Peter Gabriel - new album - I/O

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abzach, Oct 10, 2021.

1. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I do like that he's trying something different (for him). But I just don't love the way this particular song turned out.

Hoping the Dark Side mix brings out something else in this song.

JulesRules and sound chaser like this.
  2. Leskanic's Thread

Leskanic's Thread Forum Resident

The new song is growing on me, but still is a clear fourth place out of the first four. I'm reasonably confident the Dark Side mix will open the song up for me -- I have been thinking that I would have been more down on Playing For Time (especially) and The Court if the Bright Side Mix came out first.

The "stuff/stuff," uh, stuff in the lyrics is the first time on this project that it feels like Peter spent 20 minutes on it instead of 20 years. Makes me appreciate the "20-years-of-effort" element in the rest of the work.

My ranking so far:

1. Playing For Time
    2. Panopticom
    3. The Court
    4. I/O

(Panopticom and The Court are really 2a/2b, but that's no fun.)

Willow Farmer likes this.
  3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I love "Panopticom" and "The Court".
    "Playing For Time" was a bit of a letdown imo, but "I/O" is decent enough.
    Enjoying the new stuff so far.

Squad 701 and bluedemon25 like this.
  4. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Downside Up is such an epic song. Blew my mind when I saw him play it in 2004, which was probably the first time I heard it (didn't have Ovo at that point I think). Hard to imagine that in a few weeks time he'll be hitting the road.

5. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

Is it? In the world we're living in right now? Sure doesn't seem like that to me.

bdfin, Ere, jacden and 10 others like this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I love Peter Gabriel’s music and am looking forward to this album when it lands but with the exception of the first song, I’m not listening to any others until the whole thing is released and I can enjoy it as a whole body of work.

morgan1098 and Paul H like this.
  7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Have to agree. Anyone that notices synchronicity in their life knows there something more at work.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

Love the bass sound on “i/o.”

Trag and Leskanic's Thread like this.
  9. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Love the drums sound on "i/o"!

10. FarcicalEpiphany

FarcicalEpiphany Forum Resident

The bridge/ chorus of “I/O” sounds very much like “Beautiful Day” by U2.

11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I thought that this morning too.

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

So bored waiting for this album to come out ... I think they announced this thing way too early.

Squad 701 and Marvin like this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Sure is boring to have to endure brand new stuff every two weeks
    ... what a drag

Elliott908, ARK, Ere and 7 others like this.
  14. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I see what you did there! :laugh::cheers:

Squad 701 likes this.
  15. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I tell you what’s boring, listening to people moaning about it every two weeks!

ARK, cartolp, furthermore and 11 others like this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

While, I typically would do the same myself, since I will be seeing PG in September, I want to become familiar with at least the First 8 Songs, which will have dropped individually by that time to enjoy hearing them live. I had not even listened to the First 4 Songs yet, despite having checked out this Thread off and on, but think I will do so this weekend. Being Easter makes sense to give these released 4 Songs a listen, as seems like PG has been resurrected from the dead(or a deep sleep, despite a few New Songs released the past 20 years).

It would be nice to know in advance if PG plans to play the Bright Side or Dark Side Mixes of these New Songs(or a combination of both options) on his upcoming Tour. Guess, I will need to look at his initial Tour Stops on Setlist.FM to see if the Songs mention which Mix was played and if the Setlist remains the same for each City, which was typical of the other Post 2000 PG Tours. Would have been awesome(but expensive), if PG played several Cities for 2 Consecutive Nights, with One Concert playing the Bright Side Mix and the other Concert playing the Dark Side Mix, assuming I love both Versions once I start to listen to them. I have not read here yet, if there has been a consensus on if for the First 4 Songs, that most people prefer the Bright Side or Dark Side Mix, or if there have been different takes based on each Individual Song.

I will reply back here in a few weeks with my own take after giving the First 4 Songs(Both Mixes) several listens.

On a related note, I need to listen to the New Songs that The CURE had played last Fall on their European Tour Stops, as not sure if their New Album will be released before I see them this June.

JeffMo likes this.
  17. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I would guess that he'll have a live arrangement for these songs that's not the same as either mix.

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

How boring!

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

That's right...the Genesis BBC thread is much better....the moaning is at least constant over there...none of this 2 week interval nonsense.:winkgrin:

20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I think I/O (song) is fine. It's not PG's greatest moment not his most adventurous song, but it's a good song arranged and performed well. I'm still just happy we're getting new PG material long after I thought we never would again.

Yes, there may be a glass half full sitting next to me.

21. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

This may be a really dumb question but with the differences between the bright and dark side mix. Is that something he can actually do play one versus the other or is that something that has to happen in the studio to do whatever well makes it I feel kind of stupid admitting this but while I hear some differences between the tracks I haven't listened to them enough to memorize it and I'm not sure I understand what's actually contributing to the difference between dark and bright is it how they're playing it or post recording processing whatever you would call that in a studio

22. bluedemon25

Oh yes we have proper moaning there none of that dodgy stuff.

23. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Different mixes = different studio treatments

bluedemon25 likes this.
  24. bluedemon25

Ah okay So in the studio. I thought someone commented about him playing it maybe I'm missing a really obvious thing here. Is there a way for him to play the dark mix on some nights and the bright one on others? I mean like playing it live or does it imply that he has to have backing tracks cover the dark or live choice or something to that effect? Certainly it's a curious idea I can't get my head around how one would play one verse the other live.

25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Easy. Edit the necesary tracks together in the desired form.