Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Looks like I missed a new song debut (Sigma Oasis) and Buried Alive so far!

Erik B. likes this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I've never seen Phish at Deer Creek or Alpine but I've seen the Dead at both, Alpine 88 and 89, Deer Creek 89 and 90.

Crispy Rob, trd and warewolf95 like this.
  3. jonwoody

And you got Guelah Papyrus a song I've been chasing since Hampton 98! However I have to insist as an old-time put your phone away until set break and dance!

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I was there for Chocolate and Cinnamon but had to fly out on the Sunday for work Monday. That was a mistake.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. jonwoody

Sorry you had to go I saw all three that weekend Chocolate may have been my favorite of the three actually.

Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and lucan_g like this.
  6. warewolf95

No, I didn't. I couldn't make the show tonight :(

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Never seen a show there, legendary place. Surprised they still had hippie shows there after what happened to the Dead in 1995.

Still, guess my 3 journeys out to the Gorge will have to suffice. I jumped off tour in '97 in Pittsburg right before the Deer Creek run. 10 days or whatever was just about all I could handle. Torrential downpour in Virginia in a rental car so badly damaged by my touring partner, I couldn't roll up the window. Thankfully friend In Virginia helped me get it fixed, but conversely I could not roll the window down. The car was rented on my partners dime, under his name, but I was tasked with returning it. The window was broken but I never heard anything else about it. Ahhh the folly of youth.

8. jonwoody

Oh no sorry Ware I thought you were there dude!

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. jonwoody

Yes the folly of youth indeed and speaking of the Gorge another venue I would love to see a show and haven't.

10. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Yep!

11. David Beckwith

The only two midwest Phish shows I've seen (8-13-96 Deer Creek and 7-14-19 Alpine) were two of the most memorable ones of my career...such special, magical venues.

Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yep. You are only young once...but I keep trying.

lucan_g likes this.
  13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That was my first show too!
    Other than Bouncing, I don't remember too much of it. The Aquarium Rescue Unit -> Widespread Panic set was the definite highlight of the day.

14. warewolf95

It's ok dude, I certainly tried and @wavethatflag helped a ton as well!!! :)

They got my 2nd favorite KV song (and the one least played!) Everything is Hollow, and they got my favorite Big Boat song Breath and Burning, but, Ha Ha Ha, jokes on them, they got The Curtain WITHOUT the With!!!! :laughup:

Attendance bias notwithstanding, I genuinely prefer the first sets I got on Fri and Sat :)

EDIT:

NO! THEY GOT IT's ICE! THEY WILL PAY FOR THAT!!!! :(

wavethatflag and musicarus like this.
  15. David Beckwith

The lack of Curtain With was more than made up by that pitch perfect Mound...I was really hoping to see that at MSG, but alas! Unlikely now.

16. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

With=Reba IV-V. Just sayin’...just always wantin’...

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Wolfie missed his Soul Planet

warewolf95 and johnnypaddock like this.
  18. warewolf95

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Crap...feels bad man!

I missed Soul Planet and Ice!

I know I kinda cant complain cuz I hit the jackpot the first 2 nights but it still hurts lol

:p

Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  19. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Not to nitpick- But since a few people
    Have posted similar comments recently I wanted to say that this isn’t true. Lots of jazz guys play complex stuff cleanly into their old age as when they were young. It’s not the sort of thing you physically lose w age.
    It’s lack of practice that causes this. If Trey spent an hr a day practicing just the really hard bits like the end of hydrogen etc, then he could still do it like the old days without the ghost notes and flubs.
    I totally understand and respect how he would not care to do this and have other priorities w his time, music and life, which all seem be going well for him.
    To make an analogy, many people do something tedious an hr a day like use a treadmill etc and it’s exactly the same, in other words a choice he has made. Back when there were way less songs and they played this stuff everyday the gigs themselves might have been practice enough. But now they’re more spread out they really require homework, from a musician of any age.

Sorry For the novel haha. :)

adamos, jay.dee, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It’s cool hearing your new stories, too.

Monroro, adamos, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Deer Creek is nice but I’d takr the Gorge over it in a heartbeat. Never saw Phish at Deer Creek or anyone at Alpine, but saw all the GD Deer Creek shows from ‘91 on and it was certainly one of the best venues of those years until the “fans” crapped all over it in ‘95.

warewolf95 and Instant Dharma like this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wait. Did they also play HaHaHa?

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Weird. Like Harpua, I’ve seen a few of both, but none in ages. The last Forbin/Mockingbird I caught was Portland, OR in ‘95, and that was the only one I’d seen since 12/31/92.

warewolf95 and David Beckwith like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Never miss a Sunday show are words to live by. Unless Wilco plays a Dark Star->St Stephen with Bob Weir 45 minutes away, which is one time I was glad I chose that over the Sunday Phish show. But I still saw a Sunday show, technically, which I think is the key.

25. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Agreed! I had known Phish since I went to college up in Vermont and had heard Junta cassette) and Lawn Boy (original CD) a year early. But I knew nothing whatsoever about ARU or Widespread Panic. Without a doubt, Panic was the highlight for me that day.

posnera likes this.