Phono preamp upgrade. Where to go next?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wasabi, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need a good phono preamp in my family room setup and am thinking about moving my den's Lounge Audio LCR MKIII to it. I'm happy with the Lounge but I need something in the family room as I've been using the AVR's phono stage. I'd like to take this opportunity to upgrade my den setup a bit. My speakers are KEF LS50 Wireless and turntable is a Denon DP-60L with an Ortofon Bronze. There was a McIntosh MP100 on Audiogon yesterday for $1250 shipped I almost snagged but I think that's a bit overkill for my needs. The deal and the opportunity to upgrade other equipment around it was tempting. Thankfully, someone snagged it up quickly and killed my holiday exaggerated temptation. So back in the real world, I'm thinking in the $500-$800 new/used range is appropriate for my associated equipment. Should I be thinking Jolida JD9II?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Ivand likes this.
  2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The PS Audio GCPH is hard to beat in that price range.

Wasabi likes this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Parasound JC3 Jr is a nice upgrade from the Lounge. It can be had for about $1250 with a typical dealer discount.

Audio by Van Alstine has their $500 Vision Q preamp on BF special for $329.
    Use Checkout Code: bfcmphonopre

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

In the ‘cheap but good’ category, the usually $500 Musical Fidelity LX-LPS can be had for $250 on Amazon right now, and the LX2-LPS for $299.

I can’t really see any difference between the two except that they use different kinds of power plugs. Maybe someone else knows more there.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Gold Note PH-10 gets very good press and owner reviews, can be had for $1295. new. A Stage you can grow into.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The new Channel Island phono preamp is outstanding, it's about a grand new.

7. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Easy, if your range is from 500-800 go with a musical surroundings phenomena II+ or a used Nova.

cut-out, Echoes Myron, F1nut and 2 others like this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I second the Phonomena 2+. Bought a new one off eBay. Used a 20% off coupon to get the max $100 off. Excellent deal at $650. It might be overkill with a MM cart though. It's dead quiet with my Benz-Micro Glider SL. The loading options are great to dial it in.

I hear the Jolida is pretty good, but, the stock tubes are sub-par. Budget to roll tubes, if you go that route. So, this will probably run you over budget unless you find a deal on a used one with tubes rolled into it. I've seen a few deals like that on Audiogon, so it could be worth looking into.

Echoes Myron and TheVU like this.
  9. Wasabi

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.

I like what I read about the Parasound JC3 Jr. although it's going to cost me about what that MP100 would have and more than I'm *trying* to spend. I've always been a fan of Parasound stuff. Maybe I should splurge here? I'm curious on the overkill for a MM cart comment. Am I hitting a point of reasonable diminishing returns here by staying MM as I climb the phono preamp ladder?

10. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

The Mofi Studio is fantastic. I have zero upgrade-itis after buying it. Vinyl just sounds perfect.

displayname and Wasabi like this.
  11. Wasabi

I thought about picking up a Mofi StudioPhono, putting it in my family room and keeping the Lounge in my den. That may still happen.

12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

In my experience splurging on a phonostage is very worth it. Not speaking to any specific unit, but I feel this part of the chain is often underrated.

gakerty, Wasabi and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  13. Wasabi

Bringing this up again as I've decided to move the Lounge into my family room setup and spend the money on my better den setup. So I missed the great McIntosh MP100 deal and am now eyeballing the Parasound JC3 Jr. mostly. Again, I'd rather be in the $500-$800 range new/used but want to make sure that the upgrade will be noticeable enough so I'm open to going up to $1200ish.

Thanks again for all the great input.

displayname likes this.
  14. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I love my Sutherland, and I know several people that love the Insight as well. Often stacked up against the Parasound options, but I've never been lucky enough to compare both.
    If you keep your eye out for a used or open box Sutherland, it should hit your price point. If you're worried about used, I'll just say that I emailed Sutherland a question awhile back, and Ron Sutherland himself responded. Can't ask for much better service than that.

Echoes Myron and Wasabi like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have not heard the Sutherland KC Vibe but I'm curious about it. Also curious about the LCR Gold. I didn't like the response I got from Musical Fidelity so their stuff is probably out for me. Right now I'm testing a Graham Slee model that is in your budget @Wasabi . They have a loan program that you can do if you want audition their stuff. Other than that there is the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter. Lots of features for $1K. Maybe overkill for a phono pre if you don't make needledrops. The needledrops I've heard made with it sound very, very good.

Right now I have a MOFI Studio Phono on the main table. I am thinking of selling it because it doesn't play nice with one of my cartridges. I'll decide early in the new year.

displayname, Echoes Myron and Wasabi like this.
  16. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I have had the KC Vibe, Insight and now the 20/20 from Sutherland. They are all excellent for thier price point and every step up was a big improvement.

The Vibe retails for $900, the Insight $1400 and the 20/20 $2200

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Ever try the Vibe with higher output cartridges? How did it do at the 40db gain setting?

18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Wasabi and Roycer like this.
  19. Tom Littlefield

Yes I had the 2M Black with the Vibe, excellent match!!

patient_ot likes this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No overloading on dynamic peaks?

21. Tom Littlefield

Nope..

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Tavish Classic or Vintage. Blows the Lounge away. In your price point. I have the Classic and am very pleased. I have a thread about it currently.

octaneTom and Wasabi like this.
  23. Wasabi

Thanks again for the replies everyone,

On those Tavish preamps, what's the difference between the Classic and Vintage? The pricing looks very close. Also, they say sold out on the website. Any other good places to get one?

24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

How about the Sutherland KC Vibe? Pushes to the top of your budget, but I've heard very good things about it. I'm lusting after the DUO...

displayname likes this.
  25. Wasabi

On the Sutherlands, not to sound picky, but I'm not digging the silver. It just won't work where it needs to go.

GKH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.