Phono stage shortlist

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by woodpigeon, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi there,

looking for an upgrade over the built-in phono stage in a Yamaha A-S2100. To use with a Quintet Black and sometimes a Nagaoka MP-150. I would like something with easily adjustable loading so that in future it will work with something like a VM540ML, for instance, which apparently requires a lower capacitance loading.

The turntable is a Technics SL-1500C and the speakers are Dynaudio X38.

The local dealer can easily get hold of:
    - Chord Huei
    - iFi iPhono 3
    - Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2

There may be other good options too, though shipping to this part of the world is a bit patchy due to the pandemic. I wondered about:
    - Rega Aria
    - Vertere Phono-1 Mk II
    - Something by Graham Slee? Maybe a combo of step up and MM?

The Pro-Ject is perhaps a dubious option as it is further down the line than the Pro-Ject Phono Box RS, which I have already tried and ruled out due to hum issues in my system that I tried and failed to solve.

I am chasing a nice warm enveloping sound without sacrificing detail and speed. I like the former aspect of the Nagaoka cart and the latter of the Ortofon.

Am I aiming at the right price bracket for the rest of the system, and do these or any others stand out as a particularly better choice?

2. woodpigeon

Gee. That was long. In short:

Nice sounding phono stage around NZD $1-2k, works with MM and MC, please :D

Andy Saunders likes this.
  3. You might look at the Pure Audio LV1 (nz made) or the Dynavector P75 mk4.
    There is some feedback on the LV1 on the nz forum I told you about previously and the amp designer posts there to. Well worth checking.
    Soundline and other dealers carry the P75 which has been around for some time.
    I had both a mk1 and mk3 and found them both to be excellent and trouble free. Adjustment is internal and a little fussy but nothing to daunting.
    Shame you couldn't sort the Project RS. I run two arms into mine (rca and xlr)and love the ability to switch settings to match different cartridges in a few seconds.

woodpigeon likes this.
  4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I’d hold off on the iPhono 3 until more hit the streets. Reliability is unknown on the 3 at this point. The iPhono 2 was a mess.

patient_ot and woodpigeon like this.
  5. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Hello ..Im curious how the phono amp on the 1500c compares with your Yamaha built in sounds for MM cartridges...Myself I think the 1500c sounds really good with my setup.
    Sorry your other try didn't work out.

woodpigeon likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Vertere is excellent, I'm currently using mine with an AT VM95ML, but have also used it with £1,000+ MCs, it handles both with ease, very nice phono stage which will happily compete with more expensive options and one I'd recommend without hesitation.

woodpigeon likes this.
  7. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Musical Surroundings phono preamps sound great. And they have lots of adjustability for gain and load, to accommodate virtually any cartridge. (I've used both the Nova and Phonomena designs.)

Conster and woodpigeon like this.
  8. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

I've got a littlebear T11 which is a clone of the ear 834p. I wanted a tube pre and this unit works for me. If your good at tinkering you can replace some internals and it will sound even better. I also have the vm540ml and the capacitance of the T11 is around 100pf, plus cables gets me right at the 200pf that the cartridge is rated.

woodpigeon likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't use MC carts, but you can find feedback from people that use the Elevator (step up device) with a GS phono MM stage at the GS forum. GS also makes MC only phono stages. Depending on what you are looking at you could either buy the MM stage plus step up or one MM stage and one MC only stage. Up to you.

Graham Slee Audio Forum | HiFi System Components

woodpigeon likes this.
  10. woodpigeon

Thanks for the replies.

I popped into town today and have borrowed a used Musical Fidelity M1 Vinl, and a new Dynavector P75 Mk. 4.

The M1 Vinl is very nice so far. Takes a bit of the edge off the Quintet compared to the AS2100 built in stage. Lovely natural sound. Haven’t tried the Dynavector yet but I’ll post some notes about both later.

gmcjj, Roycer and HiFi Guy like this.
  11. woodpigeon

It’s good. I preferred the sound of the A-S2100 for MM, just had a bit more top end and life to it. But the SL-1500C stage is no slouch either. It sounded quite good with a 2M Blue.

Roycer likes this.
  12. woodpigeon

The M1 Vinl is something else. Beautiful balanced sound. Deep, impactful bass, lovely guitar, vocals and wind instruments, highs all there and very detailed without being piercing.

Dead silent, huge upgrade over the Yamaha’s built in stage, really well put together. The volume control on my amp is at halfway — ludicrous volume! — before you can hear much in the way of hiss.

Fiddling with the loading is a doddle, push button controls with a nice digital readout. Compare to removing the case and switching jumpers in the Dynavector, or noisy rocker switches in the Phono Box RS.

That and the second-hand price, it seems like a no brainer.

bluemooze, HiFi Guy and Roycer like this.
  13. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Congratulations...Now after all that enjoy your music.:thumbsup:

woodpigeon likes this.
  14. woodpigeon

I most certainly will. Thank you!

Roycer likes this.
  15. Dazz75

Dazz75 Member

How did the M1 Vinl and the Dynavector P75 Mk. 4 compare?

16. woodpigeon

I didn’t spend a lot of time with the P75. It may have sounded better but the ease of loading adjustment and second hand price (along with excellent sound quality) made the M1 an easy decision.

17. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

E.A.T eglo petit

18. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

Currently testing Graham Slee Accession MC (with the Enigma power unit). I have a high-end VdH Colibri cartridge and so far I am very impressed what this unit can do. I say it's only small in size, it's vast in audio quality and sonic performance. Those who do not know and what caught my own intention to hear this first hand - what makes this unit unique is Accession has a different EQing technique on RIAA/American/British corrections. They have a patent for it, which really works wonders in practice IMO - clarity, depth, imaging is just superb. I say hard to beat unit at this low price point. And that's from a guy who's rather die-hard higher end tube phono stage biased person.

I also like the EQ off feature that very few photo stages do - very helpful for playing 78rpms I run with a different cart, brings those 78rpms to 'full life' (unlike most phono stages where it's impossible to bypass the correction circuitry) and useful also for ripping vinyls I may need in the future by EQing them later with a specialized software for better/custom sonic results.

Another huge bonus: Graham Slee has that (mighty refreshing in today's mostly greedy market) 2 week loaner program that very few other manufacturers offer - you can try it out how it works and sounds in your setup, just pay for shipping - I highly recommend it to hear the Accession yourself.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.