Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Speaking as a guitarist myself, do we know if Trey has any medical issues affecting his playing?

Cuz he does flub a lot, but many times he is getting the notes but picking or strumming so quiet that it doesnt sound like it

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That's been going on for a while. Maybe it's age, I don't know. EVH was crushing his runs even in old age. I give Trey a lot of slack (I give myself a lot of slack), but when he doesn't nail the DWD solo, it bothers me. But I love Phish, I love the shows, and as a Deadhead I'm used to giving my principal players a lot of slack.

I think it's the non-Deadheads that have the toughest time giving Trey slack. Just a theory of mine. And I hate to articulate it that way, because "without a net" is a definite thing, and you take the good with the bad, and it doesn't bother me to the point where I'm ever going to stop listening to either. I even hate to use the word "bother." I'm trying to put into words a mode that doesn't need them.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    adamos, budwhite, trd and 1 other person like this.
  3. warewolf95

I'm pretty much with you. It annoys me, but it's not like 1995 Jerry or anything. :p

4. wavethatflag

Maybe he's got problems feeling his fingertips or something. I mean once you've played Stash 100 times, how do you not know when or how to hit the next note? Or maybe it's a really complicated and non-intuitive piece. It certainly sounds intuitive.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. warewolf95

That's exactly why I asked if he maybe has nerve or muscle problems or something in his arm/wrist. Alex Lifeson had some issues towards the end of Rush that affected his playing a bit.

As you say, in my mind (as a fellow guitarist), that stuff is intuitive, imo. I mean, I suck, and I can pick up my axe and play something I learned a year ago pretty quickly. If he's played Stash that much I don't see why he should logically be having that hard of a time.

etc etc etc :)

Now, other things like Forbin or McGrupp that only get played once in a blue moon's blue moon I don't expect to be perfect unless he noticeably put in time to rehearse. Stuff like that you gotta refresh, for sure.

But even the crazy complicated stuff like Reba or Fluffhead should be relatively "simple" at this point as far as having muscle memory and all that.

But I could be wrong! Who knows, ya know?

wavethatflag likes this.
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Bass!

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I do, and I think his assessment is on point.

I mean, I think Trey is always doing something musically, so I don't mean to imply that he's lazy or not trying. But I don't think he practices stuff he's already written, or scales/exercises and that kind of thing, that previously enabled him to so effortlessly play the kind of stuff he used to. And...you kinda need to. I mean, I'm sure Satriani still practices "Satch Boogie" once or twice before starting a tour, y'know?

musicarus, Coltrane811 and warewolf95 like this.
  8. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Keep in mind Trey also had a serious drug problem for a while that can also rob you of some ability or accelerate the process for sure. And agreed Trey and the band as a whole don't practice enough.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That definitely affected the end of the 1.0 and all of the 2.0 eras, but he should be back to normal now.

I very much noticed an improvement in his technique in 2015...he probably practiced more for the Fare Thee Well shows than he had in years (or has since).

10. jonwoody

Yes I consider 2015 to be the highpoint of 3.0 the band to me has been declining since then Trey especially.

trd and warewolf95 like this.
  11. trd

trd Forum Resident

:cheers: I can get behind this

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. warewolf95

When I marathoned 2009 and 2010 his playing definitely seemed fine on a physical level - any sloppiness sounded like lack of practice rather than anything possibly related to age/drug use effects, etc

He might have unforeseen long term effects from the drug use that are only coming on slowly now or something. A close relative of mine has been clean for 20 years but has all kinds of muscle and memory issues as a result of decades of heroin and alcohol abuse.

13. wavethatflag

But, the thing is, you're still young. Trey is like three years older than I am. But that still doesn't seem to be nearly old enough to have problems hitting strings. On the other hand, he's got a lot of live show wear in his limbs. I think it's gotta be his hands or wrists having a problem somewhere. Total speculation though.

Maybe he just doesn't give a **** about nailing those old songs all the time. He want to rock out on "Soul Planet." The ocean is love.

adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  14. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Bingo.

15. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

2012-2015 is my vote for extended peak of 3.0, but the absolute best 3.0 tour has got to be Fall 2013. Sooooo many great jams. While the best show of 3.0 remains 8/31/12.

16. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

He improved quite a bit in 2015 when he had to get ready for Fare Thee Well. So I think it's mostly lack of practicing.

adamos, jonwoody, walrus and 2 others like this.
  17. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Fall 2013 is maybe my favorite tour of 3.0 as well.

I recently went through Fall 2018 and really enjoyed it! Some great jams on that tour.

18. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

3.0 voting

Best tour jam wise: summer 2015
    Best show: 10.31.14 -- mind blown (and I wasn't there)
    Best run: Bakers' (Hard to say it was downhill after 2015 when Bakers was 2 years later)

I am tempted to give 2012 the nod for most consistently creative setlists (which makes it a very fun year).

20. jonwoody

I was at 10/31/14 a truly weird and epic show. Sadly as it was my first and only Halloween show I uh overdid it a bit partying and my memories are pretty spotty. Also as far as Fall 2013 goes I just did Hampton but I have to say that Sunday night show was pretty epic.

Oct 20, 2013 Setlist - Phish.net

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Great setlist. I would love for Paul and Silas to re-enter rotation...

Mike Dow and warewolf95 like this.
  22. jonwoody

It was great fun and the Paul and Silas was a pivot they were going to open with Tweezer but Trey saw some guys dressed as Where's Waldo and said it reminded him of prison stripes so here's a song about prison, to paraphrase. That was my first Paul and Silas and then because that's how these things go I saw it again two years later at the LA Forum.

Jul 22, 2016 Setlist - Phish.net

Decent setlist but I was absolutely wiped from the 3 BGC shows prior we did get passes to the Forum Club however which was cool here is a pic of the cake they had in the club.

[​IMG]

23. warewolf95

2018 is pretty terrific too. Ive heard 6 summer shows, 1 fall show and the New Years run.

Not a poor gig in the bunch

JayB and wavethatflag like this.
  24. wavethatflag

Mugrug12, musicarus, adamos and 4 others like this.
  25. jonwoody

I consider Bakers to be an outlier it was amazing all three shows I saw were great. But later that year at Dick's I thought the shows were fairly meh except for Friday night set 2.

SET 2: No Men In No Man's Land > Carini > Ghost > Harry Hood > Cavern

wavethatflag likes this.