PBS Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Nov 3, 2019.

1. georgebz1

georgebz1 Remember 1939. Stop Putin Now.

According to this Lonesome Town was released in the UK in November 1958.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks, I thought it might have been one of those anachronisms that creep into period dramas. The song could have been known to the producers from that Tarantino movie,

Now, 'weaponising" ... :)

georgebz1 likes this.
  3. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

This is my current favorite show "Expedition with Steve Backshall" and Season 2.Traveling the world to remote locations and many amazing places.Many potentially very dangerous to.
    This is a preview of an upcoming episode..don't look down :)

townsend and Dignan2000 like this.
  4. Pangurban

Pangurban Forum Resident

I keep coming back to Call the Midwife. I’ll watch a couple of seasons then take a break for a year or two then come back to it. Interesting thing about it. There are currently 11 seasons with more too come which I think is extremely atypical for BBC series.

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just been watching - and enjoying - the original. I do prefer the earlier series when James had the more attractive wife. It's not her, though, it's the kids and too much Callum that make the later series less good. I've enjoyed the remake too.

Amnion likes this.
  6. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Agree conpletely on the original Helen, she was wonderful. The second one a bit of a shrew.. LOL.
    Spot on about the kids and Callum too. And no Mrs. Hall :shake:

smilin ed likes this.
  7. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Grantchester, Guilt.

Looking forward to Annika in October. By the time I get to see season 1, season 2 will probably be ready.

8. 905

905 Senior Member

I used to enjoy History Detectives, is this streaming anywhere? I could never find it in the past.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I assume this was while Tristan was being another kind of doctor and someone thought Callum's awful on-off romance would be an adequate replacement for his hi jinx

Amnion likes this.
  10. John B Good

the last episode I saw opens with Johnny B Goode from an LP played in a seniors residence!

the matron who puts a stop to the music soon comes to her end. And the name of her character was Fletcher. I had already seen her as a Nurse Ratched

coincidence?

Bhob likes this.
  11. John B Good

Watched the season ending today, quite good but was in large part a follow up to an earlier episode, and would have been easier to follow if I could rewatch the earlier one.

Anyways, was that a Connie Francis song Sydney was listening to? If so, quite out of character.

Then towards the happy ending some version of I Will Follow Her (sung by a man) got a short spin.
    Since that tune originated in 1961 and got it's major hit credit when done in 1963 by Little Peggy March, I have to call anachronism?

12. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

That was Rick Nelson singing I Will Follow Her

13. John B Good

Thanks! It was just a snippet they played.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  14. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I agree - American Experience is probably my favorite show on TV.

It seems as if most episodes are inspired by or tied to a book on the same subject. I’ve been turned in to many good books because of it.

15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

American Experience is now airing a two-part series, entitled "Taken Hostage," about the history of U.S. involvement in Iran's affairs, starting with the overthrow of Mossadegh, the Shah's reign of terror (with his secret police known as SAVAK), Khomenei's exile in France and his return, and the subsequent fall of the U.S. embassy and the hostage crisis. It is really well done, blending vintage footage with talking head interviews. The entire series is almost four hours, and it is both horrifying and fascinating at the same time.

American Experience | Part 1 |Taken Hostage | American Experience | Season 34 | Episode 5 | PBS

Shawn, a customer, mr. steak and 2 others like this.
  16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I caught the second part but I want to see the first part as well. There was another doc aired recently all about the big crazy party city the Shah had built to 'entertain' notables and powers from around the world with big parades drawing on the past to the present... caviar, champagne, specially constructed individual luxury accommodations, fresh plants dragged in to replace what died off because it was in what had been a desert, they even had scorpion exterminators that were always very busy. People there despised the man even more after that huge waste of money on behalf of foreigners. Of course the place returned mostly to unlivable desert again pretty quickly.

townsend likes this.
  17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Lol . . . good minds think alike, except that you watched the second part, and I have only watched the first part!

The U.S. should have never overthrown Mossadegh to begin with, and we might not be dealing with a nuclear-armed and hostile Islamic theocracy as we are today. The late Chalmers Johnson popularized the term "blow back" to describe the unintended consequences of U.S. actions (often better referred to as "interference") abroad. Same concept as the "chickens have come home to roost."

smilin ed and mr. steak like this.
  18. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

The BBC series “Death In Paradise” is one of my favorites.

music.is.my.radar likes this.
  19. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I always enjoy watching Doc Martin.

Lonson likes this.
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Me. Rogers' Neighborhood

The King Friday puppetry is good and is basically a morality play about Friday's machinations and desires. Lady Elaine Fairchilde adds an interesting character as well.

21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I really like Endeavour, but it starts falling into the Murder She Wrote trap, where you start doing the math in your head of how many murders could there possibly be in a relatively small, countryside university town...

22. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

We've been enjoying

Miss Scarlet & the Duke SEASON 2 FINALE TONIGHT 11/20

Kate Phillips (Peaky Blinders) stars as the headstrong, first-ever female detective in Victorian London, who won’t let any naysayers stop her from keeping her father’s business running. Stuart Martin (Jamestown) stars as her childhood friend, professional colleague, and potential love interest, Scotland Yard Detective Inspector William Wellington, a.k.a., The Duke.

music.is.my.radar and Bhob like this.
  23. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

If you have PBS Masterpiece the first episode of season 3 is already available.

4xoddic likes this.
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This tenth season is pretty good!