Peter Gabriel "So" - Sibilance on record

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheDutchOwner, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDutchOwner

TheDutchOwner Member Thread Starter

So, I got this record yesterday, used. It's in quite a good condition, but there is quite a bit of sibilance, mainly on Peter's vocals. I read that this is a common problem found on the original "So" record, and isn't a turntable related problem. It can't really be damage, because Kate Bush's vocals are absolutely fine, and most of the high-end instrumental too. What happened at the mastering that makes Peter Gabriel a snake at times? Does he just sing like that?!

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It was always a very bright album. Either brightly recorded, or brightly mixed.

3. TheDutchOwner

TheDutchOwner Member Thread Starter

Yes, the CD version has quite a sharp high-end too. But it seems it wasn't optimally mastered for vinyl, thus the high-end distorts, if I get this right.

4. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

I have the same problem with "Thriller", especially "Billie Jean". Sounds like some of the vocals were also miked a little too close.

5. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

I have the Nimbus CD, the Geffen US and the Hit compilation. They all sound with the same boosted treble.

When I was listening to Big Time, I even got scared that my Onkyo receiver was malfunctioning! I had to put the treble control to almost the 6 o'clock position. Then I put Steam (original Geffen US CD) and the sound difference was even refreshing to my ears!

Big Time sounds the same on my computer... what the hell? It was one of my favorite songs, now I cannot enjoy it fully :sigh:

6. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Indeed, I also have the Geffen US and also find that although it's a "lively" sounding CD it's got a nice low end (African drums and such.) What baffles me is the track "Big Time." This is the only track that sounds as if the bass control knob has been placed at its minimum setting. Absolute phase anomaly perhaps? Any opinions?

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The only 'not as harsh' Big Time I've come across is from the Canadian B.G. Press lp, but as with other pressings sibilance is present on other tracks, especially Don't Give Up
    Comparing to the
    US 7 inch 45, Nimbus UK maxi single cd and the 'Shaking The Tree' comp

8. imajindat

imajindat Forum Resident

I have had 14 different copies (no exaggeration!) and every single one had bad sibilance..."In Your Eyes" was unlistenable...like nails on a chalkboard.

9. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

The worst offender in my collection, and it's not even close.

imajindat likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, basically every copy i've listened to is awful. here's hoping the forthcoming 45 RPM release is better.

11. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Never had a problem with this one. Certainly not awful.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  12. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Yeah, thought I had bad copies or alignment issues with this one. I just don't play it on vinyl.

13. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

this is definetly a cd album

14. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I bought this in good condition (1986 issue) today an NOW I found this thread! Definetly hissy at places. I'm still able to enjoy the album though. Haven't gotten to the dreaded Big Time yet. So far I've found the bass pretty good.

c-eling likes this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Is there any decent (33 1/3, please) vinyl pressing of this album? I know there's been some reissues, but I don't know what the verdict was on them. I had two 80's pressings at different points, and they both sucked, for the OP's stated reasons.

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The issues I had with my Canadian BG cut were user error related.
    Sibilance disappeared after adjusting my VTA

marcb likes this.
  17. Dynamic Range ratings:
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database
    Memory:
    So, was into this title late Nineties.
    So, many years & systems ago.
    So, do remember sssssibilance.
    So, don't go for re-masters.
    So, Wiki on recording:
    So (album) - Wikipedia
    So, ribbon mikes were used for vocals in a "cheap" room w/a analog board.
    So...

18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I couldn’t find it from searching. Is there a general consensus on which vinyl release has the “best” sound from the original pressings, 45rpm remaster, 25th anniversary etc.?

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the 45 rpm reissue definitely addresses the sibilance issues.

20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The CD was fine, the vinyl was so-so....

;)

21. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Maybe he was trying to match the sssibilance of his old bandmate's Sussudio record released a year earlier.:D

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I listen to the version on YouTube. :)

23. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I think I have this title in all 3 old formats (LP, CD, cassette).

With my CD (early US issue), I noticed the sharp treble decreases when I flip the "POLARITY SWITCH" on my iFi Micro iDSD Black Edition DAC. IMHO, the tone is more balanced and there's better spatial placement & focus with the recorded elements (especially vocals, percussion, etc). Of course I don't fancy myself an audiophile, so, maybe somebody else can confirm or refute this. Using Foobar, there's a plugin that can be added labeled "Simple Polarity Inverter (L&R)". When comparing the inverted polarity sound to non-inverted, don't be fooled thinking the one with more treble is always correct. Focus on the spatial imaging. One is usually more open/spatial sounding compared to a closed in or flat pancake texture.

24. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I just thought about that and went back on this post to write it in, and you beat me by 19 minutes!cwd

sunking101 likes this.
  25. The Classic Records Hand Select version sounds great... but has sibilance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.