Peter Gabriel Growing Up Live DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave D, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Got this for the insane price of $13.99 CND. Great disc. Pretty fat ass bass. Nice mix with some appropriate surround effects. Some really cool video effects too. :thumbsup:

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I think the video on this DVD is perhaps the best I've seen on any concert DVD. I can't find on the box whether it was shot in high-def or not.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I believe it was Hi-Def and that fat bass can be credited to the great Tony Levin.

You shoulda heard the bass he was playing on this tour especially inside The Garden. Fantastic!

4. Dave D

Still get chills when I hear his "Stick" intro to King Crimson's Elephant Talk.:thumbsup:

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I can't say I'm a fan of live CDs or DVDs, but I picked this one up anyway, sort of a memento of the tour we saw last summer. This DVD is the large-scale tour, so we get to see what we missed when we saw the smaller summer tour. I also have the 2-CD set of the Detroit performance...warts and all. :)

I've only glanced over this one on the computer, but it looks good. And it's an interesting take of a concert performance, as the stage hands sometimes figure prominently in the footage.

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I saw the large-scale arena tour (Continental Airlines Arena in NJ) and the small summer show (PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ) and the smaller scale show BLEW the large scale production away, IMHO for emotion and connection with the audience - and I was just a close to the stage for both performances.

7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

The performances are better than I expected and it has some interesting editing/effects. Quite a good version of IYE and Growing Up. The 'zorb' translates pretty well to video! The only downer is Kenney Jones, oops, I mean Ged Lynch, on drums:( After all the world-class drummers PG has brought along with him, what is going on with this guy?!

8. Dave D

Well, if Peter thinks he's good, who are we to talk?

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I guess since Peter says he good it must be true. I stand corrected:rolleyes:

10. Dave D

Well, we both agree that Peter Gabriel is a mucial genius, right? Do you see Peter hiring a drummer that sucks? "Gee, this guy is crap, but what the hell, Pete Best isn't available". :p

11. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Yes.
    If I watch this DVD I do! :D

Do you have Secret World Live? compare the drumming on Red Rain between that and the GUL version... Manu Katche smokes Ged!

Watching/hearing the latter is like listening to Genesis' 1970 album 'Trespass' with John Mayhew on drums. Great songs, great performances, but the drummer can't keep up. Peter and company recognized the weak link and brought in Phil. Much better!

12. Dave D

Oh, God, you can't compare this poor turkey to Manu. Most drummers suck compared to him!

But I will admit, the first time I heard/watched Red Rain, I thought he lacked the appropriate flourishes. I was singing them in my head, but he wasn't doin them! He's a bit too....boom boom bap...boom boom bap......so I can see what you are saying.

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Manu Katche is God!!!

I love that line of Branford Marsalis' in the movie of Sting's "Bring On The Night":

"We can just beat the sh#t out of any other band..."

14. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

We had row I for Peter Gabriel at Pine Knob...I'd never been that close at that venue, and at the angle we were sitting at, there really wasn't much between the stage and where we were sitting. Blew the pants of that Steely Dan concert a month or two later (and I'm a bigger SD fan than a PG fan). I just felt more involved and "into" the concert than others I've seen. Given the fact that the larger venue show was at the Palace, the small scale show was the only way I'd get to see him.

Next week is Brian Setzer Orch. Row "H" at a small venue. THAT is going to be a blast! :)

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just watched the Gabriel DVD last night - and it was almost a carbon copy (minus the fact that in America he had both the Blind Boys of Alabama and a few African musicians open for him) of the show I saw at The Continental Airlines Arena in NJ.

I thought it was pretty cool, though, how the European audience kept chanting the coda to "Animal Nation" during the band intros, and Peter helped keep it going... that did not happen at either show I saw (Continental or PNC Bank Arts Center), even though he did introduce the band both times.

Funny about the Manu Katche deal. I also believe him to be a sterling drummer, yet at the PNC Bank Arts Center when Peter introduced Mr. Lynch, he said something to the effect that he was one of the "best" musicians he has every worked with over the years? Maybe Peter knows something we don't. ;)

Anyway, this is a great DVD - with great sound, and really gives you a great feeling as to what it was like to see the show in the arena (round stage) setting (even though, as Rudy pointed out, the show at the smaller venue packed more of an "emotional" and visceral punch).

16. Dave D

I just watched it again (I love days off!). Yeah, he's no Ian Paice. but he's playing with Peter Gabriel .....and I'm in my pyjamas, so.......he must be doing something right!....:D

17. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Finally got a chance to watch this and WOW. This is an absolute stunning live concert in both content, music and picture. I have been a fan of PG for some time but mostly from SO onward. I was struck by how his concerts are more than just music but are really works of art. By that I mean, there is a lot of thinking and planning that obviously goes into his shows with a lot of symbolism and visual effects in addition to some of the best musicians around.

Truly a great DVD and highly recommended.

18. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I keep going back to this DVD and I'm enjoying it more and more... as Mike said, one of the cool things about it is that the audience was completely into the show. Lots of singing and clapping along, notably during In Your Eyes and on Sledgehammer, during the quiet guitar/drum intro to the song they actually start singing the horn lines they know are coming!

Some of the crowd energy has to be owing to the fact it was filmed in Milan; Italian audiences have loved Gabriel ever since Nursery Cryme first charted there in 1972.

Incidentally, the version of In Your Eyes, aided by the heavenly vocals of Sevara Nazakhan, is easily one of the best ever....

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.