Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Here is the email I received from yesterday:

Thank you for contacting Farfetch.

I am pleased to know of your interest in the Technics Grey SL 1200 G Direct Turntable.
    This will be shipping from our partner, Browns Warehouse in the United Kingdom and shipping will be free.
    Please know that there are no duties that you will need to pay when shipping to US.
    If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
    Renson B.

www.farfetch.com

Aftermath likes this.
  3. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Monsieur Gadbois likes this.
  4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Such a wonderful sentence!:love:

5. On one web page which I can no longer find (natch), I saw mentioned the forthcoming release of the SL-1200C, a “consumer” model of the 1200mk7 (which apparently is being marketed to DJ’s and not to home users). I believe the reference was in a UK blog. Can anyone point me to a link?

Never mind—I just found a different report, this one by John Darko, released earlier today:

A closer look at the Technics SL-1500C, SL-1200 MK7 | Darko.Audio

6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Billy Budapest likes this.
  7. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Well, for the price of the G as shown above, Technics will put everybody out of business. The knock out punch. at that price, many tables cannot touch it at triple the price.

displayname likes this.
  8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If anyone is still interested, Panasonic (Encompass) did finally ship out my G/GAE head shell. It's scheduled to arrive on Monday.

snorker and oregonalex like this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Same here. Now I need another cartridge for it...:winkgrin:

SamS likes this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Welp, mine showed up today. Based on the packaging, it’s made in Japan with a manufactured date of Jan 24, 2019. Which is a matter of days after I placed the order. Almost like they’re making these “to order”? Because now the part ship date is 56 days out.

For a spare cart, I’m thinking of getting a Nagaoka MP-200. You?

snorker and recstar24 like this.
  11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Interesting. They’re probably all allotted for the SL-1200G assembly line until an order is placed. Yes, mine arrived today as well.

I’ve not yet decided on another cartridge...right now I’ve been swapping between the Benz Micro Wood SL and a KAB Ortofon Concorde Pro S 40, so I haven’t needed the extra headshell yet. I’ve also got a Shure M35x mounted on a Technics M5G headshell...the one that includes a screw-on weight. I don’t use that one very much, as the other two carts are superior. Anyway, let me know how the Nagaoka turns out.

12. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

For anyone with an SL1200GAE or G with magnesium arm, the Stanton HS4 headshell is manufactured from the same material (I use several - Atlantic Electrics UK, £14.99 Stanton H4S Professional Magnesium DJ Tonearm Headshell - Includes 2 & 4 Gram Weights *).

I don't really hold with huge differences in sound from any well made headshell but I must say these seem every bit as good as the original Technics (likewise ADC magnesium headshells I've had for years), weigh only slightly more & include additional weights if needed.

(* warning when opening link: part of this product description may upset 'audiophiles' of a paranoid disposition)

13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I always knew the SL1200G was a DJ deck. This is the definitive proof.

Drewan77 likes this.
  14. Anyone else interested in seeing this?

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Like about 2 million people, I’d wager

Billy Budapest and punkmusick like this.
  16. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Rather than start a new thread, I'll put this here.

I recently tried a periphery clamp designed for the Technics 1200 TT from Wayne Audio. While the ring was nicely made, I sent it back. What wasn't disclosed was that the ring interferes with the dust cover in the back. The DC could be modified to fit, but given the $200 price tag for a new DC, I wasn't willing to take the risk. If you don't use the DC with the 1200, then this ring is a good deal and worth a look. One other consideration is that if you use the KAB fluid damper, the tray will have to be modified to clear the ring or removed. Kevin, at KAB, thinks the fluid damping is a better choice over a periphery clamp.

recstar24 likes this.
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Did not even know KAB is still in business. I last heard from them before Y2K ...

18. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

19. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Since I posted about a periphery ring clamp for my 1200G here, I'll continue. As I mentioned above, the ring sold by Wayne's Audio interferes with the 1200 dust cover. However, the ring was close enough that I was motivated to mill my own ring using my woodworking tools. To this end, I bought a 1/2" thick brass plate and used my bandsaw and router table to mill a ring. I came up with a 3.22 lb ring that works perfectly. I milled a 55 degree bevel in the underside of the ring since the 1200 platter is beveled. I did have to ease the inner edge of the back of my DC slightly since I had slight rubbing when opening and closing the DC. Given that I paid about $375 for the brass and mill bits and put in a lot of my time, I'm going to say that the ring makes a worthwhile difference. However, the arm damping already had a positive effect so the additional ring effect is subtle. Keep in mind, I had to modify my damping tray to provide enough clearance for the ring.

I had intended posting a couple pictures but I don't do any file sharing and I can't figure out how to post a picture otherwise. I did post over at the Decware Forum though and the post and pictures can be seen here: (reply 33 & 34) Forums - Anyone tried an outer periphery ring?

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

That is awesome - you should sell them.

21. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Making it gave me a new respect for what's already on the market. Considering the brass alone was $250 +$50 (freight) I don't know how they are so inexpensive. If Wayne would tweak his design (thicker, smaller OD) he'd have a winner. My guess though is that to make his price point, he had a bunch of them made. A "one-off" would easily top $1K.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Understood - but if you did say make 2-3 - you would most likely sell easily. I paid 650 for my lovely Mike New Bearing - that thing is a work of art - just like your ring.

23. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

Yea, his rings are stainless steel, and the one without the copper weights that is made for the Technics and other similar decks was selling for $349 over the holidays, hard to beat the price.

Are you using yours with the soft rubber mat, or something else? I'd think the extra weight with the rubber would be a little too much damping for the record and stylus.

24. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Are you guys sure 3.22 lb ring is not going to harm the turntable? The Technics 1200G manual states maximum weight of a record stabilizer 1kg, I would imagine it applies to periphery rings too:

[​IMG]

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I doubt that anyone spending the time/money for such limited results is going to care.

Erocka2000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.