbles into the house at an estate auction. THAT'S how I got a lot of my records!!:) (Can you say Near Mint second state Butcher cover for a buck!) That's what I don't want to see happen to you or your Dad's stuff if it is really valuable. I guess what bothers me, and is a boon for collectors, is that "hurry up and sell it so that I can get back to my normal life" attitude that does happen when a relative passes on. Of course, I realize that you live out of town and that such an undertaking would be very time consuming. I'm just suggesting that for the real "high-value" items, it may be worth it to you and your family to sell them properly.
    Personally, I hope your Dad keeps dancing till 110!! Long may he run.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist Thread Starter

Boy the History Channel keeps showing this to death.

#4 rated cable show right now!

Evan

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I like watching the show. Chumlee being a dumb a$$ is worth watching every week.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Some of this has got to be an act.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. RockWizard

For his sake, I hope so. I couldn't imagine anybody going through life THAT clueless!

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Not just anyone can authenticate an 1856 rifle. You can't just type in "1856 rifle" into google and get your price. You also have a small chance of that happening locally also. It can be done, but it is work. And if you aren't into antique guns, you probably will look for an easier way. Same with any other collectible.

I applaud the poster who has informed his family on the specific value of his music collectibles. That had to take a lot of time.

9. Evan L

No, I think Chumlee really is that dumb!

Evan

10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love the show, very entertaining, but you're fooling yourself if you dont thnik some of it is staged ,esp Chumlee being that dumb.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

It's a REALITY show, of course it's not 100% Real. :D

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Is the current season over? I just realized this week my DVR hasn't been recording new episodes of Pawn Stars for a while.

13. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I think so.

14. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

Definitely. On the last episode Rick handed Chumley a ball and chain and told him to put it in the front display case. Of course we all know what happened next. Totally staged but the show is still pretty entertaining.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. inperson

inperson Senior Member

It only has about 8 minutes of show after all the commercials and the re-caps of what happened 3 minutes ago just before the last commercial! I hate shows like that.

16. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

I think a LOT of that show is staged--Big Hoss putting the chair in the back of his truck then driving away without closing the tailgate so it falls on the ground and breaks? Yeah, right.

Also interesting--when Big Hoss bought the hot air balloon. Last season Rick gave him hell for buying a 25,000 speedboat, then he turns around and lays out 80k (something like that?) for the balloon? I think the producers put him up to buying that just so they could see Rick blow up.

Yeah, a lot of it is staged, but its still the most entertaining show on TV right now, IMO.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

This show has pretty much run its course for me. Seems like pretty much the same old routine and gags. It was pretty good at first, but for me, it got old pretty quick.

18. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I agree 100 percent. Entertaining at first, but then it seemed forced. Chumlee's stupidity in particular seemed more fake as it wore on.

19. RockWizard

I still enjoy the show seeing what comes in the door - both the characters and product.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Evan L

New season starts monday(American Pickers too).

Evan

21. maj2505

maj2505 Forum Resident

Sweet! Can't wait.

22. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I would like to see the 'family' do more shows on record collecting/buying...

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Excellent!!!--Did not know!

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Has he ever been interviewed "out of character" ?

25. Evan L

It's interesting that Chumlee has replaced the Old Man in advertising for the show.

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.