“Peanuts” specials leave broadcast television, move to Apple TV+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Q: "O Great Pumpkin, where are you?!" - Linus

[​IMG]

A: Consumed by the Evil Apple! :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

[​IMG]

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Man, watching those 80s CBS bumpers brings back a lot of memories as someone born in the early 80s.

Speaking of which, I remember this bumper (it was known as "The Paint Shop") from the CBS Saturday Morning series in 1986 when I was a wee little lad and being kind of frightened by its uncanny valley.

MikaelaArsenault and cloggedmind like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that sucks! IMO...

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

We picked up this DVD last year...
    [​IMG]
    It has the 3 main Peanuts specials we watch every year for Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Darryl

Dave, Hadean75, Scope J and 5 others like this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Anyone who wants to see these specials can see them any number of ways. I don't see how it matters if they are or aren't airing on broadcast TV anymore after so many years where they had in the past.

From the perspective of the network(s) I could see why you'd want to put something else on instead of 50 year old cartoon specials that have been run into the ground by this point.

6. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

All things considered, Rats!

7. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

All 4 Networks wanted the Specials , and put in huge bids , they were simply out bid

skisdlimit likes this.
  8. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Yikes!
    Almost as much of an anxiety trigger as the Klasky-Csupo "thing":

nosliw likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Me.

Jack Lord likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

It was a yearly tradition for these to air on over the air TV, what's wrong with people wanting to keep that going? Personally, I think "It's a Wonderful Life" falls into the category of something that "has been run into the ground by this point", but I still want it to air for those who like the tradition. There's very few of those type of things nowadays. Stores and most businesses are closed on Christmas Day, that's a tradition that needs to be done away with too, right? I mean that's been run into the ground too...

I suppose you think it'll be pointless if they show the Rankin/Bass "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"?

Dave, Jack Lord, smokeverbs and 4 others like this.
  11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Unlike the wholly benevolent and altruistic CBS. :rolleyes:

12. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Well........they are giving a one day "free" preview after all:whistle:

skisdlimit likes this.
  13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Well, you also have Freeform (used to be Family Channel) that has their 25 Days of Christmas; they air many Rankin Bass specials that haven’t been shown on the networks in years (decades?). A Year Without Santa Claus, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, et al. When the schedule comes out, I set up my DVR to capture some of the oddball ones (Rudolph’s Shiny New Year).

Between DVR, YT and DVDs, I don’t really need ABC or CBS. As a parent or grandparent, I don’t even need a TV on the wall. Times change.

14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

That reminded me of those uncanny valley bumpers from the CBS Saturday Morning around 1995. I don't know what kind of drugs these guys are on who came up with those bizarro and frightening things.

BeatleJWOL and cloggedmind like this.
  15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I'm convinced that Linus, was having bad fever dream because Lucy , buried his blanket..
    With great Pumpkin Quest....

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  16. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Always sad to see cherished childhood traditions go by the wayside, but time and technology marches on. I got all of my favorite holiday specials either on BR or DVD some time ago so I can watch them whenever I want and without commercials (although I would love to watch them with the original commercials).

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Too bad these classics wont be on regular TV anymore. Their loss..... (and mine)

18. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

it's only a 2 or 3 year deal w/ Apple
    so who knows

+++ Apple TV is really struggling---it might even be gone before then

905 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I see a lot streaming services dying in next few years...
    Too much too soon..

905 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Terrible. Not everyone has a computer, as our school system abruptly found out this fall. Hell, I have the DVDs, and we'd still wait for the broadcast. It's just fun to have some spontaneity in our over planned lives.

I think this will backfire in the end, and the audience will shrink further.

Mostly sad that my 80-year-old mother will miss it, as she looks forward to it every year.

905, skisdlimit, Grand_Ennui and 2 others like this.
  21. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

What are we without traditions?

Apple TV won’t be around much longer anyway. I canceled that a long time ago! Having one or two good original shows/movies won’t make a streaming service.

Jack Lord likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Apple's market cap is extremely close to $2 trillion dollars. They could run Apple TV as a "hobby" for decades and not even feel it.

[​IMG]

I think with $2 trillion dollars, they could basically buy every single American movie studio, network, and entertainment company, and still have over $1 trillion dollars left.

Note that Warner Bros. owned most of the rights to the Peanuts specials, so they're the ones who made the decision to sell. They could have held onto them and made them part of HBOMax... but I suspect they got "an offer they couldn't refuse."

23. CowboyBill

Maybe they should then. Slim pickings on that streaming service.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've watched a bunch of stuff on Apple TV, including The Morning Show and For All Mankind, which I enjoyed very much. I think if Covid hadn't interrupted TV production so much, they'd have another 20-30 series up in 2020. But crap happens. I like to believe that life will get back to normal before too much longer.

We also use the Apple TV boxes to access lots of other services, including Disney+, CBS All-Access, Amazon, and Hulu, so to me it's all one thing. I say, "hey, let's see what's on The Box," and we fire it up.

25. CowboyBill

I will say I enjoyed Morning Show but that was about it. A lot of shows I started and didn’t care to finish. To each their own though. My Tv houses all the apps I use. Disney + is another one that has me regretting the subscription. When it all comes down to it it’s all about personal taste of movies and shows.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.