Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy) Grandslam Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndyTaylor, Apr 26, 2023.

1. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. AndyTaylor

I picked up the double CD sets that came out in the early 2000s, there were a few good songs. No record company wanted to touch Phil with his bad reputation, so the band fizzled out. It was originally meant to be Sykes, Downey, Stanway and Nagel, the lineup that did the shows that came out as the excellent “Live in Sweden” album around the same time.

They’ve gone with Nineteen as the single which wasn’t even released as Grand Slam, it was released as a Phil solo song.

3. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

Argggghh, they want US$45 for shipping to NZ. That's BS.

4. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

I think Huey Lewis was supposed to have played harmonica on some of these?

~Ben

5. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

That's pretty steep mate :sigh:

6. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

I've switched it to a forwarding service, so $6 to get it there and probably NZ$40 to get it to me. Brutal, but not as brutal as their rates!

7. AndyTaylor

Some live stuff in the meantime.

What happened to Lawrence Archer? He was a hell of a player for a 19 year old kid.

carlwm likes this.
  8. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Is this legit? Previous Lynott-era Grand Slam releases have been semi-bootleg affairs at best.

I’ve always wanted Grand Slam to get more love so this is great news if it’s official!

9. Leigh Burne

To answer my own question - Having made some enquiries it seems this is another unofficial cash-grab, much like previous releases. Both Phil's estate and Lawrence Archer are apparently trying to block it's release.

Do with that info what you will, but I shan't be buying.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The single is available on streaming services.

Label: Cleopatra Records 2023
    Publisher: Chappell & Co - OBO Warner Chappell Music Ltd

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He's still playing with Grand Slam. Saw them live last year. Excellent in concert and the record is very good too. Sadly, even though he was with them when they initially reformed, Mark Stanway didn't stay involved for too long.

He was in UFO too, for a while. He appeared on their High Stakes And Dangerous Minds album, from 1992.

Mrc4u, Gezza, slipkid and 1 other person like this.
  12. AndyTaylor

Well that sure was depressing. They sound more like a Judas Priest tribute band than anything like Grand Slam.

carlwm likes this.
  13. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I've long thought that it would behoove the Lynott estate to simply release whatever Grand Slam material it has in order to head off Stanway and releases like this from setting the narrative, but the estate seems very reluctant to do that. I understand that it's largely demo quality, and the songs aren't among Lynott's best work, but it's still a part of his legacy, and it's a bummer that cut-rate releases like this are all we have of this late period of his career.

Woodville, slipkid and Leigh Burne like this.
  14. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

I got a shipping notice even though the release date is June 9

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Being in the room with them, they made a really enjoyable noise. Good songs, well played, at least for me. Melody & chops in equal measure. I do miss the keyboards though.

I did actually catch the original band live, when I was a young 'un. Hard to compare them to the current band because Phil was struggling, bless him. In retrospect, though, I'm glad I'm able to say I saw him in concert. He was a rare talent.

16. Johnny the Fox

Johnny the Fox hot to hustle

I guess the question is what’s new here that has not been released before? Not sure what “incredible new mixes” can add to the source material.

17. Leigh Burne

It may well be, but as I said, Archer and Phil’s estate are attempting to block it. Seems it’s Mark Stanway putting out his poor-qualify tapes again without consulting or involving the rest of the band.

It’s a shame because people in the know say there’s a good amount of professional-quality Phil Grand Slam stuff in the vaults, but cash-grab releases like this make it unlikely we’ll ever hear any of it.

18. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

hm....on the surface it does seem like a very nice product!

19. AndyTaylor

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

As generally a fan of improvisational, more unconventional live music, I'm not sure I need it, and certainly not if it's unofficial. But of all the mainstream rock bands, Lizzy is one of my favorites, as they always delivered the goods.

footlooseman likes this.
  21. Leigh Burne

Laurence Archer’s released a statement about this set, and he’s not happy.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just commented in Dr. Mike's thread here:

Grand Slam box set - Slam Anthems - 9 June 2023

That thread came up first in my search. But just saw this one....maybe we can get them merged..

Anyways, it does sound like this is more of the same Stanway stuff and disheartening to read above that Archer gets screwed out of his just dues. Nevertheless, as an insane Lizzy/Phil addict, if this is any previously unreleased material in halfway listenable sound (I already have the older Stanway releases) I'll pick it up anyway.

That being said, when/if Archer releases his new album I'll pick that up as well.

23. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

i saw Grand Slam just the once in the Autumn of 1984 at a club in Preston called 'Clouds.'...Phil was looking a tad bloated but he put in a decent performance and the gig was good but nothing spectacular..the between songs banter from Phil was still there though, i remember him saying that if he had the chance he would liked to have bed Tina Turner and Kate Bush, lol..

footlooseman and slipkid like this.
  24. AndyTaylor

Phil Lynott, classy to the end.

25. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

I have often wondered if Lizzy hadn't split up and Phil could have sorted himself out, then what they would have been like if they had continued,,At the end of the day it was Gorham that ended it all, he wanted out so he could clean himself up..Lizzy could have carried on with Phil, Sykes and Downey and got another guitarist in to replace Scott..Sykes and Downey would have deffo continued with Lizzy, they both loved Phil and the band..Looking back, i reckon they could have got Laurence Archer or someone like John Norum in as their 2nd lead guitarist,but they would probably have had a more Metal sound to carry them thru the 80's., and personally i would have ditched Darren Wharton, no disrespect to Darren but Lizzy were always at their best as a 4 piece, plus the fact i don't really like keyboards in hard rock music, thats why i have never been a huge Deep Purple fan..Jon Lord magnificent keyboard player but there were too much of his keyboards in Purple's sound and it spoils it for me.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    Pouchkine and footlooseman like this.