Pete Townshend - Psychoderelict - actually kind of good?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Or what he did. What's it been, three songs since Endless Wire 12 years ago?

Dog Ear likes this.
  2. That doesn’t mean that he has been writing any good songs

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Michael Rose and Elliottmarx like this.
  3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I included performing as well.
    The post I as replying to said Townshend should have retired a long time ago.

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I struggled with this album and got the 2 LPs in September. I love it now. It just grew on me.

ajsmith likes this.
  5. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

He clearly has retired as a recording artist. I’m not sure why anyone would expect a songwriter’s creative arc to stretch to more than half a century. Though there were extenuating circumstances, Brian Wilson’s was about five years. John Lennon’s output dipped dramatically in quality after ‘Imagine,’ and I *like* some of his later things, etc.

People point to Dylan, who has had many creative comebacks, but when was the last time his songs weren’t co-opted or adapted from earlier songs within the public domain? ‘Time Out of Mind?’ Was it before that?

Maybe people expect too much from Pete because he loves to hold forth in interviews on ART and things intellectual. But, being Pete, his opinions change from one day to the next.0

I’m sure it’s a combination of things: the well ran dry, he got old, fat and happy, no financial motivation, etc. It doesn’t mean he’s failed anyone.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Brian Doherty likes this.
  6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

You know Knob Twirler, tho I'm all over this thread complaining about lack of great PT songs for the past few decades, I gotta agree: I was/am probably expecting too much and more than most of the greats of the first rock era provided. There are certainly not a LOT of rock writers who kept being consistently great for over 18 years. Good run there Pete.

7. There’s a good EP hiding in this weak album. Now And Then, English Boy and some of those cool instrumentals make for some good listening.

Remy and Fullbug like this.
  8. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

I dislike this record. And yet, I'd argue that three of the outtakes -- "Uneasy Street," "There Is No Message in a Broken Heart" and "Squirm Squirm" -- rank with his best solo work. Go figure.

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It was an ambitious project that overreached [as many latter day Townshend projects had a tendency to do].

I tried really, really hard to like it [in both regular and music-only configurations] but it just doesn't musically grab me as much as his earlier works.

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's not really a fair assessment of John Lennon. He intentionally retired from the music biz from 1975 to 1979 to raise his son. From 1980 on, his output was dramatically cut short. :cry:

But look at Paul McCartney. He has slowed down a bit, but since 2000 the quality of his output has been arguably better than his 70's work and waaaay better than his 80's work...

mrjinks, Ryan Lux and linclink like this.
  11. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

Always had a soft spot for this record—partially because I got it in high school right as I was really getting into The Who (got this right after Daltrey’s “Rocks in the Head”). That said, I got the music only version and didn’t have to sit through the awful play parts. Really loved “English Boy,” “Now & Then,” and “”Early Morning Dreams.” Also “Lets Get Pretentious.” Never would have guessed this would have been Pete’s last full solo outing.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  12. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

The music only version is VERY good. Great songs ruined by a crappy story.

slipkid and Ryan Lux like this.
  13. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

No one has mentioned "Don't Try To Make Me Real", that's a cool track. I also really enjoy "Let's Get Pretencious", Pete still full of piss and vinegar, lyrically speaking. I don't believe Pete ran dry, I think he was really hurt by the failure of this project.

Surferghost, DocShipe and ajsmith like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The "music only" version was much more accessible, without the much maligned story/dialogue. I do not think it is uniformly strong and consistent, but it does contain some very good songs that probably do not receive the appreciation they might otherwise if they were associated with a more respected project.

Surferghost and Ryan Lux like this.
  15. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Ah, I'm reminded by this thread that "Don't Try to Make Me Real" is at least in the "good enough that I might want to hear it again in my life" range. Past it English and Now and Then tho, there are not actually good songs on the lp. I'd almost rather listen to the evil journalist lady talk dirty to "Rastus" and diss "poor Ray High" than any of those songs.

16. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Always liked Psychoderelict. Prefer the actual play format to just the CD with the songs. I saw him perform this at BAM way back when. For me, it's got a special place in my heart. There are some great moments here.

17. mkhannah

mkhannah Forum Resident

I love the version with the dialogue when I'm on a solo road trip. I guess it's different which makes it enjoyable for me.

18. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

As I said, I am a pretty huge Pete fan - if he quit recording I'm pretty much ok with that as long as he keeps opening the vault of his demos - in the past few years we've had the full set of "Tommy", "Quadrophenia" and a bunch of demos connected with "My Generation". The Lifehouse demos are some of the most amazing demos in rock music and it's a darn shame they are not in print (last released in 2000 on his private website). I think we could all agree "Who's Next" needs a proper super-deluxe treatment. A "Scoop 4" would be a really welcome addition to my music collection also.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Recently bought the new vinyl. Not as bad as some would have you believe. Unfortunately the plot is unfathomable and the talking parts can be annoying. A few decent tunes in there. One annoying aspect is the way the credits are listed. You are guessing who is involved in what track. Impressionist Jan Ravens does feature heavily in the play parts. Near the bottom of the Who/Townshend catalogue for quality but it's still worth a listen.

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I got it when it first came out and found the dialog extremely annoying. When I listen to music I only want to hear "music" not a bunch of talking/storyline. Heck my brain does not really even listen to sung lyrics, I get wrapped up in melodies, guitar playing, the singer's voice, the instruments. Am not looking for literary triumphs in music. If so I would listen to someone singing a book.

That being said I saw 2 shows on the tour that featured actors talking/playing the parts and found that enormously entertaining. Just does not work for me as an album to listen to. Luckily one day I found a 2 CD promo only release of this with one disc as a "radio edit" (removed any curse words for "censored dialog" so it could be played on the radio I guess) and another disc as just the music with no dialog at all. Listening to just the music I think it is a pretty good album. In later years the no dialog version was officially released & that is the only one that I can recommend.

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  21. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

.... and today, May 19, is Pete Townshend's 73rd birthday :cheers:

Billy_Sunday and quicksrt like this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've never gotten to hear it. Loved Iron Man, much of his other solo albums as well. So I think I might be able to get into that version if I ever hear it. Psychoderelict could warm on me without the English DJ in mo face.

But I suppose there won't be a super-deluxe edition of this one any time soon.

But anyway, I like Pete's rhythm guitar technique both electric and acoustic (legendary). A very tasteful producer, generally great sounding recordings are offered. As a lyricist it's never been questionable. Not the high-wired electric slasher of yester-years. But always interesting on some level.

23. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I like the music only version quite a bit.

I would stand on anyone's coffee table and say Now and Then is one of Pete's finest post Who moments - both as a piece of writing and, arguably more importantly, a vocal performance. Fantastic.

I Am Afraid is another great vocal turn from Pete.

Predictable is a fun little throw away - a slight song on one hand but it always gets me going anytime I hear it.

Cope_Freeland and DocShipe like this.
  24. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I didn’t get it as a 27 year old. Now in my 50s, I get it.

ajsmith likes this.
  25. Pretentious, narcissistic, dull. No sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.