Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'm listening to parts of it today. Some of the bizarre improv is fascinating and some of the mistakes in the songs turn out sort of cool sounding (like when the "we breath deep" voices in Split Open come in out of sync) but I don't suppose this will ever be a vault release.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Burn It Down is coming out on vinyl. I actually really enjoyed this one as a stream, but probably will pass on it as a triple. If they'd configured it as a double LP i'd probably bite. I feel like it's among the more focused of Trey's live releases.

https://treyanastasio.shop.musictoday.com/product/T5LP13

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the socials, Trey has announced that Dezron Douglas is the new TAB bassist and they are touring this summer after Phish.

trd and adamos like this.
  4. gdpeck

gdpeck Forum Resident

I wonder if the vinyl will be a different mix / mastering than the LivePhish download: Trey Anastasio - Burn It Down . The production credits on the download are very similar to what/who is listed for the vinyl. I think I might go for the download, as I find myself not having a lot of time to listen to vinyl, especially the part about flipping a record every 20 or so minutes. That orange vinyl is really nice looking though.

5. trd

trd Forum Resident

Interesting that he went with a serious jazzer. Seems like a complete 180 from Tony. Which I’m assuming was precisely the point.

Crispy Rob, adamos and walrus like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I assume the mix will be the same. I don’t mind the flipping if the sides are full-length and musically make sense, but this one doesn’t really seem made for an LP tracklisting. (Although at 3 LP’s they could’ve expanded it by a few tracks to make it more vinyl friendly. Oh well)

7. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

He’s such a fantastic player and I’m really stoked to hear him with Trey. The lockdown record he did with harpist Brandee Younger is one of my favorite records of the last year—such incredible groove.

adamos and trd like this.
  8. trd

trd Forum Resident

thanks for the tip!

9. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Curious to hear the summer solo tour. For whatever reason the Trey solo shows I’ve seen have all been OK to mediocre. Nothing to set me on fire. I’ll catch the Deer Creek Phish shows in August, but by the time the solo tour comes around I’ll be back in Texas with no local shows.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Got a presale ticket today for TAB in Philadelphia this September. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Dezron Douglas.

warewolf95 and johnnypaddock like this.
  11. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I was there ... but got there late ... missed the first set .... :-( but, considering I woke up in Santa Cruz on the morning of December 31st, it's kind of amazing I was there at all! At least I was in the building for sets 2 & 3.

GoodKitty, Crispy Rob, trd and 2 others like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Except me, lol. I posted something about most of those Europe '96 shows in this very thread, not too long ago...

thanks for the link, though. that's cool.

13. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I enjoyed your recent recollections.

14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Me too! :)

Billy_Sunday and trd like this.
  15. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Just about everyone got there late—one of the harshest security entrance experiences ever. The girl I was dating at the time wasn’t a fan, and this was her first experience at any type of Dead/Phish/jam show. “Taken aback” doesn’t quite cover it—she was utterly freaked out by what she was witnessing. When we got close to the security area and they asked us to separate into men/women’s lines for a patdown, she flipped. A very kind (but VERY crusty) young lady saw my predicament and came over, offering to take care of her until we could be reunited inside. Some 30 minutes later, we found each other. My girlfriend was apoplectic, but that energy helped us make it to our seats just as house lights went down. Trey even referenced it early in the show, asking if everybody made it in yet.
    Oh, we broke up the next morning, and it was a silent, uncomfortable drive back to the NY area. But a terrific show!

16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Someone on Reddit shared this (very small) photo of the ominous storm cloud from 7/14/00

[​IMG]

It's wild to think back to a time when I was so disconnected that I wouldn't have known a storm was coming, I was brutally unprepared for any kind of rain that day.

I saw every show on Summer tour 2000, the final 2 at Polaris didn't quite live up to the previous 3 at Deer Creek, but there's a lot of great playing in the 7/15/00 show.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember on the 12/31/93 tape Trey says "everybody in yet?" during the break in Guelah.

Larry Schmidt and warewolf95 like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Trying to remember, did you mention 7/23/96 in Hamburg? I had a tape of that and I remember it was less stoned than the Melkweg, but still a different vibe than their U.S. shows.

warewolf95 and trd like this.
  19. Billy_Sunday

Good story ... except for the post break-up drive home...

By the time my friends and I got there, security lines were not an issue. My flight from SF got to Boston in the late afternoon, and although it was still like 3 hours or so until showtime, it took us a couple of hours to get to the Centrum.... I believe we had to pit-stop at said friends' hotel room on the way, which also added to the delay... of the roughly ~150 1.0 shows I attended, this is the only one I ever arrived late to.

GoodKitty, trd and warewolf95 like this.
  20. Billy_Sunday

Well, dang, it looks like I did not! I'll have to "fix" that! The 7/23 Hamburg show was definitely a good one, WAY better than Amsterdam...

21. Auntie Pho

Auntie Pho Metal Dad

Did Alpine through Polaris. along with MMW at Summerfest on 7/6 and Phil & Dylan at DC on 7/9.

We kinda had an idea there was gonna be rain that day, I do remember bringing an extra long sleeve shirt. Watching that storm come in was pretty crazy. My crew got stubbed into the Pavilion, about 2/3 of the way back from the stage, in the center. The energy in the air when they came out and started playing Sample was crazy, but I was mostly watching the front roll in. I do recall Fish's cymbals were blowing all over the place. Once the rain started it was crazy, the sheets of it were coming in horizontally. We just hunkered down and watched everybody flee the lawn and try to cram into the Pavilion. I don't know if I saw any venue personnel for the rest of the night. There was like 9 inches of water rushing through the mezzanine between the lawn and pavilion. We were pretty convinced that they would come back and play Divided Sky, we really could not comprehend how they could not. In retrospect PYITE def made sense, but it was a let down in the moment, and we were pretty deflated from weathering the storm. Drowned also seemed a given, but probably would have been a hat on a hat. I have to hand it to the boys though, they really treated us to a very long, good show. And it was good. I do agree that DC was a more fun experience overall, and had higher highs, but 7/15 was damn good. The DWD > WMGGW was magnificent. Felt a little disappointed we didn't get the Have Mercy, and I can do without Bug, but it is pretty petty to complain about it.

22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Ahhh that Have Mercy tease!

We also did Phil and Dylan. Camped at Deer Creek for 4 nights!

Billy_Sunday, warewolf95 and trd like this.
  23. trd

trd Forum Resident

Me too. Alpine as well

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

The entire tour will be webcast. Get 22 shows in 4k for the low, low price of 600 dollars.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

While waiting for my connecting flight yesterday, my phone decided to serve up Harry Hood from the show I attended in 2013 (Hollywood Bowl).. Great way to pass the time while waiting to board and get a bite!!

Earlier in the week I heard Trey's song 'Architect'. I love that song, and although I know that Phish played it a couple times, I'd love to see them do it again.