Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'll take "Fat bulk expanse mass lump block clod Rabid victim martyr stranded" over "There's ten million colors on the soul planet Speak the language of love on the soul planet" every day.

2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Both incidental to the groovin' and the jam.

walrus and heathen like this.
  3. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Eh, disagree. One is fun, the other is cloying. Different strokes.

trd and Lownote30 like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can see this. But Hoist also has probably my favorite Phish studio recording in "Julius," a song that's never been properly recreated live with the horns and vocals and all that, so that kind of elevates the album for me. I agree it has a lot of tracks that maybe didn't become fully realized until they were played live after the album came out. Rift is kind of perfect as is, even if it doesn't perhaps typify the essence of Phish as well as some other things.

Billy_Sunday and adamos like this.
  5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Soul Planet 100% is like a song written in an Onion article to poke fun at Phish. It can develop into a good jam though, not going to beat it up too hard. If this was a Beavis and Butthead gimmick it’s Suck Planet all the way dude.

trd and heathen like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't heard the studio "Julius" in a long time, but I remember it had that nice call and response between Trey and the gospel chorus that was lost in Phish's live versions. Maybe he should do it with TAB (I don't think they've done any Hoist-era songs).

7. KDubATX

I’ll have to revisit at some point. Vegas was the clear warning sign. Watch Trey take a conspicuous bump at 1:30 before this YEM crashes and burns. “Oh no man he’s just adjusting something on his amp for a minute…”and then touching his nose a few times before stumbling around a trampoline and doing the whatever you want to call it dance. The awkward cringe shuffle.
    What is weird is that by and large Summer 2003 was the “sober tour” for Trey and things seemed to be in a positive space. Not sure what shifted there but it did in a big way.

Billy_Sunday, trd and mdphunk like this.
  8. walrus

Oh man I never thought about this but it'd make a great TAB tune. Although then there's the issue of backup singers and horns happening at the same time. But still. I know Phish did it a few times with singers or horns, but it's never gonna be as tight as the studio cut unless they had a few shows with guests to really get it right. There's just certain songs that are really intricate vocally like "If I Could" or "Rift," or involve extra musicians doing essential parts like "Julius" where I'm glad the studio records exist.

9. walrus

Ooof. That was pretty painful to watch/hear. I've never really dived into 2.0 aside from the studio LP's (Round Room, meh, Undermind is quite good), maybe it's best I don't.

ARK likes this.
  10. KDubATX

That’s about as bad as non Coventry Phish gets

11. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'm no expert on 2.0, and in fact the one 2.0 show that I saw turned me off to the band for quite a while, but IT is pretty darn good.

trd likes this.
  12. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

It looked like he was just adjusting his amp...?

13. KDubATX

Maybe so. Lots of sneaking a bump on stage going on at that point. The good old days before multi angle HD live video streaming all over the stage lol. Good to have sober Trey back any any event!

14. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

It is good that we can joke about that stuff now because he's (apparently) doing much better. Sadly it doesn't go so well for a lot of people.

ARK, trd and walrus like this.
  15. KDubATX

He’s safely crossed over into the rehabilitated soul planet people tribe now.

heathen likes this.
  16. walrus

I'm kinda surprised they actually have left some of these off nights up on LivePhish for so long. But I guess they figure not many people are going to listen to them anyways.

17. walrus

Noted. I don't really do DVD's anymore but maybe i'll grab the audio off LivePhish next time i'm feeling feisty.

heathen likes this.
  18. KDubATX

You’ve got it. In an archive it’s anonymous. Pull it and people get curious and go looking. I would anyway.
    The few shows that are missing from LivePhish stand out the most. I saw Trey on Halloween in 2006 I think 6 weeks to the day before he was busted. It was not a great show or a terrible show really, but it’s one of the few from the post 2003 era they never put up.

walrus likes this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Fluffhead does both. If you think about it.

20. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

To be clear I haven't seen the DVD either, so I can't comment on that. I bought the audio downloads.

walrus likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I may need to recheck but I think they only put selected Trey solo shows on LivePhish. However, as far as I know they've had every Phish show since 12/31/02 and have never deleted one, including the notorious 2004 dates.

22. walrus

i saw TAB at the Ryman in 2010, I think? And none of those shows came out, and I have no idea why.

KDubATX likes this.
  23. walrus

that music is so incredible it doesn’t even matter what the words are

24. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Wow, that's awful. And don't forget where he misses his guitar part at 4.35 'cause taking another drink was obviously more important.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The LivePhish app has rotating "featured shows" that are available to stream without buying a subscription. I was surprised a while back when they picked one of the Vegas 2004 shows to be one of those.

GuidedByJonO))) and warewolf95 like this.