DCC Archive Paying for use of trademark...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

The following is only an example:

Let's say you really like vinyl, and a company has the choice of using authentic looking labels on the reissue they're about to do, 45rpm, just like Classic Recs. It's also something you would buy too. I'll use Joe Walsh's "Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get".

The problem the company has, is the budget gets a little weird because the record company charges you close to $1.20 per unit for the use of their ABC/Dunhill trademark on the label and the use of the art, because, let's say Lou Adler or Universal owns the logo, and along with printing the label, costs bring it up this much. You have the ability of just using a plain white company label for the LP and saving you and your customers money, but they get the boring white label.

Yes, the artwork is fine, and the gatefold is intact.

Would you as a collector care much about the labels on the record, or is just a white label with Ascap/Bmi info on it just dandy....? Would you mind paying the extra $1.20 in the price for this detail? (The price per unit would be close to $43.99 SRP with the label detail)

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, the color/version/authenticy of the labels never mattered to me, all I care about is the music.

Plus, a dollar is a dollar!!

Mikey

3. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Being sentimental, as I am, I always prefer the original label, liner notes, etc...
    I never liked the MFSL white labels on their LPs.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I wouldn't care too much about the labels.

For reference though, I kinda like the "knockoff" Colgems labels Sundazed did for the Monkees stuff. Wonder if they had to pay to use a likeness of that label.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Being a sceptic type, I'd think that they'd pass the cost on to the consumer - at about $5.00.

I'd like a white label - or better yet, another non "original" type of label, because of 1) cost savings and 2) I don't care if it does not look like the original label because it is NOT the original record.

BUT I would demand proper labeling from the new record company: ie: DDC Record Co., Falcons Greatest Hits, Originally released as ABC Records #78878B, Mastered by Steffan Hoffmeister.

(did I disguise that enuf? ;) )

This info would be important to me - it ID's it exactly what it is. Remastered. Heavy Vinyl. Whatever. I'd like to see it as a DDC release, ya know?

Anyone else agree with me?

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I don't care about the label - I just want the music.

7. cvila

cvila Senior Member

When would we see such a label...

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

For reissues, it doesn't matter to me if it has a replica of the original label or not but Legacy did a great job reproducing the 360 Sound label on the 1998 CD reissue of Jimmy Dean's Greatest Hits. I don't mind reproductions of original labels if they do a great job with it. If you want the original label, that's what the original vinyl release is for. It is all about the music for the fans and is all about the cash for the business.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.